Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2014, 11:33 PM   #1

Calif. Hwy 1

I have read various posts on the wisdom (?) of traveling Hwy 1 with a Class A, but I've always got the impression it was the portion from San Francisco south to LA. Is the northern portion also iffy as far as Class A travel? My wife and I want to do the Oregon coast down well into California before turning east to the valley and I5 back north.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Although there are sections on the NorCal coast which aren't too bad, I would still suggest using primarily US 101 and using the toad to explore the coast.

Spots like Fort Bragg and Mendocino can be accessed directly so you can shoot over from 101... stay on the coast... and then head back to 101 but I wouldn't use the PCH much for travel. Especially heading south where the DW will be hanging out over the cliffs much of the time.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #3

RickO is dead on. For example, stretch from Leggett to the coast, then just north of SF are especially problematic, seemingly making that whole section inaccessible in an RV. But lots are over there. Last time I was one of those RV'ers, I used 20 out of Willits to get to the coast. From there, you can go north or south either in the rig or the toad. We used 1 to work our way south to Bodega Bay, then went east to Santa Rosa. Great route and very RV friendly. The area between SF & Morro Bay isn't RV friendly at all. In that stretch I definitely find a park and use the dinghy. We have used the park at Pacifica, but it was just barely adequate for a 32'er. (Think there is a new one near Half Moon Bay which I'll try next time) Betabel, south of Gilroy, is a very nice park. The coastal areas from Santa Cruz to Monterrey can be accessed from there using 129. I'm pretty sure that's the road I used to get to what is now a KOA, but wasn't then, at Moss Landing. This time of year, I seem to remember their rates are greatly reduced. Access the southern end using a park at either Morro Bay or as far south as Pismo. If you head to Morro, come around thru SLO. 41 or 46, can't remember which, has a huge grade going down to the coast.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #4

Duly noted guys. Thanks for the advise.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #5

Hwy 1 doesn't run into Oregon - only California. In Oregon you'll be on 101 which is all RV-friendly. Have a great trip!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #6

I towed Camry on a dolly with my 32ft class C from Arizona to Huntington Beach, CA and then all the way up the 1 to Portland and back. I have also towed a 28ft toy hauler bumper pull up the 1 from AZ to Huntington and up to Santa Cruz then back. Don't worry about the 1, just get gas before you leave Morro Bay or Carmel as there are only a couple places to realistically get gas on that road and neither are very fun. Also, don't plan for a quick trip. There is no website that will tell you the actual speed you are going to be going, so they can't calculate the time. For example, Google maps says 123 miles from Monterey to Morro Bay and it takes 3 hours. I would say that it is more like 4.5 hours or more. Average speed if your lucky will be about 25mph - there are a few 15mph turns and there are hills most of the way.

I posted the above on a different website. My opinion is it depends on you and what and how comfortable you are at driving your RV. When I took my class C, I had only bought it a few weeks before my trip. I think planning is the best thing you can do. The 1/101 is the best road trip I know of. I wouldn't be afraid of it, just don't be in a hurry. There are plenty of big 5th wheels and RV's on that road and there is no law saying you can't be there. I have never heard of anyone having an issue on this road, only people saying to stay on the 101 (no offense to any of the previous posts - really haven't heard of anyone having problems).
Nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyadamn View Post
. I have never heard of anyone having an issue on this road, only people saying to stay on the 101 (no offense to any of the previous posts - really haven't heard of anyone having problems).
For me and my co-pilot, driving thru highly scenic areas with a 62' long, 36,000 lb rig is not enjoyable...especially when there is nowhere to stop, pull over, take a few pictures and savor the views. As the driver, I certainly cannot look at anything and have to concentrate on keeping everything on the road. We are not in a hurry and would rather park the motorhome in a reasonably-priced park or campground, then use the towed vehicle to do the sight-seeing. I am sure plenty of people have gotten into big-time trouble on the PCH, if not irritating just about everybody behind them. When we took our towed from Monterrey to Big Sur in 2013, half of the roadway in one spot had fallen into the ocean earlier in the year. Driving our rig thru that construction zone would have not been advisable. Sure, it was doable...but not necessary.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
For me and my co-pilot, driving thru highly scenic areas with a 62' long, 36,000 lb rig is not enjoyable...especially when there is nowhere to stop, pull over, take a few pictures and savor the views. As the driver, I certainly cannot look at anything and have to concentrate on keeping everything on the road. We are not in a hurry and would rather park the motorhome in a reasonably-priced park or campground, then use the towed vehicle to do the sight-seeing. I am sure plenty of people have gotten into big-time trouble on the PCH, if not irritating just about everybody behind them. When we took our towed from Monterrey to Big Sur in 2013, half of the roadway in one spot had fallen into the ocean earlier in the year. Driving our rig thru that construction zone would have not been advisable. Sure, it was doable...but not necessary.
I can see the problem there - 62' would definitely not be advisable. I have a 35' bumper-pull travel trailer now, and my 20' crew cab truck. I think that would be the longest I would go. I pulled a 28' toy hauler up that road with ease. An extra 7 feet would not be too much difference. It really does depend on what you have and how comfortable you are at driving it. Having an additional vehicle to drive would be the best bet. You will be limited to less places to stop and take in the views in anything large. Here is a place I pulled over and took some pictures. I think this is north of San Francisco somewhere. I am on my work computer so I can't be sure at the moment.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #9

Picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	78416  
Old 11-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I can see the problem there - 62' would definitely not be advisable. I have a 35' bumper-pull travel trailer now, and my 20' crew cab truck. I think that would be the longest I would go. I pulled a 28' toy hauler up that road with ease. An extra 7 feet would not be too much difference. It really does depend on what you have and how comfortable you are at driving it. Having an additional vehicle to drive would be the best bet. You will be limited to less places to stop and take in the views in anything large. Here is a place I pulled over and took some pictures. I think this is north of San Francisco somewhere. I am on my work computer so I can't be sure at the moment.
Did you find you were holding up traffic for long periods of time?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #11

Not at all. As a matter of fact, there were a couple times I had to pass other slow people in small cars.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Not at all. As a matter of fact, there were a couple times I had to pass other slow people in small cars.
I'm not sure if I'm impressed or appalled. .

Once again, there are parts of 1 that I consider RV friendly, others definitely not. Time of year might, maybe, make a difference. Bikers, not the Harley types, the pedaling types, often use the road. That road, bicyclists, RV's and people who get impatient, not a combo I want to get involved in.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #13

Clarification. The part of 1 where the bikers frequent is between Big Sur & Morro Bay.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Probably at the most scenic areas
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote