Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2022, 02:26 PM   #1

Chicago to Mt Rushmore to RMNP

Hi all! I'm new here and looking for some route advice!
We're taking a Class A (37ft) rental from the western burbs of Chicago over to Mt Rushmore, down to Rocky Mountain National Park (if we can), then to Colorado Springs and back home. Looking to go the I-90 route out to Rushmore but not sure where to stop along the way or what realistic stopping points should be. We have 7 days to make the loop and we are newbies to this whole thing...probably going to end up feeling like a Griswald vacation, but we're hoping for the best.
Anniotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2022, 03:32 PM   #2

7-days is pushing it. If you're tag-team driving you can get to Rapid City/Keystone in a lonnng day. otherwise plan on at least one overnight. Chicago (generic location) to Rapid City is a 14-hr drive...14-hrs of driving, not counting stops for gas, food, etc. distance is 900-miles and a good rule of thumb for interstate driving is 55-mph. that works out to 16-17 total hours. two 8-hr driving days will do it but with 7-days total that leaves you just 3-days for sightseeing and we haven't even added the drive to RMNP.

with 7-days you're better off limiting your trip to Mt. Rushmore. Sioux Falls is +/- half way. leave Chicago EARLY and plan on overnighting somewhere around Sioux Falls. Get up early the nex day and finish the trip. If you're staying in Rapid City figure another 8-hr DRIVE. if you're staying in Custer or Keystone add an hour to that.

Day 3--hit Mt. Rushmore and maybe Custer State Park. or just do one and do the other on Day 4. Me? I'd rest on Day 5 'cause you've got a long drive home on days 6 and 7. You can't get anywhere quickly in the BH and there is a ton of stuff to do and see. a proper trip to the BH requires 10-14 days not counting your drive to/from. with 7-days you will just be scratching the surface.

BTW, when is this trip and have you made reservations?
Old 07-11-2022, 03:59 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Agree that is a lot to cover in 7 days. I did the same trip last summer, but from N TX area. Map is here. Note: Setting aside travel stops up and back, we spent 3 nights/2 full days at each place you mentioned in the same order.

Rafter J Bar Ranch
Hill City, SD
Mount Rushmore; Crazy Horse Monument; Custer State Park

Elk Meadow Lodge & RV Resort
Estes Park, CO
Cache la Poudre River Rafting; Rocky Mountain National Park; Trail Ridge Rd

Mountaindale Cabins & RV Resort
Colorado Springs, CO
Pikes Peak Cog Railway; pub crawl day

Above also includes many wineries and breweries not listed.

Let us know where you land with your plans. Sounds Griswald-ish for sure!

---

Edited to add: Given your limited time, I'd drop Colorado Springs off the list. Spend two nights in Hill City so you'll have a full day to do Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Custer State Park. I recommend all three. Then a drive day and spend two nights at Estes Park so you'll have a full day to visit various parts of Rocky Mountain National Park. Well worth it. Even then, though, you'll have some long drive days to/from Chicago. Have fun regardless!
Old 07-11-2022, 04:26 PM   #4

We did it last year… 7 days is barely enough to get to Mount Rushmore and back.

Realistically, 2 days to get there and 2 days back. Lots of construction along the way, few places to pull over if something breaks.

You’re describing a 2 week trip…

Highly recommend Rushmore koa. Beautiful…
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:04 PM   #5

I agree with others, especially if you're new and renting the motorhome & you're not familiar with it or its condition, that 7 days isn't enough time to do both. Doing only the Rushmore area is going to mean a very short time there.

Not knowing exactly where your home is, I chose Rockford IL as a starting point so you'll have to add the miles from home to Rockford.

Rockford to Rapid City, SD is 825 mi. One can usually figure 50mph avg. in a RV with fuel, food, potty break stops so that would be a 15 hour drive. You need to plan at least 2 days maybe more (4 days+ for a round trip) when you add in exact mileage. 15 hours of driving a RV straight thru would be very dangerous.

To include Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park your round trip would be 2200 miles!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:28 PM   #6

Thank you all for your responses! We’re heading out on 8/3. We plan to stay a night somewhere that night (haven’t figured that out yet, but it will solely be to sleep, not much more) & hit the road early on the 4th. We have reservations at the Mt Rushmore KOA for 8/4-5…heading down to Colorado that morning. We have to be in CO Spgs at some point on the 8th (custody schedule drop off) where we will likely just park in front of family’s house for the night. Then head back along I-80 from early the 9th and hopefully get back on the 10th. The drive back won’t be for much other than driving back. It’s the drive out from 8/3-8 that we’re trying to make the most of.
Anniotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When the gas gauge gets down to under a half tank start looking for a gas station.

They can be few and far between out there on I90.

You may see a sign,or two, for Wall Drug. You have to stop there for ice cream
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 05:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniotis View Post
Thank you all for your responses! We’re heading out on 8/3. We plan to stay a night somewhere that night (haven’t figured that out yet, but it will solely be to sleep, not much more) & hit the road early on the 4th. We have reservations at the Mt Rushmore KOA for 8/4-5…heading down to Colorado that morning. We have to be in CO Spgs at some point on the 8th (custody schedule drop off) where we will likely just park in front of family’s house for the night. Then head back along I-80 from early the 9th and hopefully get back on the 10th. The drive back won’t be for much other than driving back. It’s the drive out from 8/3-8 that we’re trying to make the most of.
Doesn’t sound like you’re going to see anything. You’re just going to be driving to exhaustion every day… might as well fly and save the work…
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 02:40 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniotis View Post
I think you might be okay if I am following you properly. So you are staying 2 nights (8/4-5) at Mt Rushmore? If so that gives you a full day to see Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Custer State Park. You will need to stay on the move because that will be a very full day.

And if you don't have to be in Colorado Springs until 8/8, that means you can stay in Estes Park 2 nights (8/6-7) and have a full day to peruse the beauty of RMNP. Be sure to visit Recreation.gov for park access. Last year we had to reserve a ticket. Looks like that is still in effect.

As far as your drive to and from Chicago burbs, I'm not going to be much help there on stopping points. Sorry. Those are going to be some long travel days, regardless, even with an overnight stop each way.