Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2018, 08:19 PM   #1

Central Ohio to Bar Harbor

Google maps gives me three choices that the time and mileage are close but i suspect that traffic as I get close to NYC or Hartford may make the difference.
The preferred round on Maps is Rt 90 to Buffalo across the top of NY to Wooster Mass. to 295.
The middle route is to take I 80 across where it joins 90 at Wooster and the southern route is to take 70, 76,81 close to NYC, which i know i do not want.
So as for the other two routes The distance going through Buffalo and Albany is not that much further but not as direct.
So the deciding factor would be road conditions and traffic. Once i figure it out, I want to plan an overnight stop on the way. Any thoughts?

Lastly as far as tolls, I have EZ pass, will that get me there?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 08:37 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Either of the first two routes are fine. You don't want to travel near NYC. Traffic can be horrendous and the roads will not be kind to you.

Yes your EZ Pass will work for you.

As an aside Hwy 1 in Maine is worth taking, as it passes through some nice villages that have a lot of charm. It's slower but more picturesque.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Either of the first two routes are fine. You don't want to travel near NYC. Traffic can be horrendous and the roads will not be kind to you.

Yes your EZ Pass will work for you.

As an aside Hwy 1 in Maine is worth taking, as it passes through some nice villages that have a lot of charm. It's slower but more picturesque.
We always take Rt 1 above Brunswick lots more to see if your not in any great hurry. Portland is a great little city to explore along the way
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:03 PM   #4

Do you want fast or slower with places to stop?
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Do you want fast or slower with places to stop?
I am trying to find a nice place to stop and stay two nights so the first night will be to chill and explore the next day. That will put me in the Albany area. if I take 90 and the Catskills area if i take 80. The problem is many of the NYS campgrounds do not have power, was wanting to have power if possible. Some of the larger campgrounds are not near hiking opportunities. So still looking for a good stop.

On the way back will just be looking for a place to sleep not as
important

I want to drive two days 8 hrs each
Old 02-01-2018, 11:28 PM   #6

Most of the NYS campgrounds outside of the Adirondacks and Catskills have some power. There are also a reasonable number of private campgrounds with power. Take a look at Cooperstown, NY for your half way stop with 2 nights.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:34 PM   #7

What is route 86/17 like from 90 Near Jamestown Ny to Binghamton NY road conditions like? Its kind of a central route and found some sights on the way?
Old 02-02-2018, 08:04 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I great place to stop for a couple of days is Lake George in NY. Lots to do and see. Make sure to go to Ft Ticonderoga.

Lake George RV park is where we usually stay. Plus they have a free shuttle to Lake George.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
What is route 86/17 like from 90 Near Jamestown Ny to Binghamton NY road conditions like? Its kind of a central route and found some sights on the way?
Most or all is superslab controlled access similar to I-90 but without the tolls. Essentially converting NY 17 to I-86 was a matter of getting in the town bypasses and finishing some other short stretches. Like all superslabs conditions vary with wear and repair cycles. The last time I was over I-86 from the I-90 split to Hornell was in the spring of 2017 and it was in good shape. Some of it was newly finished repaving. The same fall I took I-88 from Schenectady to Elmira with no notable road problems.

FWIW Cooperstown is closer to your half way point. Caverns, museums and the Baseball Hall of Fame. Biking in the hills or along the River Valley. Multiple choices for camping spots.

The Bath-Corning area is more interesting to us if you want to drive 3 days instead of 2. Corning glass museum, Hammondsport with the wineries and Curtis Museum, and Watkins Glenn with shopping and the race track are interesting. A lot of biking in the area. Lake George is interesting but out of the way for a quick trip. It's another possibility for a 3 drive day trip. More tourist trap with a lot of history.