Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #1

California to Colorado via 50 next week

We need to head from Sacramento to Colorado Springs next week. We want to take 50 through Tahoe, across the World's Loneliest Road section in NV, and then hook up with I70 to head into Denver and then south to CO Springs. Any tips on this route? Any suggestions for going over the passes through Tahoe and the Rockies? We don't have chains, but we're hoping no storms come around.

Thanks for help!

Tom
wahlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2009, 07:04 PM   #2

Just got home from Evergreen (above Denver). I70 Loveland Pass/tunnel area was blowing and snowing hard. Temp was 0. Vail pass was snow and blow and 1 degree. Pass Glenwood Springs things settled down and was able to make knots (high mph). Would not recommend taking any kind of RV over these passes for the next couple of days. Chains are required now for commerical vehicles. Weather report does not look good for any clearing up and snow is expected to get worse. Saw a couple of bad accidents on the sides of the road. One SUV had slid off the road and was in amoung the trees. I was driving a Ford Explorer with studded snow tires and was in 4 wheel drive doing about 15 coming down the passes.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #3

You have two major "passes" on I-70 in Colorado: Vail Pass and Eisenhauer tunnel.

My advice is to stop at the tourist information center in Grand Junction ... they have up to the minute video of the road at Vail Pass and both sides of the Eisenhauer tunnel. If the weather looks at all suspect find an RV park in eihter Grand Junction or Glenwood Springs and stay there until the weather clears up on those two passes ... otherwise you will be diverted off I-70 and parked on frontage roads below Vail Pass until the storm passes (unless you have tire chains) ...

There is a full service fuel station across the street from the tourist info center ... make sure your fuel tanks and your propane tanks are full before heading over the passes.

There are five or six major downgrades on I-70 eastbound ... make sure that you keep your speed under control.

You can avoid travelling through downtown denver by taking CO-470 around the southwest side of the city.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:50 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahlfamily View Post
We need to head from Sacramento to Colorado Springs next week. We want to take 50 through Tahoe, across the World's Loneliest Road section in NV, and then hook up with I70 to head into Denver and then south to CO Springs. Any tips on this route? Any suggestions for going over the passes through Tahoe and the Rockies? We don't have chains, but we're hoping no storms come around.

Thanks for help!

Tom
chains are a lot less expensive if you buy them b4 u need them and carry them with u. see cal:
Caltrans Winter Driving Tips Chain Controls
i don't know about colorado.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #5

Thanks

Thanks to all above. I am hoping we can hit the passes when there is no storm around. I looked at alternate routes, and going south from Sac through Flagstaff and Albuquerque seems too long so I'm hoping the weather cooperates.

Tom
Old 12-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #6

Towing or Following?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
chains are a lot less expensive if you buy them b4 u need them and carry them with u. see cal:
Caltrans Winter Driving Tips Chain Controls
i don't know about colorado.
This may be stupid, but does the tow dolly or tow vehicle need chains?

We looked at the weather and we're heading our Friday when it will be 40 degrees on I80 over the pass at Truckee, so we're figuring we can make it through on nice clear roads with no storm or chains. Is it worth it to have the toad off the dolly and following over the pass?

Thanks, Tom
Old 12-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
CD

Quote:

We looked at the weather and we're heading our Friday when it will be 40 degrees on I80 over the pass at Truckee, so we're figuring we can make it through on nice clear roads with no storm or chains. Is it worth it to have the toad off the dolly and following over the pass?

Thanks, Tom
I don' know about towing the toad but if you need chains on the MH I would put chains on the rear axle of the toad just to keep it behind you.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
I don' know about towing the toad but if you need chains on the MH I would put chains on the rear axle of the toad just to keep it behind you.
Thanks. But I now think if we need chains, we're heading to CO SPrings via the south route through Flagstaff and Albuquerque.

But the weather for the I80 pass through Truckee is supposed to be 40 degrees for Friday so I think we'll be ok.

Waiting out the storm,

Tom
Old 12-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Thanks, Tom
when chains are required,
it depends which state you are in whether or not chains are required on the braked dolly wheels. i don't know about towing 4 down because i don't do it. if you are driving the toad, chains will be required on the drive wheels.
kinda your choice whether to chain up the dolly or the toad i guess.
most states require chains on the outside tires of the duals on mohos.
some states require a chain on one braked dolly wheel, called a "drag chain".
some states require chains on both braked dolly wheels.
i have a chain and rubber tensioners installed on my dolly spare tire just in case.
check the dot for the states you are towing in.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote