RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2020, 03:24 PM   #1

Ca Coast to inland

Hello, we will be in NW California/SW Oregon wanting to head generally south and east. We will be in a 40' DP with an F150 toad. It should also be pointed out that I am originally from Florida and my mountain driving experience is...limited but improving. I'd like to ultimately end up on 395 southbound or I-80 eastbound.

What's the best (safest) way over the mountains and away from the coast?

Thanks.

Jp

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2020, 03:39 PM   #2

It kinda depends on if youre planning any stops in CA. If it were me, and we were just trying to get from NoCal to the 395, wed probably take the 5 to the 80 through Reno. You can take the 20 across, its fine, but its hilly and windy from the coast. And it gets windy again between Grass Valley and the 80.

MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:56 PM   #3

Where exactly? If your in the Brookings area, then two choices. CA20 east around Clear Lake or take 199 to Grants Pass. Either one will drop you on I5.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:02 PM   #4

Hwy 20 just north of San Francisco is a good crossing to I-5. Then I-80 or Hwy 50 to 395.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #5
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you look at this route closely and then reverse it you will come out in Williams Ca and can either through Sacramento or take a scenic route through Yuba City and out 20 which will intersect I80 and then on through Reno Nevada.

When going down hill in your rig select a lower gear to start. Don't let your speed get up and then rely on service brakes to slow you down. They can fade out and then you have problems. Get slow and stay slow. Notice how big trucks take the right lane and are not hammering their brakes or riding them.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:01 PM   #6

We were looking at both CA20 or 199. If they're straightforward we'll go for one of those, probably 20.

I have the mechanics of using the transmission/exhaust brake down pretty well. After 35 years in Florida I'm just still getting used to elevation that is measured in something other than inches.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:07 PM   #7
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Born and raised in Northern Calif. Traveled that 20 hundreds of times. We now live in Florida where it is indeed flat.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:56 PM   #8

With a 40' you are legal on all the highways, but if you are looking of "easier" routes from the CA coast, you might want to check the CA 45' foot Bus and Motorhome maps, for example https://dot.ca.gov/-/media/dot-media...p-d01-a11y.pdf

They will give you an idea of the easiest routes from the coast to I-5. Personally I have a 32' motorhome towing a Honda CR-V and stay off any of the red routes if possible.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:03 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Take your time and watch out for Calif. drivers! They are very impatient around rv's. Some do very strange and dangerous things when they get behind you.

egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote