Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2016, 08:11 AM   #1

Colorado question

I know there are many CO experts on this forum & would appreciate your advice. We are taking Hwy 50 from Grand Junction to Montrose and that appears to be fine. The question is should we take Hwy 50 East to get to Pueblo? I've done it many years ago on a motorcycle and enjoyed the twists & turns but now it's a 45' Newmar towing an F-150 & I'm not looking for a white-knuckle ride If the suggestion is to avoid that part of Hwy 50, are there other options? Doesn't look like a lot of other "West-East" route alternatives. Thanks in advance & safe travels.
neilnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #2

Driving highway 50 from Grand Junction to Pueblo is not a problem, have done it twice this year. Going over Monarch Pass with elevation just over 11,000 feet takes a bit of time, 35-40 mph up and down with engine brake on. There is not any options on higway 50 other than Monarch Pass. You will do fine, just take it easy.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by no3putt View Post
Driving highway 50 from Grand Junction to Pueblo is not a problem, have done it twice this year. Going over Monarch Pass with elevation just over 11,000 feet takes a bit of time, 35-40 mph up and down with engine brake on. There is not any options on higway 50 other than Monarch Pass. You will do fine, just take it easy.
Thanks very much for the feedback & "Taking it easy" is what I do best. Really looking forward to some nice CO weather at the end of Sept to get out of this Houston heat! Thanks again & regards--
Old 08-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #4

Hwy 50 is definitely the way to go...did it often with our 40' MH.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Jealous !
just got back from there with high's in the 70's to come back thru Amarillo to DFW where it was 106 :(

I can see why so many visit there and stay !!!

site 14-16 @ Durango Riverside Park backs up to the Animas "river" !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3001.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	136767  
Old 08-22-2016, 05:21 PM   #6

We're doing US-50 from GJ to Salida and so far have made it to Gunnison with no problem and I'm confident the drive over Monarch will be no worse than Wolf Creek which we've done in each direction. just take your time and use the appropriate gears.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:04 AM   #7

Big Dude. When you get to Salida look up Amicas Pizza if you like brick oven pizza.
Bergy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:05 AM   #8

Also. Have done Monarch Pass several times. It's a good route and very scenic, just let the significant other do the gazing.
Bergy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:15 PM   #9

Thanks to you all for the timely responses & good info. Can't wait to get on the road. Co-pilot in charge of photos, I'm in charge of keeping on the asphalt. Safe travels all--
Old 08-31-2016, 10:07 PM   #10

Just returned form a trip taking Hwy 50 from Grand Junction to Pueblo, where i then took I-25 south to home. Hwy 50 is no problem, Monarch Pass (11,312 ft at summit) is just a long pull up and then down, but no real sharp turns or real narrow roads. I pretty much maintained the posted speed limit up and down, and used the engine brake on way down with barely any need for chassis brakes. Did it pulling a toad the whole way. Beautiful scenery and much better than boring interstate freeway.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado