Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2020, 12:51 PM   #1

Colorado 91 or US 24?

Will be traveling on or around April 20, 2020 from Glenwood Canyon, CO on I70 west of Vail to Alamosa, CO to the south of Vail/Breckenrdige.

There was an earlier thread about these roads in question, but it was a few years old and hoping someone might have updated information / recommendations for these routes. Will be traveling in a 45' Entegra Anthem.

Are either of these designated truck routes??
Is ice/snow an issue during late April??
US 24 looks like quite alot of tight switchbacks on the northern end near I-70.
Good Sam trip planner shows CO91 as the preferred route.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 11.43.46 AM.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	277062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 11.50.26 AM.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	277063  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #2

Either route is certainly doable with your big rig. We've done both depending on what direction we're coming from. On either you'll have grades of 5-7%. 91 is a little easier.

Yes, April is early for mountains. Just sit tight and the roads will clear fast.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booberboo View Post
Will be traveling on or around April 20, 2020 from Glenwood Canyon, CO on I70 west of Vail to Alamosa, CO to the south of Vail/Breckenrdige.

There was an earlier thread about these roads in question, but it was a few years old and hoping someone might have updated information / recommendations for these routes. Will be traveling in a 45' Entegra Anthem.

Are either of these designated truck routes??
Is ice/snow an issue during late April??

US 24 looks like quite alot of tight switchbacks on the northern end near I-70.
Good Sam trip planner shows CO91 as the preferred route.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Weather will be the Key in Late April - RT 24 through Minturn - Red Cliff and the Green Bridge - and Camp Hale is the more scenic route. Thinking if it snowed and has been very Cold the Last few days it might just have snow on the shaded parts of it, But it is one of the Routes I often recommend to people wanting to just enjoy more of the Colorado you've driven so far to see, Beautiful Drive. The switch backs are wide and easy when you are driving them, but you are still in the Mountains of Colorado, actually the backside of Vail Ski Resort, after a big snow if you know what you are doing you can ski into Red Cliff, from the top of Vail.

RT 91 will take you to/through Leadville - https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Colorado.html - if the timing is right - after 5 for a good steak - but they are also in Buena Vista and Salida if you are not making the drive at the right time - early.

Keep in mind Leadville is at 10,000 feet so it can be cold and snowy even late in the season, but the roads remain good. RT 91 is a very slight grade and a beautiful View of the back of the 10 Mile Range (backside of Breck) so it too is a Beautiful drive.

So my Favorite would be RT 24, but I love the Mountains. RT 91 will be easy and if you do make the trip on Monday the 20th should not be much traffic as you are at the end of the ski season. Buena Vista and Salida will likely be free of Snow, and the view of the Collegiates is as good as it gets.

SO I'm Guessing you will take I-70 to RT 91 but if it's warm and Sunny you might just really enjoy RT 24.

Best of Luck, no wrong Choices.

edit; Just a guess that you will be coming from Moab in Utah - be sure to Drive RT 128 out of town along the Colorado River - it will get you back to I-70 - If weather is right might even check out Dino NM
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
edit; Just a guess that you will be coming from Moab in Utah - be sure to Drive RT 128 out of town along the Colorado River - it will get you back to I-70 - If weather is right might even check out Dino NM
I drove that route 128 northbound about 20 years ago in a class C and there was a right hand bend along the river that had a rock overhang with a 10'8" ish clearance sign on it.
Did they raise that since then?
Old 03-05-2020, 07:26 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
From Glenwood Springs I would prefer 24. To get to 91 you have to go over Vail Pass which is not that big of a deal but is out of the way and adds another pass to the journey. Busskipper’s comments are right on. He knows these roads well.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #6

Ok.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:11 AM   #7

Thanks all especially Busskipper for taking time to write a lengthy reply.

Did a google map street view of the two turns I was a little concerned over and they don’t look too bad. Take it slow and easy and no rush and as long as the weather cooperates I think we’ll be fine. Leaning toward US24 due to its closer proximity and better views.

Again thanks for all the input.

Will be in the Moab area for 5 days, so I think route 128 along the river might be a day trip option in the toad.
Booberboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:59 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi,

I live in Colorado Springs and visit our daughter who lives near Glenwood Springs often. In fact I'm going there tomorrow. I almost always use highway 24 whether driving a car or the MH towing a Jeep. There are other routes but highway 24 is my preference.

