RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2021, 04:39 PM   #1

Central Florida to Denver

Best time for travel along the southern route ie I-10 to US 25? Able to travel anytime after mid february. Never done this route before. Suggestions to hopefully avoid severe winter weather.....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2021, 04:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22r View Post
Best time for travel along the southern route ie I-10 to US 25? Able to travel anytime after mid february. Never done this route before. Suggestions to hopefully avoid severe winter weather.....
i presume you mean I-25. if so you should know that winter and winter-y weather can occur just about anytime along your route and the farther north you go the better chance you'll have of finding it. last year (2020) in late january and early february we encountered snow on the ground and cold in Las Cruces NM and San Antonio TX. nothing major for us but enough for us to hold over a day or two at each location mostly because of the lack of highway snow removal and salting equipment.

you'll be at roughly 7000-ft when you get to Albuquerque on I-25. keep a close eye on the weather forecasts and have a plan b in terms of where you can hold over for a day or so if need be. march is better than february in terms of winter storms and april is better than march.

good luck.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:15 PM   #3

Thanks. rk.....wonder if things would be less risky in late March or early April?
Old 01-28-2021, 05:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks. rk.....wonder if things would be less risky in late March or early April?
likely true. elevation at las cruces is 3900', albuquerque is at 5300' (not 7k... i was thinking of Flagstaff) but santa fe is 7200' and denver sits at 5280'. if you truly want to avoid even a slight possibility of winter then delaying your trip into mid-to-late april would be a good idea. otherwise just keep an eye on weather forecasts and have that plan b ready. be sure your propane tank is full. you can check the climatalogical data for various cities (avg high's, lows) here:

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/united-states/us
Old 01-28-2021, 05:54 PM   #5

_ .... ._ _. _._ ...
Old 01-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
If your objective is Denver and you have no reason to go to New Mexico there are much better routes. See this MAP.

From Houston to Denver this is a much more direct route and it avoids all mountain passes and most of the high elevation found on a route that takes you to I25 in New Mexico. It is also much shorter. This is US 287 all the way from Houston into Denver. You are less likely to find winter-y weather on this route. Its highest elevation is about 5500' out east of Denver. Note US 287 and I 45 are the same highway on this route in Texas and US 287 and I 70 are the same highway on the this route in Colorado. US 287 is a multi lane highway from Fort Worth to the Colorado state line where it turns into a good wide 2 lane highway. It is the choice of commercial carriers so it carries a lot of truck traffic. I've traveled this route several times and haven't found traffic to be much of a problem once you are out of Houston. You might want to explore ways to go around Fort Worth or alternatively go through during mid day or after 7 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw22r View Post
_ .... ._ _. _._ ...
_._ _ ._ _ . ._ . . _._. _ _ _ _ _ .
Old 01-28-2021, 09:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
If your objective is Denver and you have no reason to go to New Mexico there are much better routes. See this MAP.

From Houston to Denver this is a much more direct route and it avoids all mountain passes and most of the high elevation found on a route that takes you to I25 in New Mexico. It is also much shorter. This is US 287 all the way from Houston into Denver. You are less likely to find winter-y weather on this route. Its highest elevation is about 5500' out east of Denver. Note US 287 and I 45 are the same highway on this route in Texas and US 287 and I 70 are the same highway on the this route in Colorado. US 287 is a multi lane highway from Fort Worth to the Colorado state line where it turns into a good wide 2 lane highway. It is the choice of commercial carriers so it carries a lot of truck traffic. I've traveled this route several times and haven't found traffic to be much of a problem once you are out of Houston. You might want to explore ways to go around Fort Worth or alternatively go through during mid day or after 7 PM.

Good Suggestion - the Map - for you to do anytime the weather window is available. Understand the Snow has been a very slight issue this year - BUT - that does not mean you are good to Go, anytime, only when you are sure you have a Clear Weather Window to travel.

I have traveled this route in the winter with Zero Issue - but I have seen the weather hit this route with not only Snow but also Ice!

IMHO this is the easiest and likely the earliest Route to Consider.

Yeloduster is a Colorado Local/Native He Knows what he suggests - Good Advice.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida