Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Central Texas to Goshen, Indiana

We are thinking about a trip to Goshen, Indiana in June. Google Maps takes up north to Chicago then East to Goshen. We were wondering about going through Texarkana, Memphis, Louisville, then to Goshen. We were just going to take our time going up maybe spending a couple of nights at places along the way. How would the roads be? Should we head north before Louisville? Any suggestions for routes?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmez View Post
We are thinking about a trip to Goshen, Indiana in June. Google Maps takes up north to Chicago then East to Goshen. We were wondering about going through Texarkana, Memphis, Louisville, then to Goshen. We were just going to take our time going up maybe spending a couple of nights at places along the way. How would the roads be? Should we head north before Louisville? Any suggestions for routes?
Bare in mind, if you go through Chicago, you get involved with IL, and IN tolls. Good news is , the road is great.
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jrmez,
Take the roads of your choice to get the Indianapolis. From Indy take Interstate 69 North. Take exit 26 (Route 5 North). Route 9 runs into Route 15 in Marion. Take Route 15 all the way to Goshen. It is a leisurely drive. Not much traffic. Small town to go through.

If you don't like the local roads, consider taking Interstate 69 all the way to exit 134. Go West on route 6 to Route 15. Right turn on Route 15 into Goshen.

Both the above mentioned local roads are good for an RV. Either way should be no problem for you. I've done both many times. Which route I take just depends on the mood I'm in.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #4

If you decide to travel on the toll roads you should research getting an I pass ... it will save you time and lots of frustration.

There is essentially a 'surcharge' for not having an I-pass ... besides not having to stop at the booths the tolls are more than the charge for the I pass

==> Some info on I-pass

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a TXTAG. I wonder if that will interfere with an IPass? In Texas, on the toll roads it is certainly easier. Would it be better to go over to Louisville from Memphis or just straight to Indianapolis from Memphis?
Old 03-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #6

Last June we crossed Illinois on I-55 from St. Louis to Bloomington, there was a lot of road construction (every overpass down to one lane and slow) and the roads were not very smooth, I complain about Louisiana roads, but Illinois has us beat.
Wayne
ItascaRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Just stay as far away from ilinois as possible.
The other 4 lans and many of the 2 lanes are great.
St louis to indy to wherever it is that u r going will work just fine.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #8

Try to avoid Louisville, especially near rush hour . . . bridge out on I64 shuffles lots of traffic to the I65 bridge.
Red James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I would avoid Chicago and the Toll Roads due to congestion. Traffic on I-80, from I-57 to East of I-65 can be a parking lot, day or night, plus the tolls. Louisville is not bad except at rush hour. I'd travel Memphis to Nashville, then I-65 to Louisville, Indianapolis then I-69 North to Ind 33 (Goshen Rd.) Watch out for the Amish buggies! I briefly lived in nearby Elkhart in the 60's, the Goshen Krogers had hitching posts in front for the Amish. Don't miss the Police booth with gun ports to guard the two banks from the likes of John Dillinger. (Goshen's Lincoln Highway: Goshen Police Booth)
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the update on Louisville. I think we will probably stop somewhere south of Louisville for the night. That should let us avoid the rush hour. We wanted to know whether it was wise to go that way. It seemed the straightest shot to Indianapolis. We are going to avoid Illinois.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Does this plan sound reasonable:
1st night Texarkana,
Memphis 2 nights,
Elizabethtown, Ky
Goshen?
We really don't like to drive more than 6 hours.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
We took the route you described through Louisville last year and found it very satisfactory. However, we did find the RV park selection to be rather limited. Not quite as easy to find a decent park as it is out west.
howdja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas