Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2020, 07:10 AM   #1

Cincinnati to somewhere

Major change in plans for us. For months we had been discussing touring New England after traveling to Toronto in August. We had bookend events planned, Early August in Toronto and late September in Boston before heading south to home.

The Boston event is now off our list and we are headed to Cincinnati right after the event in Toronto. So, where to go now? What to see and what to do between Cincinnati and Myrtle Beach?

We visited Falling Water in the fall, we did most of DC, although we might go back for a few more days. We are toying with the idea of going back to Gettysburg and then on to Philadelphia area before heading back south.

We decided against Kentucky (too close to family).

So, what is the best route from southern Ohio to Philadelphia?

As I'm typing this, Hmmm - St Louis. I've never been there. I so hate being without a plan and a destination.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2020, 07:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
Major change in plans for us. For months we had been discussing touring New England after traveling to Toronto in August. We had bookend events planned, Early August in Toronto and late September in Boston before heading south to home.

The Boston event is now off our list and we are headed to Cincinnati right after the event in Toronto. So, where to go now? What to see and what to do between Cincinnati and Myrtle Beach?

We visited Falling Water in the fall, we did most of DC, although we might go back for a few more days. We are toying with the idea of going back to Gettysburg and then on to Philadelphia area before heading back south.

So, what is the best route from southern Ohio to Philadelphia?

As I'm typing this, Hmmm - St Louis. I've never been there. I so hate being without a plan and a destination.
Asheville - Biltmore - Lake Toxaway - up the shore - DC - Williamsburg - so much to see never enough time.

Best of luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:50 PM   #3

LOL, that's just it, those are some of our recent trips except Lake Toxaway.

I used to live in Williamsburg - one of my all time favorite places along with Richmond. We did a motorhome trip to Wmsburg several years ago before heading up to Gettysburg for a few days. We did DC in the fall and stayed at Cherry Hill. We went to Asheville a couple of years ago and we've visited Biltmore several times.

I am thinking we might back track after the tournament and go up to Cleveland and then head east. DH wants to go back to Gettysburg and DC. We also didn't have enough time when we visited Mt. Vernon so instead of the long drive from Cherry Hill we might stop a few days on the way back home to the coast in SC. I was also thinking about heading east towards Newport News and visiting the Mariner's Museum, I haven't seen it in decades and then doing a tour of the naval base in Norfolk.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:13 PM   #4

If you do end up going to Gettysburg take the Battlefield Tour on Horseback. It is great. You get to go to areas no cars, bikes, or even hikers can go. The leader of the horse pack has a wireless microphone and you have on wireless headphones to listen to him describe the battles that took place right below your feet, well the horses feet, lol. Can’t remember what is cost but it is worth every cent.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:42 PM   #5

Great smoke and Asheville would be a good trip.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:07 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Wilmington NC is a nice area to visit. You can tour the USS North Carolina and some Civil War battlefields.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:36 AM   #7

If you're into Civil War battlefields, you could pick up a special atlas or two and use that to plan your trip.

Some ideas:

National Geographic: Battles of the Civil War Laminated Wall Map.

Atlas of the Civil War: A Complete Guide to the Tactics and Terrain of Battle.

Civil War Battlefields: Walking the Trails of History.

The Complete Civil War Road Trip Guide: More than 500 sites from Gettysburg to Vicksburg.

Civil War Battlefield Guide: A Touring Guide.

All available at Amazon or Barnes and Noble. Or you might be able to borrow them through your library via inter-library loan.
RBBRTRMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:21 AM   #8

Quote:
For months we had been discussing touring New England after traveling to Toronto in August. We had bookend events planned, Early August in Toronto and late September in Boston before heading south to home.

The Boston event is now off our list and we are headed to Cincinnati right after the event in Toronto. So, where to go now?

LOL, that's just it, those are some of our recent trips except Lake Toxaway.

I used to live in Williamsburg - one of my all time favorite places along with Richmond. We did a motorhome trip to Wmsburg several years ago before heading up to Gettysburg for a few days. We did DC in the fall and stayed at Cherry Hill. We went to Asheville a couple of years ago and we've visited Biltmore several times.

I am thinking we might back track after the tournament and go up to Cleveland and then head east. DH wants to go back to Gettysburg and DC. We also didn't have enough time when we visited Mt. Vernon so instead of the long drive from Cherry Hill we might stop a few days on the way back home to the coast in SC. I was also thinking about heading east towards Newport News and visiting the Mariner's Museum, I haven't seen it in decades and then doing a tour of the naval base in Norfolk.
OK -Maybe we need to look at this in a different Light.

You live on the East Coast and have Done a good bit on the East Coast, Correct? You will be in Cincinnati, already headed West (guess it all depends on how you look/see it) - so if you are up for a Bucket list Trip I'll Suggest my Favorite State - COLORADO! Look these images over, ( https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg ) - if the Aspen don't draw you in then the Mountains surely will. September in the Rockies is Heaven, You can do a Bee line to Colorado then a loop trip that will put you into many of the Beautiful Passes that are just filled with the Aspen, the Bonus is those Aspen are planted firmly in what I'd call the most Beautiful, Wild and Memorable spots on Earth.

Rocky Mountain National Park (Trail Ridge) - SteamBoat Springs (Rabbit Ears Pass) - down to Breck - Leadville (Independence Pass) - Buena Vista (Cottonwood Pass) - Gunnison (Monarch Pass) - Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park - Telluride (Lizard Head Pass) - Ouray (Red Mountain Pass - Million Dollar Highway) - Lake City (Slumgullion Pass) - Pagosa Springs (Wolf Creek Pass)............then after the Great Sand Dunes National Park Home.

Will that fill your Plate?

Now if you've already done them all, trust me, they will all look different this year! Every time we do any of these drives - as soon as we leave we start to Look Forward to Returning, as it Never Gets Old.

Do you need a Map - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=254f2...=2&form=S00027 - Map is just a general route as each and every spot in Colorado is Unique, and can be a trip in and of itself.

You asked, after looking over and reading your posts, this seems as if it might work - I too, live on the East Coast - Have been up and down - in and out - and if I were as far West as Cinncy, I'd just push that 1,200 miles to Golden, CO and see those Aspen in Late September! In my first 13 years visiting Colorado we missed the Aspen in all their Fall Glory - then we actually Flew out to spend a week in Aspen/Maroon Bells/Independence Pass/Cottonwood Pass/Collegiates. Heaven, This is something so few ever get to Really Enjoy, usually starts about the second Week of September and Will last, depending on Elevation till the End of September.

There you go - The Perfect Trip for September. PERIOD! - Like I said If you've already done some or most of this, guess what, it only gets better with the Repeats, Honest.

So the normal issue most have is - OMG I have a Gasser and it will never Handle all those Passes - Wrong! Your setup is Perfect - we did all that and More in a 37' er (gas) with a Suzuki Toad - if you are doing it in September you will be Trying to Slow down to See More.

Hope this helps,

Few images to help you decide;

Maroon Bells, September 21st
Road in September in Colorado RT 149
Cottonwood Pass
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maroon bells sept 21.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	277192   Click image for larger version

Name:	8052042587_1fbc1f90e8_b.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	510.4 KB
ID:	277193  

Name:	aspen1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	395.2 KB
ID:	277194  
Old 03-07-2020, 07:50 AM   #9

Just an Add to push Colorado.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:21 PM   #10

Oh we can dream. I would like to be home by the end of September. Next spring we're heading west again and we might be tempted to head north. So much we haven't seen north of I -40.

Unfortunately I have commitments and have to be home in the fall.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Oh we can dream. I would like to be home by the end of September. Next spring we're heading west again and we might be tempted to head north. So much we haven't seen north of I -40.

Unfortunately I have commitments and have to be home in the fall.
From original post;

Quote:
...... traveling to Toronto in August. ...................Early August in Toronto and late September in Boston before heading south to home.

The Boston event is now off our list and we are headed to Cincinnati right after the event in Toronto. So, where to go now? What to see and what to do ................

So how much time do you have? When I read this it sounds as if/like you were gone for 8 weeks............so even if you only had three weeks left.......this would still be a Great Cruise.

If St Louis was a place you "Needed to See" then just catch it on the way out or Back.

If you have never been North of I-40 ......If you have never been in the Rockies .......You are Missing a lot more than you have Seen! ...... - JMHO as a guy who has spent a lot of time in the East.

Just click on the Youtube Video - There is little that can compare to this in the East...........Yes, the Smokies and the Mountains in Upstate are special.......but still not the Rockies.......still not Colorado.

So even if you only had a Week or 10 days out West, it would give you some insight to planning a future trip, it would plant a seed that I'm pretty sure would bloom into something you might just Love. Having driven through a few of these spots first, having some , even limited knowledge, first hand, sure helps making the next plan easier.

Naw, I'm not trying to be too Pushy - I just Love the Rockies!

Like Nike says - "Just Do It"

JMHO,
Old 03-09-2020, 04:55 AM   #12

Oh Busskipper, you are a terrible person putting these ideas in my head!

Just calculated last night for next year that a return trip to Indian Wells from home, about 11 days is comfortable for us. That is 2500 miles on a known route on flat land. Leadville is 1400 miles from Cincinnati and 1900 miles back home. We will be leaving Cincinnati on 8/21 and I want to be home by the end of September (I was allowing extra days because of the date of the event in Boston).

Oh My! Shame on you!
Old 03-09-2020, 06:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Oh Busskipper, you are a terrible person putting these ideas in my head!

Just calculated last night for next year that a return trip to Indian Wells from home, about 11 days is comfortable for us. That is 2500 miles on a known route on flat land. Leadville is 1400 miles from Cincinnati and 1900 miles back home. We will be leaving Cincinnati on 8/21 and I want to be home by the end of September (I was allowing extra days because of the date of the event in Boston).

Oh My! Shame on you!
Look at that Video One more time - Indian Wells in the spring, then try a little Mountain driving on the way back - It would be so Easy after the short expeditionary drive this Summer to Colorado. Imagine - Dream - It can and should Happen. - -

edit; On the trip to Indian Wells - I'm sure you have Canyon de Chelly and Sedona as stops....maybe even Mexican Hat and Monument Valley.....so much to see and Never Enough TIME.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spider rock canyon de chelly.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	288.7 KB
ID:	277454   Click image for larger version

Name:	mexican hat.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	277455  

Name:	Sunrise-Navajo-Nation-Monument-Valley.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	277456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maroon Bells with the lake low.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	277457  

Old 03-09-2020, 08:56 AM   #14

Truer words were never spoken! We are such slow pokes we never see everything in one trip. In 2018 we were going to go all the ay west to Albuquerque but because of a procedure DH needed we were a week delayed and never made it further west than Amarillo where we headed back south. But who knew Lubbock had so much to see and I'd never heard of San Angelo, TX and found a wonderful state park and an amazing western fort to tour before heading east to too short a time in Fredericksburg, TX.

I was just noticing, if we back track to Cleveland (won't have time between Toronto and Cincinnati, we can visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Then I noticed Indiana and we could tour the Thor factory to see how our coach was supposed to be built before heading further west.

This is all assuming we are somewhat back to normal by the end of summer.