Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2022, 01:06 PM   #1

California dreaming 2023

We're headed west again in February. I'm having trouble on routing to within 40 miles of San Simeon. I'm considering Morro Beach, San Simeon SP, or Paso Robles.

We usually take I-10 into CA, and I would prefer to not go too close to LA. Any suggestions?
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2022, 01:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
............I'm having trouble on routing to within 40 miles of San Simeon. I'm considering Morro Beach, San Simeon SP, or Paso Robles.
We usually take I-10 into CA, and I would prefer to not go too close to LA. Any suggestions?
If you want to avoid I-10 and I-210/215/15 then the best option is highway CA-62 to CA-247 (both have very light traffic but CA247 isa 2 lane road) to CA-58 62 to 248 to CA-58 W over o Tehachapi Pass to Bakersfield then to Paso Robles and camp at Wine Country RV Park with a pool and hot tub. https://www.sunoutdoors.com/californ...t-wine-country (just spent 5 nights there and traveling down there for another 5 nights this week).

Link to routes through LA basin: https://www.bing.com/search?q=palm%2...logo=CT3210127

San Simeon is 36 miles from Paso Robles.
Old 11-12-2022, 11:57 AM   #3
PKI

If I was using I10, I'd head North through Joshua Tree NP for a diversion and then pick up 247 as suggested in the previous post. Using 58 West out of Barstow is the route.

There is an RV park at the airport in Tehachapi named Mountain Valley. Not much, but it is quiet, only $40 with a GS discount and the restaurant at the airport is highly recommended for casual dinning. Fuel is available just off highway 58.

The problem with the area you have chosen is $$$s. Sun has three parks in Paso Robles. The one on 101 is well layed out but terribly loud from traffic, a truck stop and a loud industrial facility across the highway. The other two are very nice, but around $100+ a night.

The RV ranch is an older park off 101. It is more reasonably priced and reported to be tight, but quiet. We have investigated HH locations and not found a likely target, but you might try that if the theme is to your liking.

San Simeon SP is located in the right place, but is very tight and may have no utilities. It used to be Elect/water with a dump station. The drought shut down the water and elect is no longer listed on the web site. The upper section has always been a dry camping area, is not as level as you might prefer, but should have some views.

There is a very nice park about 40 miles North of Paso Robles. Yanks is, IMHO, better than the Sun parks for less $$$s.

However, we have always thought a stop over in Morro Beach would be interesting. Should be a good view.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:32 AM   #4

Thanks, I'm going to plug it into my trip and see how it works for us.

I've now received word from the driver that he would like to see some of the sites along the way once we get through Alabama. Not a whole heck of a lot to see when going through Texas and New Mexico on I-20 and I-10 that we've not already seen, but I'm trying.

Thinking about detouring on our way west at Carlsbad. RV Trip Wizard has us getting off the interstate at Big Spring, TX onto hwy 87 then onto hwy 180 west and back on the interstate near El Paso by taking hwy 62 to El Paso then the 375 loop north to I-10. It looks a little loopy going west from Carlsbad.

I know many of the secondary roads in Texas are RV friendly. What about this route?
Old 11-17-2022, 05:19 PM   #5

We've done the 62/375 through El Paso and is a good route. On 375 you'll have a climb and descent but for us, it wasn't a biggie after doing the western mountains. If you don't think it's for you here's an alternate route:

https://rv-dreams.typepad.com/rvdrea...-375-loop.html

If you haven't done Carlsbad Caverns or Guadalupe Nat'l Park they are good stops. We've stayed at Brantley Lake State Park and also in the dry camping area at Guadalupe. (We also climbed the mountain!) McKittrick trail is very nice to do.

Near Las Cruces is White Sands Nat'l Monument which is worth seeing.