As you leave Minturn you will have a few miles of very mild grade then a steep grade with couple sharp hairpins and a winding road along the side of the mountain. The road is sufficiently wide and well maintained Not to worry, 18 wheelers do this every day.

That darn Busskipper always gets to these posts before I do! He's been every where and gives excellent advice. Busskipper didn't mention the picturesque ghost town of Gilman that you will pass. It sits to the right of the highway before you get to the turn off to Red Cliff. There are turnouts that will accommodate your RV with toad providing the snow has been removed and they are empty when you get there. A stop for pictures might be enjoyed. See this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilman,_Colorado

The attached view is another scenic view at the turn off to Red Cliff. Yep, you drive right across it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Red Cliff Bridge0.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	277135  
Old 03-06-2020, 03:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Hi,

As you leave Minturn you will have a few miles of very mild grade then a steep grade with couple sharp hairpins and a winding road along the side of the mountain. The road is sufficiently wide and well maintained Not to worry, 18 wheelers do this every day.

Would this be a climbing grade or descending grade southbound??? I assume descent.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Would this be a climbing grade or descending grade southbound??? I assume descent.
Climbing as you leave Minturn - at just under 8,000 feet heading to Leadville at 10,000 feet - Red Cliff is probably about 1000 feet higher than Minturn so that first part is a little steeper than the rest of the way to Leadville.

None of it is a really steep grade but the first part is the steepest the rest of the way you will not even notice you are climbing all the way to Leadville. To make this trip in late September is unbelievable.......the Aspen are to die for on that Part of RT 24.

You will love it.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:34 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
You didn't ask about roads once you get to Leadville but I'll make a suggestion anyway. After you top Tennessee Pass at about 10,400 feet you will have a gentle descent all the way to the intersection with with US 285 just south of Buena Vista. Continue on through Poncha Springs and ascend Poncha Pass. Poncha Pass is relatively gentle grades with long sweeping curves. No issue there. The south side of Poncha Pass is very gentle.

Take a left onto CO highway 17 just south of Villa Grove and take it to Alamosa. CO highway 17 is a good well maintained road and saves several miles vs taking US285 all the way to Alamosa.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:53 AM   #12

Quote:
You didn't ask about roads once you get to Leadville but I'll make a suggestion anyway. After you top Tennessee Pass at about 10,400 feet you will have a gentle descent all the way to the intersection with with US 285 just south of Buena Vista. Continue on through Poncha Springs and ascend Poncha Pass. Poncha Pass is relatively gentle grades with long sweeping curves. No issue there. The south side of Poncha Pass is very gentle.

Take a left onto CO highway 17 just south of Villa Grove and take it to Alamosa. CO highway 17 is a good well maintained road and saves several miles vs taking US285 all the way to Alamosa.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:27 AM   #13

Quote:

Thanks alot. I had just planned on 285, but not any longer.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:45 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Road Update

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was going to Glenwood Springs this last weekend. I thought I would give a current update. I took US24 from Colorado Springs to I70 at Minturn. The only part of this road that is not smooth is a few places between Leadville and Minturn and even those rough spots were not too bad. It is early March and although there is considerable snow on the ground from 10 miles south of Leadville to Minturn the highway was clear and dry. The view of the Collegiate Peaks to the west of US24 is spectacular! See the attached photo of Mt. Princeton from Buena Vista. I stole the picture off the internet! Don't tell.

I returned home via I70 to I25 via C470 around Denver. I70 especially Vail pass is very worn and rough! It is in great need of a re-do. I drove in the morning to minimize the amount of ski traffic returning to Denver. The traffic was still horrendous. The traffic on I70 from Vail to the intersection with the south bypass around Denver, C470, was heavier than any other part of the trip. C470 and I25 were busy but not congested including 20 miles of construction on I25.

There are many long steep grades both up and down between Vail and Denver on I70. RV's find themselves in the right lane with the trucks going 32 MPH. I've found myself in that right lane and the traffic was heavy enough that I couldn't get around anything. Just forced to plug along for miles at a time!

I just need to remind myself from time to time why I drive the extra 30 miles by taking US24. AHHH! the peace and solitude of an open road!

PS: This trip I was driving was driving a suspension enhanced, brake enhanced, muscled up Chrysler 300 not an RV. Getting stuck behind trucks in the right lane was not a problem!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mt Princeton.png
Views:	67
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	277466  

Tags
colorado