Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2022, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyRV779 View Post
Once you get there...We stayed in Oceano, and drove by this location...it looked very nice, close to everything, and will try to stay in the future:
Pismo Coast Village RV Resort
That place is huge! When we visited CA this past spring we stayed at Pacific Dunes RV Ranch in Oceano. We had much more time on that trip. We already have our stay in Malibu and we must be in Indian Wells by 3/5. I insisted we add a stop to visit San Simeon, and I'm adding a stop for DH at Carlsbad Caverns.

PK1 - We've taken parts of I-40 and enjoyed our stops before heading south just west of Amarillo. I want to visit Santa Fe and Albuquerque I have plenty of time between our stop in Phoenix and when we need to be in Tallahassee. I always worry about the weather. Heading west I don't want to be that far north in February. This trip we will be in Phoenix until March 18, perhaps we can luck out weather wise.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2022, 12:05 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyRV779 View Post
Once you get there...We stayed in Oceano, and drove by this location...it looked very nice, close to everything, and will try to stay in the future:
Pismo Coast Village RV Resort

We've stayed at PCV several times and as stated is large, but well done with good sized sights. It is sorta on the beach, but does not have convenient beach access. It is a short walk to the Pismo beach pier and Pismo downtown. Not really close to San Simion, but a nice drive to get there. Haven't heard any recent reports, but Hearst Castle was running a restricted schedule.

Glenn

h
Old 11-20-2022, 12:27 PM   #17

You've had lots of suggestions, but allow me to give you a "redirect", coming from someone who lives at the N/E end of LA County and negotiates these roads every day. We also have to do this in our 45' coach.

So, let's start with getting you to Calif with "some" scenery. From Texas, we prefer I-40. Yeah, the road is horrificly rough. But we like going through the Flagstaff route.

Now, once you get into California, yes, you have a choice of staying north of the San Gabriel range in the dessert...boorrrring. Or, coming on the south side along the foothills. Yes, you'll be sharing the road with others. LOL

If you do, you'll come down I-15 and hit I-210...TAKE I-210 ALL THE WAY WEST and you'll stay way north of LA and it's snarled mess downtown.

Reason I say this, is you're in a smaller rig, and you would be SEVERELY MISSING OUT if you didn't make your way to the PACICFIC COAST HIGHWAY as soon as you possibly can. My suggestion would be at least getting on HWY 1 near Santa Barbara. This will allow you to have one of THE most spectacular drives in America along the coastline as you proceed north.

If you want some inticement, look up BIG SUR, Pebble Beach, Monterey, etc.! But, "PCH" is epically famous for many reasons, even starting down in the LA Beaches such as Malibu.

So, if you drop into PCH too far north, like above Paso/San Simeon area, wow...you'll be sacrificing some gorgeous scenery!!

Hope this helps!

P.S. PCH along the area of Big Sur, is NOT a big rig friendly drive.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 03:35 PM   #18

Thanks for the suggestion. I will put it on the GPS. We have been to CA with the motor home and our toad twice. We are leaving out in early February and I'm concerned about I-40, that is why we take the boring same route of I-20 to I-10.

I know about the snarled mess of LA we spent New Years dry camping before the Rose Parade in Pasadena before driving through town to Malibu. On our return trip from the Redwoods we drove down 101 to Van Nuys for a week before heading through the city again to San Diego. I try to schedule these fun drives for Saturdays or Sundays. Although it doesn't always seem to make much difference.

We love the PCH - took it all the way (in a car) from north of San Francisco to the end and all the way to San Diego on our first visit to the state. Almost every trip out since then we find our way to the PCH.

I am toying with the idea of after we stop in Phoenix in mid March to watch the weather and head to Santa Fe if weather allows.
Old 11-21-2022, 12:01 AM   #19
PKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
That place is huge! -- snip -- I want to visit Santa Fe and Albuquerque -- snip -- perhaps we can luck out weather wise.
Pismo Coast Village can be great or horrible. Suggest you take care in picking a site there. Closer to the center is better. South is bad - dirty sand and small sites.

Look into Eagles Nest and Angle Fire when you visit New Mexico if the weather allows.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:04 PM   #20

If you want to stay in Pismo suggest Pacific Dunes Ranch RV Resort with full hookups, 20 minute walk to the beach over beautiful dunes and a horse riding stable next door chttps://www.rvonthego.com/california/pacific-dunes-ranch-rv-resort/?utm_source=yext&utm_medium=directory&utm_campaign =Yext%20Directory%20Listing OR Pismo Sands RV Resort with nice sites, grass, pool, spa and gated https://pismosandsrv.com/
Old 11-22-2022, 05:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
If you want to stay in Pismo suggest Pacific Dunes Ranch RV Resort with full hookups, 20 minute walk to the beach over beautiful dunes and a horse riding stable next door chttps://www.rvonthego.com/california/pacific-dunes-ranch-rv-resort/?utm_source=yext&utm_medium=directory&utm_campaign =Yext%20Directory%20Listing OR Pismo Sands RV Resort with nice sites, grass, pool, spa and gated https://pismosandsrv.com/
We stayed at Pacific Dunes this past spring. It is 57 miles to the Hearst Castle, our destination on this leg of the trip.

I think we'll be looking in the Morro Bay and Paso Robles areas.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:20 AM   #22

Per post #2 recommend staying in Paso Robles (Wine Country TV Park) if you are going to do a day trip to Hearst Castle.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:30 AM   #23

Thanks all, I am considering El Chorro Regional Park near San Luis Obispo. In addition to it being about 35 miles to San Simeon, it is an easy drive to our next stop, Malibu.

Looks like the directions to Paso Robles will work.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
Thanks all, I am considering El Chorro Regional Park near San Luis Obispo. In addition to it being about 35 miles to San Simeon, it is an easy drive to our next stop, Malibu.

Looks like the directions to Paso Robles will work.
Good choice. We found regional parks much better overall than private parks. . lots of space, scenic, nature.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california