RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #15

Busskipper, you're killing me! The scenery is amazing and we would be there the perfect time of year.

I pulled up the map and as I was gazing at Cincinnati I realized if we kept on that trajectory we might as well go to Santa Fe and Albuquerque, stops we missed on previous trips west. We had to cancel almost the entire spring trip so we won't be going to Indian Wells next year and we will try to do the trip we cancelled nest spring instead.

Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2020, 06:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
Busskipper, you're killing me! The scenery is amazing and we would be there the perfect time of year.

I pulled up the map and as I was gazing at Cincinnati I realized if we kept on that trajectory we might as well go to Santa Fe and Albuquerque, stops we missed on previous trips west. We had to cancel almost the entire spring trip so we won't be going to Indian Wells next year and we will try to do the trip we cancelled nest spring instead.
Oh, you Clicked on the Video - - If that doesn't get you, you need to see a doctor - - So what is/are the plan/plans?

If images do it for you then look at these - Stan's travel albam - is so organized that you can use his Images to plan your Drives - https://www.pbase.com/sparker1/root%26view=tree

Then, when you get into Colorado and just want to sit and stare at some beauty - Lake City Images by Michael Underwood, should really lure you into one of the last truly Wild and Beautiful Spots in the state of Colorado - https://www.pbase.com/sparker1/root%26view=tree

Albuquerque and Santa Fe are just a days drive South- they are in some pretty amazing areas and if you plan the drive it to can be memorable.

This MAP I posted earlier is from Cinncy - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=254f2...=2&form=S00027 - if it is even close, just leave out some and add some (way points) - add New Mexico to the return trip and you will have at least explored some areas that might make it into future plans.

Sorry, for being such a Pest but if you are looking forward to driving to Indian Wells to enjoy Man Made Campsites then you will surely enjoy some nature, that is the Rocky Mountains. My guess is once you go you may return again and again. The Rockies are the Beach for the Middle of the Country - once you get there it's just so Relaxing to sit and stare at them.

Cinncy to Golden - 1200 miles - 4 days of easy driving - if you take RT 36 you might even see/meet some of the real Americanna we all search for.

JMHO,

-

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #17

Okay, I just did a what if on RV Trip Wizard. Just as DH signed off on doing a Route 66, starting at St Louis that we had discussed when we were first contemplating buying a motor home. We would mosey south towards Tulsa and on down to I-40 and then over to New Mexico with stops in Albuquerque and Santa Fe. From there south to Las Cruces before deciding on I-20 or I-10 with stops in either Montgomery or B'ham to visit family before heading on to the beach by the end of September or early October. We have to rethink where we will be stopping. Time to get out all the travel books.

In 2018 we planned to head west on I-40 and swerve up to Tulsa and then taking our time to stop and visit parts of the Mother Road. Due to health and hurricane delays we had to revamp the trip and started that part of the trip at OK City then headed south again to start the journey home at Amarillo.

Question, how steep are the mountains? I really hate driving in mountains. I'm a coastal flat lander. We have a gasser towing a CRV.

Oh, BTW, it is worse than hanging out in an over priced RV park (but it does have a nice dog run) we spend our days when in Indian Wells at a tennis tournament.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
Okay, I just did a what if on RV Trip Wizard. Just as DH signed off on doing a Route 66, starting at St Louis that we had discussed when we were first contemplating buying a motor home. We would mosey south towards Tulsa and on down to I-40 and then over to New Mexico with stops in Albuquerque and Santa Fe. From there south to Las Cruces before deciding on I-20 or I-10 with stops in either Montgomery or B'ham to visit family before heading on to the beach by the end of September or early October. We have to rethink where we will be stopping. Time to get out all the travel books.

In 2018 we planned to head west on I-40 and swerve up to Tulsa and then taking our time to stop and visit parts of the Mother Road. Due to health and hurricane delays we had to revamp the trip and started that part of the trip at OK City then headed south again to start the journey home at Amarillo.

Question, how steep are the mountains? I really hate driving in mountains. I'm a coastal flat lander. We have a gasser towing a CRV.

Oh, BTW, it is worse than hanging out in an over priced RV park (but it does have a nice dog run) we spend our days when in Indian Wells at a tennis tournament.
Need a little more info if what is already on the Board does not work. - Time allotted - Time of year - what you are willing to subject yourself to - what do you enjoy - one location or a good Loop Trip - do you need full hook ups every night......

As you have not been in the Rockies - Colorado would be My suggestion (Surprised?) - if Mountain Pass Avoidance is the mission we can work that into the routing, but it limits some of the places you will visit - but it will mean a few day trips in the Toad - sorry but while the mountain are much higher than they are in the East, the Roads, for the most part are just so much better. We have done most if not all the major routes and the passes that maybe required in a 2000 gasser that was the Max on size and weight and it made it over all of them, and then Back Down.

In order to Optimize the trip you need to make some decisions and then share them.

If you just want to enjoy the Tennis you can still fly - we fly to Colorado 5-6 times a year - we get to see Granddaughters so it is worth it.

Let us know - when - and where - you want to travel.

Watch that Video again - it is awesome.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:22 PM   #19

Rats, I had the whole thing written out and hit something and lost it, again!

Looks like our entire trip might be up in the air. It is based on attending tennis tournaments in Toronto and Cincinnati. If all goes as planned we will leave Cincinnati on Aug 20th and head west to Springfield Il for a few days. We will work our way on I-44 and I-40 with detours onto Route 66 until we reach Albuquerque adding a detour up to Santa Fe.

I saw and interesting detour of taking I-44 down to Ft Sill and they working our way back up to Washita battlefield NHS. We saw part of it in 2018 but the area was flooding so bad we didn't get to see much.

We will spend a few days in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, not sure which route, interstate all the way or detour to Carlsbad. I read bad things about some of the roads in the area so I'll need to do more research.

We saw quite a bit of Rt 66 between OK City and Amarillo so we will only spend a few days getting from Tulsa to Santa Fe. We will do some rest area and Cracker Barrel stops but most places we will stop for a minimum of two nights some we will spend four or more. Looks like without pushing it too hard we can be home by the end of September or first week of October.

If the tournaments are cancelled, you might see us in Colorado.