Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #1

Chicago to Florida around Christmas!!??

First season with our Class A gas MH and considering a trip to Florida from Chicago right after Christmas for about 3-4 weeks. First question is, are we nuts to consider a long trip around that time of year? I totally understand that we’ll have to be flexible with weather but how much time should we allocate for travel. Wouldn’t want to go more than 300-325 miles per day so we can calculate the trip given perfect conditions. Anyone have experience with this trip and can help us anticipate what to expect?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2020, 05:15 PM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

Driving a Class A is more tiring than driving a car so you may not be able to drive that long. The days are also short at that time of year and many campgrounds in the north will be closed.

If you are seriously considering this get your CG reservation in ASAP.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:19 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Been down that road many times-First and foremost keep it--the MH winterized until you reach warmer climate- like south Ga. That time of year there are no perfect conditions to plan on. Just be prepared--propane Full -- Genny Serviced--Extra water for flushing on the way, and your Fridge will act funny in super cold weather too. Plan your trip and you'll do fine !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:19 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We’ve driven from west Michigan to Florida many times, in the winter months. Your departure date will be weather dependent. If weather is good in Chicago, you need to get south quickly. Taking I-65 should be easy in good weather. Try to get south of Louisville or better yet Nashville, your first day if weather good. Once there you should be safe from snow and ice, but watch the weather forecast closely.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:22 PM   #5

Thousands do it every year.

Its very common to spend Christmas with family and friends then head to arizona, Texas or Florida.

Watch the weather and be very flexible.

Driving 200 miles a day at times under some conditions is more realistic.

So
Be very flexible and be prepared.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:23 PM   #6

No you are not "NUTS" We live in the panhandle and make the trip every year to Wis. On your way down you will see many, many MH's headed south with snowbirds in them. We were headed north one year between Christmas and new year and could not believe the RV's headed south. Our first trip north with a new MH years ago we got caught in a cold front that came thru and temps went from mid 40's to 9 degrees and 35 mph winds, froze our buts off when rolling. Make sure you check the front end of the coach for air leaks and foam them up. I could not believe how much cold air came thru front until we calked and foamed. If it is cold you will probably have to run genny to stay warm. We are now in a DP and no problems. Watch weather and you will be fine. Snow is not a big problem. Ice, get off road, grab a beer and wait.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:29 PM   #7

Thanks for the quick replies! Since I have to be flexible with weather, how do you schedule places to spend each night? Aren’t most RV parks closed in the north by that time?
Old 05-25-2020, 05:34 PM   #8

You'd be amazed at how many RVs you'll see on the highway in at that time. No, you're not nuts.

It's about a 1200 mi. trip depending where you're going. 300 miles would get you to Louisville, Ky - give or take depending where you're leaving from. You could expect low around 30 and high in the 40's in Louisville. Of course, we all know that you can't count on that!

You would want to leave your RV winterized until your 2nd day of travel - beyond Louisville. Bring jugs of water to use and plan on eating out. You could still use the toilet; that short time isn't going to hurt it. Use the water jug to flush.

Many spend the night on a WalMart parking lot or similar.

Sleeping would be cold but you could use the furnace for a night without power. The problem with a trailer is that it won't be heated while traveling so the mattress will be cold. Some folks get a motel room for the first night. If you have a motorhome you'll have heat all day so the mattress will be tolerable. Have flannel sheets on it.

Your second day will be a lot easier and warmer.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:35 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I disagree with Sue that driving a MH is somehow 'harder' than driving a car. I regularly put in 12 - 14 hour days in the MH when I must (or just really, really want to) get from point A to point B in a day. Sure, I'm ready to quit at the end of the day, but no more so than in my car. It's as much 'tired of driving' as 'tired' at that point.
However, I heartily agree with her point that the days are shorter that time of year. MH headlights are often not up to par with current car headlights, try to plan your days so that you're driving in daylight hours so that you're not trying to figure out where the road is because you can't see the way you're used to in a car.
As for the weather, you're starting on the 'bad' end of the trip and you already in general what to expect. Plan accordingly and allow yourself some extra days to make the trip in the event of bad weather on the northern end of the trip - you may need to hole up somewhere for a day or two to give the road crews a chance to clear the roads.
As others have suggested, winterize the RV and don't de-winterize until you KNOW it's going to be 30 or above at night and warmer during the days. That way you won't have to worry at all about the water lines freezing.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:35 PM   #10

most will be closed but some are open. we made that trip in a car to see mom most every year till she passed in 2013. to which part if FL are you headed?
Old 05-25-2020, 05:36 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Your 1st night puts you in the vicinity of a large rest area -south of Louisville and North of Bowling Green Ky. Nice place -Plenty of parking and Secure.
300 plus a day is No Sweat, if you have good weather.

Have Fun It's an Adventure !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:44 PM   #12

As Chuck suggests, having the propane full and a working generator is a must. We also find that day one is always the longest looking for "better" weather, usually around 400 miles. Finding campgrounds open will be a challenge. We always check to see where there are Walmart's, truck stops, rest areas, etc that we can stop at if necessary. We also keep several electric heaters in the mh for emergencies and to use in FL. We usually give ourselves a few extra days cushion on the way down and we'll stay in southern GA until our FL reservations start. Safe travels.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
most will be closed but some are open. we made that trip in a car to see mom most every year till she passed in 2013. to which part if FL are you headed?
Not sure how far south we’ll go. I still work and own a business so this will be very unusual for us. We’re considering renting a site for a few months and flying back and forth. The last few winters in Chicago were mild but I realize it can get nasty anywhere along the trip. Plus, it means we’re due for a bad winter We’ve had it too good.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoRick View Post
Not sure how far south we’ll go. I still work and own a business so this will be very unusual for us. We’re considering renting a site for a few months and flying back and forth. The last few winters in Chicago were mild but I realize it can get nasty anywhere along the trip. Plus, it means we’re due for a bad winter We’ve had it too good.
ok. have you given any thought to route? we're in Wheaton and have tried most of them from here to SW Florida. we prefer I-355/80/57/24/65/85/US271/US231/I-10/75. we avoid hot-lanta like it's a mixture of the plague and The Walking Dead.

i can recommend open CGs 4-5 hrs apart along that route if interested.

Tags
florida