At Benson, AZ is Kartchner Caverns which is a 'must'. It's a beautiful tour of a living cave... lots of dripping noises and awesome lighting. (We gave tours there.) Nice campground there, also.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We've done the 62/375 through El Paso and is a good route. On 375 you'll have a climb and descent but for us, it wasn't a biggie after doing the western mountains. If you don't think it's for you here's an alternate route:

https://rv-dreams.typepad.com/rvdrea...-375-loop.html

If you haven't done Carlsbad Caverns or Guadalupe Nat'l Park they are good stops. We've stayed at Brantley Lake State Park and also in the dry camping area at Guadalupe. (We also climbed the mountain!) McKittrick trail is very nice to do.

Near Las Cruces is White Sands Nat'l Monument which is worth seeing.

At Benson, AZ is Kartchner Caverns which is a 'must'. It's a beautiful tour of a living cave... lots of dripping noises and awesome lighting. (We gave tours there.) Nice campground there, also.
Thanks, I'll take a look at the route. We made a quick stop at White Sands decades ago while visiting family stationed nearby.

We've been to Karchner twice, we have not toured the Big Room yet.
Old 11-18-2022, 12:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
We're headed west again in February. I'm having trouble on routing to within 40 miles of San Simeon. I'm considering Morro Beach, San Simeon SP, or Paso Robles.

We take 95 north near Quartzite to Parker. Go West on 62 towards Joshua Tree (north), and Yucca Valley. Nice Walmart there for provisions. Take 247 north to Lucerne Valley.

From Lucerne Valley you have options:
A) Take 18 west to Victorville and I-15
or
B) 247 other to Barstow and I-15

Victorville option:
You can go 18, I-15, 18 to the 138 to Palmdale, then go 14 north, catch the 138 again to I-5 and Gorman. Easy route.

Barstow option:
We usually go to Barstow. (247 is a bit lonely though) In Barstow you'll hit I-15 then take 58 West towards Mojave and Bakersfield.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:45 AM   #8

I think I will need to go old school and get out a paper CA map and the highlighters to map out the various routes everyone has suggested.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:24 PM   #9

There's nothing like paper maps and highlighters, in my opinion. You can get a better overall picture of a large area; unlike a GPS. I study them for hours like a book. Love looking at every nook and cranny. We also fell in love with the Benchmark series of atlases if you're going to explore a state for a long period of time or return to that state often.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 10:26 AM   #10

I will discuss the route with the driver. We stayed in Indian Wells in the spring and drove up to Joshua Tree, I'll have to ask him if he wants to take the motor home that way or to stay on I-10 to I-215, I-15 then over.

I took a look, I'm leaning towards staying near Morro Beach, looks like a pretty decent drive.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:16 AM   #11

Morro Bay, not beach. Which park did you stay at the last time? Morro Bay state park is nice but only around 30 sites with water and electric, the rest are dry. It is hard to get the hook ups so start looking. There is a private park called morro dunes with FHU’s but sites are real close. https://morrodunes.com/. Another is morro strand https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=593.
Capacitor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:44 AM   #12

Maybe Avila Beach may interest you. Brand new park ( a year or so) called Flying Flags Avila, https://www.flyingflagsavilabeach.com/.
Capacitor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:43 PM   #13
PKI

Sights along the way .....

I40 gets you some Route 66 opportunity, Grand Canyon as a diversion and the views as you cross the Rockies. That's the trade off that elevation gets for you.

While many are troubled by it, the long viaduct on I10 was interesting to us. Miles and miles of elevated roadway is not the normal way to travel in an Interstate.

The Natches Parkway was interesting as well. It is out of the way for many, but engaging to do a section, just as the Blue Ridge Parkway provides in the East.

If you have not seen Carlesbad Caverns, they are a must and the elevator takes the climbing out of the mix.

There is an interesting adventure as you head West. Look up Pie town and investigate the places that you can eat pie as you travel West or on your return East.

Good Luck on your trip. Besides paper maps, AAA travel books on a state by state basis can help identify interesting events, sites and destinations that you may find to be just what you need to liven up the trip.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 12:42 AM   #14

Once you get there...We stayed in Oceano, and drove by this location...it looked very nice, close to everything, and will try to stay in the future:
Pismo Coast Village RV Resort

Tags
california