RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lady Lake, FL
Posts: 571
Central Florida to Nappanee

Probably asked and answered several times, but I couldn't find it using the search option.

We're going from Central Florida to Nappanee, Indiana, for service. I'm interested in route, and overnight/campground, suggestions.

We typically aim for 200 mile, or 4 hour, driving days.
__________________
2019 Dutch Star 4018 (Spartan) towing 2019 Buick Envision
lce3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 3,215
well, to start with I'd avoid going thru hot-lanta. when we venture back to Chicago from SW florida after seeing my aunt we take this route:


* I-75 north to I-10 west


then either...
* I-10 west to US 231. follow 231 north thru Dothan, Ozark, Troy AL to US 271. Turn right. Follow Us 271 to I-85 west (abt 5-6 miles). I-85 west to I-65 north
OR
* I-10 west to US 331. follow 331 north to US 80 south of Montgomery. US 80 west to I-65 north


then you could do:
* I-65 north to either I-80 and head east or I-65 north to I-69 north at Indy. Nappanee is on US 6 about halfway between I-65 and I-69. me? I'd take I-69 and avoid getting anywhere near NW Indiana and Chicago traffic. you could also follow US 31 north from Indy. that would get you very close to Nappanee but we've never taken that road.



when we travel home from SW FL we also do 3-4 hrs per day. we overnight at...


- Casey Jones RV park in Lake City


- Hitching Post Corral & RV Park in Cottondale FL
OR
- Mr. D's RV Park in Ozark, AL
OR
Montgomery South RV Park in Hope Hull, AL (off I-65 about 15-mi south of Montgomery)


- Northgate RV Travel Park, Athens AL (right off I-65 about 10mi south of the TN line
- Duck Creek RV Park, Paducah KY but that would be off your route
__________________
Rich, Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
Retired 9-1-1
2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q/2010 Jeep Liberty
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 84
In the FL/AL part I like I10 to 331 to 55 and get on I65 at Georgiana. 55 is a good road with not a lot of traffic. Maybe a few miles longer but you get on the 4 lane sooner. If you use gas there's a fairly roomy Marathon just on the other side of 65 at Georgiana. Just my preference but I think any of those routes are good choices. If you stop at Northgate be careful, the entrance is right at the bottom of the ramp. We overshot it the first time we stopped there.
slowlanelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlanelife View Post
In the FL/AL part I like I10 to 331 to 55 and get on I65 at Georgiana. 55 is a good road with not a lot of traffic. Maybe a few miles longer but you get on the 4 lane sooner. If you use gas there's a fairly roomy Marathon just on the other side of 65 at Georgiana. Just my preference but I think any of those routes are good choices. If you stop at Northgate be careful, the entrance is right at the bottom of the ramp. We overshot it the first time we stopped there.
Oops sorry, that was Southbond on I65 that we missed the entrance to Northgate.
slowlanelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lady Lake, FL
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
well, to start with I'd avoid going thru hot-lanta. when we venture back to Chicago from SW florida after seeing my aunt we take this route:


* I-75 north to I-10 west


then either...
* I-10 west to US 231. follow 231 north thru Dothan, Ozark, Troy AL to US 271. Turn right. Follow Us 271 to I-85 west (abt 5-6 miles). I-85 west to I-65 north
OR
* I-10 west to US 331. follow 331 north to US 80 south of Montgomery. US 80 west to I-65 north


then you could do:
* I-65 north to either I-80 and head east or I-65 north to I-69 north at Indy. Nappanee is on US 6 about halfway between I-65 and I-69. me? I'd take I-69 and avoid getting anywhere near NW Indiana and Chicago traffic. you could also follow US 31 north from Indy. that would get you very close to Nappanee but we've never taken that road.



when we travel home from SW FL we also do 3-4 hrs per day. we overnight at...


- Casey Jones RV park in Lake City


- Hitching Post Corral & RV Park in Cottondale FL
OR
- Mr. D's RV Park in Ozark, AL
OR
Montgomery South RV Park in Hope Hull, AL (off I-65 about 15-mi south of Montgomery)


- Northgate RV Travel Park, Athens AL (right off I-65 about 10mi south of the TN line
- Duck Creek RV Park, Paducah KY but that would be off your route
Thanks for the info.

We stayed at Hitchin' Post a couple of nights coming east last time - quirky place but nice overnight.

Don't know any of the other ones - yet...
__________________
2019 Dutch Star 4018 (Spartan) towing 2019 Buick Envision
lce3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:15 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Loudon Couny, TN
Posts: 712
Last year, we went from Knoxville, TN to Shipshewana, IN and my blog post discusses our route and campground.

https://bigdudesramblings.blogspot.c...roads-and.html
__________________
Larry, Beverly & Pat
Pups - Romeo, Teddy Bear, Frankie
2013 Thor Tuscany, 45', Freightliner chassis, Cummins ISL10, towing a Buick Enclave
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lady Lake, FL
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dude View Post
Last year, we went from Knoxville, TN to Shipshewana, IN and my blog post discusses our route and campground.

https://bigdudesramblings.blogspot.c...roads-and.html
Larry, thanks for the info. Found myself checking out you other posts and, today, you mention being at the mothership. But your signature here doesn't mention your Tiffin??

Good luck with the roof leak. I'm thinking the "good news" is that you were heading for a place to get it fixed and already anticipating some down time.
__________________
2019 Dutch Star 4018 (Spartan) towing 2019 Buick Envision
lce3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
florida, nappanee, route



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
South Central / Central (ish) New Mexico in July jmaellis Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 2 04-16-2016 07:41 PM
Nappanee,Indiana to Florida Panhandle 05kstar Navigation, Routes & Roads 8 03-06-2013 07:47 PM
Need a tow dolly for Thanksgiving week - central Florida BeenThere DoneThat iRV2.com General Discussion 3 11-18-2007 01:27 PM
Central Florida Campgrounds Outbumn Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 9 07-28-2006 06:51 AM
P30 Autopark Repair, Central or South Florida Mac and Chris Fleetwood Owner's Forum 3 04-17-2006 03:30 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.