RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2021, 04:39 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 86
Central Florida to Denver

Best time for travel along the southern route ie I-10 to US 25? Able to travel anytime after mid february. Never done this route before. Suggestions to hopefully avoid severe winter weather.....
__________________
Southwest Michigan
2019 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22r
MW22r is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2021, 04:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 3,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22r View Post
Best time for travel along the southern route ie I-10 to US 25? Able to travel anytime after mid february. Never done this route before. Suggestions to hopefully avoid severe winter weather.....
i presume you mean I-25. if so you should know that winter and winter-y weather can occur just about anytime along your route and the farther north you go the better chance you'll have of finding it. last year (2020) in late january and early february we encountered snow on the ground and cold in Las Cruces NM and San Antonio TX. nothing major for us but enough for us to hold over a day or two at each location mostly because of the lack of highway snow removal and salting equipment.

you'll be at roughly 7000-ft when you get to Albuquerque on I-25. keep a close eye on the weather forecasts and have a plan b in terms of where you can hold over for a day or so if need be. march is better than february in terms of winter storms and april is better than march.

good luck.
__________________
Rich, Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
Retired 9-1-1
2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q/2010 Jeep Liberty
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:15 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 86
Thanks. rk.....wonder if things would be less risky in late March or early April?
__________________
Southwest Michigan
2019 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22r
MW22r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:25 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 3,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22r View Post
Thanks. rk.....wonder if things would be less risky in late March or early April?
likely true. elevation at las cruces is 3900', albuquerque is at 5300' (not 7k... i was thinking of Flagstaff) but santa fe is 7200' and denver sits at 5280'. if you truly want to avoid even a slight possibility of winter then delaying your trip into mid-to-late april would be a good idea. otherwise just keep an eye on weather forecasts and have that plan b ready. be sure your propane tank is full. you can check the climatalogical data for various cities (avg high's, lows) here:

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/united-states/us
__________________
Rich, Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
Retired 9-1-1
2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q/2010 Jeep Liberty
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:54 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 86
_ .... ._ _. _._ ...
__________________
Southwest Michigan
2019 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22r
MW22r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
yeloduster's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22r View Post
Best time for travel along the southern route ie I-10 to US 25? Able to travel anytime after mid february. Never done this route before. Suggestions to hopefully avoid severe winter weather.....
If your objective is Denver and you have no reason to go to New Mexico there are much better routes. See this MAP.

From Houston to Denver this is a much more direct route and it avoids all mountain passes and most of the high elevation found on a route that takes you to I25 in New Mexico. It is also much shorter. This is US 287 all the way from Houston into Denver. You are less likely to find winter-y weather on this route. Its highest elevation is about 5500' out east of Denver. Note US 287 and I 45 are the same highway on this route in Texas and US 287 and I 70 are the same highway on the this route in Colorado. US 287 is a multi lane highway from Fort Worth to the Colorado state line where it turns into a good wide 2 lane highway. It is the choice of commercial carriers so it carries a lot of truck traffic. I've traveled this route several times and haven't found traffic to be much of a problem once you are out of Houston. You might want to explore ways to go around Fort Worth or alternatively go through during mid day or after 7 PM.
__________________
2003 34' Georgetown on W20 Workhorse Chassis. UltraRV power mods. Front Sumo Springs, Rear P32 Sumo Springs, UltraRV Track Bar.
1998 Jeep Toad.
yeloduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:52 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 3,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw22r View Post
_ .... ._ _. _._ ...
_._ _ ._ _ . ._ . . _._. _ _ _ _ _ .
__________________
Rich, Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
Retired 9-1-1
2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q/2010 Jeep Liberty
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:31 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Busskipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD -- Golden, CO
Posts: 5,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
If your objective is Denver and you have no reason to go to New Mexico there are much better routes. See this MAP.

From Houston to Denver this is a much more direct route and it avoids all mountain passes and most of the high elevation found on a route that takes you to I25 in New Mexico. It is also much shorter. This is US 287 all the way from Houston into Denver. You are less likely to find winter-y weather on this route. Its highest elevation is about 5500' out east of Denver. Note US 287 and I 45 are the same highway on this route in Texas and US 287 and I 70 are the same highway on the this route in Colorado. US 287 is a multi lane highway from Fort Worth to the Colorado state line where it turns into a good wide 2 lane highway. It is the choice of commercial carriers so it carries a lot of truck traffic. I've traveled this route several times and haven't found traffic to be much of a problem once you are out of Houston. You might want to explore ways to go around Fort Worth or alternatively go through during mid day or after 7 PM.

Good Suggestion - the Map - for you to do anytime the weather window is available. Understand the Snow has been a very slight issue this year - BUT - that does not mean you are good to Go, anytime, only when you are sure you have a Clear Weather Window to travel.

I have traveled this route in the winter with Zero Issue - but I have seen the weather hit this route with not only Snow but also Ice!

IMHO this is the easiest and likely the earliest Route to Consider.

Yeloduster is a Colorado Local/Native He Knows what he suggests - Good Advice.

Best of Luck,
__________________
Busskipper
Location - Grasonville, Maryland - and/or - Superior, Colorado
2005 Travel Supreme 42DS04 - GX470 Toad
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
florida



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
South Central / Central (ish) New Mexico in July jmaellis Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 2 04-16-2016 07:41 PM
Need a tow dolly for Thanksgiving week - central Florida BeenThere DoneThat iRV2.com General Discussion 3 11-18-2007 01:27 PM
Central Florida Recommendations Hypersprint Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 4 05-09-2007 11:39 AM
Central Florida Campgrounds Outbumn Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 9 07-28-2006 06:51 AM
P30 Autopark Repair, Central or South Florida Mac and Chris Fleetwood Owner's Forum 3 04-17-2006 03:30 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.