RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2019, 01:16 PM   #1

Canon City Colorado to Pagosa Springs

We were going to leave Canon City Colorado tomorrow and head to Salida on 50 then wander over to South Fork and then up and over Wolf Creek Pass to Pagosa Springs. But someone I was talking with today said there is a southern route with less grade to deal with but it would add about an hour. Well by the time I go slow up and down Wolf Creek Pass it might even out. He couldn't really tell me the southern route so I figured I would ask here.
I have driven over Wolf Creek Pass 3 or 4 times in our class A with no issue but this would be the first time in our new truck and 5th wheel. Part of me wants to see how it handles the pass yet another part says some other time LOL!!
we are in a Ram 5500 pulling 26,000lbs of 5th wheel.

HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #2

HDrider--
Don't think you'll have any problem on 50West to Poncha Springs then south to which ever route you prefer and then west over Wolf Creek Pass.
I made the trip with a Ford F-350 TV towing a 33' TT. My only suggestion is to go slow, use turnouts when possible and enjoy the spectacular view.
Good luck,
Cheers

retnasaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:59 PM   #3

Just touching back, Wolf Creek Pass was uneventful. The truck handled it just fine, wasn't going to win any races going up but that's fine. More importantly it held us at a nice slow pace on the way down, love that exhaust brake.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:13 PM   #4

It’s Colorado state route 17 to Chama, then US 64 and US 84 to Pagosa Springs.

As a local, I highly recommend it.
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
Just touching back, Wolf Creek Pass was uneventful. The truck handled it just fine, wasn't going to win any races going up but that's fine. More importantly it held us at a nice slow pace on the way down, love that exhaust brake.
Thanks for returning with an update. Wish more folks would do that!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado