Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #1

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
CA Insp. Stations In 95 South From Las Vegas

Are there any CA ag. inspection stations going south on 95 out of Las Vegas off I515 and into CA to catch I40 going east into AZ?
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We came that way last week and I don't recall passing an ag inspection station. I did comment at the time that we seemed to have passed through Ca without being stopped!

something for the weekend...1968 Vanguard Camper on 1989 GMC 2500
Open Roaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No...From Las Vegas, they catch you on south I-15 or west I-40 (if you use 95)
See here: CDFA > Help Protect California - BORDER STATIONS

Here's thier station map: http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PE/Exte...StationMap.pdf

Safe Travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Hi Folk; We will be traveling to California next summer. I have reviewed the Border Station website and found it informative but it did not answer the specific question: Do recreational vehicles have to enter the stations for inspection as all trucks do at weigh stations or do the inspections just occur on RV's when they may be pulled over by a LEO or inspector? Thanks.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #5

All vehicles including rvs have to stop entering California. They will ask you where you are traveling from and if you have any fruits and vegetables. Most cars, especially with California plates, only slow down and are waved through. Motor homes because there is more a chance that you are carrying fruits and vegetables will have to stop and they may ask to look in your refrigerator. We has one old dried up orange confiscated last time (with Idaho plates). When we went through before ( with Cal plates) they just waved us through after answering the question. If you say you are coming from Las Vegas they usually won't bother you. It seems the farther distant answer you give the greater chance of greater scrutiny.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Firewood

If you are hauling a load of split oak firewood in the bed of the pickup, they will also take that.

Seems "Oak Blight" is an imported disease from the mid-west.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceratto's Grotto View Post
Are there any CA ag. inspection stations going south on 95 out of Las Vegas off I515 and into CA to catch I40 going east into AZ?
I know I'm late to this party but can't resist inquiring:

Why does one need to ask such a question???
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

For myself, I self medicate on fresh fruit and didn't want to do all that shop lifting in Nevada in order to stock up on my fresh fruit drugs that were sure to get me arrested and thrown in jail at a CA AG check point anyway. I am just tired of dealing the bail bond issues, having to return to the state to appear in court, adding yet another crime to my fresh fruit rap sheet, the inevitable fines... and then there is the possible jail time and I already have some close friends. One time I tried to run the AG check point and they frowned on that too... go figure!
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceratto's Grotto View Post
For myself, I self medicate on fresh fruit and didn't want to do all that shop lifting in Nevada in order to stock up on my fresh fruit drugs that were sure to get me arrested and thrown in jail at a CA AG check point anyway. I am just tired of dealing the bail bond issues, having to return to the state to appear in court, adding yet another crime to my fresh fruit rap sheet, the inevitable fines... and then there is the possible jail time and I already have some close friends. One time I tried to run the AG check point and they frowned on that too... go figure!
I don't know about Nevada but in Oregon if buying fruit & vegetables you can get your sales slip stamped with "Permitted OK for California" or some such phrase and that is accepted by the AG inspection. At least we can get that stamp in our area but we live a few miles north of the CA/OR border. If you are stocking up in Las Vegas you might ask if they have a similar option. If you don't buy in Las Vegas you should be able to get what you need in Barstow.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Because the CA Dept of AG will confiscate any agriculture products from outside CA being carried by the public. This is intended to protect the state AG industry against infestations like insects and plant diseases.

So, if you are carrying fresh fruit, vegetables, live plants or other non-processed AG products (like cut firewood) in your RV which are not certified for import to CA, they are seized at the border...this can be expensive to the person with the products. This does not apply to canned or frozen food items.

These AG stations are often adjacent to a CHP Weight Station, so if anyone tries to run the station...they won't get too far
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, I can't imagine going a couple hundred miles out of my way just to bring illegal fruit/wood/houseplants across the border...but to each his/her own priorities!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Well, I can't imagine going a couple hundred miles out of my way just to bring illegal fruit/wood/houseplants across the border...but to each his/her own priorities!
Huh?

This is about those that are outside Taxifornia (with your 49 state fruit, veggies, house plants, wood, etc.) and need/want to enter the Golden State.

Yes, I said it - Taxifornia! Thanks to Prop 30, we now have some of the highest State mandated sales taxes in the U.S. -
http://www.boe.ca.gov/cgi-bin/rates_2013.cgi
Don't flame me - I live here and accept it as the price for all the sunshine
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Huh?

This is about those that are outside Taxifornia (with your 49 state fruit, veggies, house plants, wood, etc.) and need/want to enter the Golden State.

There's nothing in my post that indicates that I understood otherwise....?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Because the CA Dept of AG will confiscate any agriculture products from outside CA being carried by the public. This is intended to protect the state AG industry against infestations like insects and plant diseases.

So, if you are carrying fresh fruit, vegetables, live plants or other non-processed AG products (like cut firewood) in your RV which are not certified for import to CA, they are seized at the border...this can be expensive to the person with the products. This does not apply to canned or frozen food items.

These AG stations are often adjacent to a CHP Weight Station, so if anyone tries to run the station...they won't get too far
Our personal experience is this for what ever it is worth. It must be a typical experience.

We have entered California from Oregon and Arizona twice each of the past ten years. They have ask if we had fruit on board, if we say yes they ask what kind, we answer honestly ( we usually have an assortment) and in most cases they wave us through.

We have been boarded in the past two years and the only thing they have taken is some lemons we bought in Arizona at a supermarket.

Every time we have had a shower full (that's where they ride) of my wifes plants from Hawaii, we have carried them for ten years. They look but have never taken any.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote