Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2021, 06:41 PM   #1

Cape Cod to Durango

We are headed on our trip of a lifetime to Durango and Moab for some two wheeled entertainment. We are towing a 3 axle fifth wheel toy hauler for all the bikes and motorcycles. Unfortunately, for the first 3 days, we are going to have to just pin our ears back and hypermile to make the schedule work. I have never used anything other than camp sites and I need to know the logistics, pitfalls , and etiquette of using roadside stops for sleep. Our rig is well suited for dry camping so no water or power needs. Perhaps some campers with more experience could chime in?
Thanks in advance!
drstimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2021, 03:24 AM   #2

I'll put in a word for interstate rest stops. Rules vary by state. Seems to me, the general rule is, rest areas are for resting, not camping. If you put the slides out, the jacks down, the awning and flamingo's out, somebody is gonna say something. On the other hand, if by all outward appearance you're just parked there, you should be OK. Florida, for example, has a three hour limit but I've done plenty of combat naps at Florida rest stops and never fielded a request to move on. To be clear, I stop after dark, and leave before sunrise. It really is a nap. I've also been known to stop for a nap during the daytime; nothing wrong with that either

Here's some advice, from a guy who survived the 1000-mi/24-hr motorcycle challenge, if you want it --
1. You don't have to speed, OD on caffeine or go sleep deprived. Just stay focused and efficient with your time.
2. Diet matters; heavy meals, especially meals with a lot of fat will slow you down due to sleepiness. Graze, think about fruits and veggies more than cheeseburgers. Snack-n-go beats waiting for your check.
3. Think about when your "low point" is at night. For me it's 4am; I can stay up late, or get up early, but I gotta be sleeping at 4am otherwise I'm toast all day. No matter what kind of hurry I'm in, I plan on at least 4 hours of sleep every night, as long as that includes 4am, I'm good to go. Figure out what your critical sleep period is, and respect that.
4. Make liberal use of combat naps. Soon as you start yawning, or noticing your concentration starting to wane, pull over and close your eyes for 20 minutes. You'd be amazed how much good that does ya.
5. Best time to be on the road is at dawn. Very little traffic, fuel stops are pretty much deserted. Worst time is late afternoon when you're tired, hot, and dodging semi-truck traffic. Be efficient in the morning; get up and hit the highway.
6. Nursing a bottle of water works almost as good as nursing a big cup of coffee, without the caffeine crash. I'm not against caffeine, I'd just mix it up a little and keep some water handy.
7. Pit stop. Focus on rapid turnover when you stop for fuel. I'm starting to get away from combining rest stops and fuel stops, seems counter-intuitive but I'm not the only one doing that; I think fuel-stop discipline adds up quickly. As does the converse.
8. Speaking of which. Truck stops, out in the country, are almost always ez-in, ez-out with a minimum amount of thrashing around in traffic, maximum amount of maneuvering room. If you're planning to pull over, avoid urban areas like the plague. Driving around city traffic rejecting suburban fuel pumps is the biggest time suck ever.

To be clear, I don't do any of that stuff anymore, except for the competition I mentioned. Too old and too retired to bother. But I remember what it was like. Remember the mistakes I made, especially the ones that durn near killed me. Don't do that, if you can help it.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstimpy View Post
We are headed on our trip of a lifetime to Durango and Moab for some two wheeled entertainment.

We are towing a 3 axle fifth wheel toy hauler for all the bikes and motorcycles.

Unfortunately, for the first 3 days, we are going to have to just pin our ears back and hypermile to make the schedule work.

Get to I-70 and roll - use Walmarts - Alstays state map will help - call ahead to be sure they accept you then there is no issue.

I have never used anything other than camp sites and I need to know the logistics, pitfalls , and etiquette of using roadside stops for sleep.

Wally is your friend and they are all along your route - is Moab or the San Juan's the major objective? need to understand the drives in the Mountains - as things are Different - just a note there will be an issue if Route 50 is used - it is closed most of the day during the week for the next couple years - true.

Our rig is well suited for dry camping so no water or power needs.

Perhaps some campers with more experience could chime in?
Thanks in advance!
We spent most of last summer where you are headed - RT 128 is a must - Ouray to Silverton needs to be timed - JMHO - as the road - when crowded is a Bear - you will have more to do than can be done in a lifetime so Enjoy.

Best of Luck,

Edit note see about leaving the night before right after work - you will be amazed at how far you can get in 4-6 hours that first night - and how much that will help in the long drive,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:14 AM   #4

50 closed? Bummer!!!

Cuz I see where you're going with this... Durango is a fun town, maybe a little too fun... but Montrose is the BOMB as far as motorcycling is concerned, three of the most epic motorcycle loops of all time ride outa there.

1. Ouray - Durango - Cortez - Tahellyaride - Ridgeway
2. The Gateway Loop. In fact 90 headed back into Utah is a cool road too
3. Hotchkiss - Crawford - Black Canyon

Then there's the canyon run to Aspen, which is even more fun that Durango, if that's even possible... plus you get the blood-curdling side of Independence pass; in fact, if you generally like getting your blood curdled, that part of the country is hard to beat

We kept our rig, and the bikes at Cedar Creek RV park for years, it was worth it just to be able to fly out on vacation and ride around. Just, wow.

Yeah 50 puts a crimp in some of that, but not all of it...
Old 04-23-2021, 04:52 AM   #5

Thanks so much!
Old 04-24-2021, 06:41 AM   #6

Of note...the RV trip wizard recommended the 70 route. But it says 90 corridor is 7 hours faster. Is 90 just worse with construction, cities, and tolls?
Old 04-24-2021, 06:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstimpy View Post
Of note...the RV trip wizard recommended the 70 route. But it says 90 corridor is 7 hours faster. Is 90 just worse with construction, cities, and tolls?
Last time I took I-90 was in the 90's - Never again - just No Fun - No Way to enjoy - we actually have done RT 36 - from Hannibal to Denver - I-70 is fine, good road - just gets boring - Lot of really great little small town RV parks and Wally*Marts so just easy on RT 36, makes it Different and just IMHO, more enjoyable.

I-70 will run right through to Moab - jump off on exit to RT 128 to follow the Colorado River - Beautiful - then head down through the Mountains to the San Juan's - Just a Thought - Easy,

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:09 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
How was the trip? We love Durango- and Cape Cod.
mernmb is offline   Reply With Quote