Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #1

Colorado Rt 34 & 40

We are planning a trip going to Estes Park and onto Dinosaur National Park in Vernal Ut. We have a 40' Country Coach w/toad. On the map it looks to be very crooked and of course in very mountainous terrain. Any suggestion about using Rt 34 and Rt 40 thru Colorado?
lshew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #2

34 over the divide is narrow and steep.I would back track to 70 and catch 40 from there.The first part is over Berthoud pass winding and narrow but you should do OK-the reset is a breeze.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #3

I don't have a 40' rig, mine is only a 26' travel trailer plus my truck, and I wouldn't do it. I left my travel trailer in Boulder, and drove from Boulder to Estes Park via the 36. It's an easy day trip. Check out Ouzel Falls along the way in Rocky Mountain National Park. 3 mile hike up to the falls with some beautiful scenery along the way.

I also recommend going M-F if you can. The weekend traffic into Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park rivals the gridlock around LA during rush hour. Save yourself some major frustration is my advice. I found out the hard way. To reach the trail head to Ouzel Falls I was turned away once because the parking lot was full. I returned an hour later and barely got in.
surferlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #4

34 hyway

If I remember right there is 34ft length limit in rocky mt park due to road conditions,{ curves etc.} might want to check. 40 is ok have traveled it in 18 wheelers going to SLC UT

Ben
girlydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #5

With our 40' MH we have driven 34 (Trail Ridge Rd.) through Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park. Yes, it's steep and I would highly recommend you start out early morning before the big rush. Many RVers drive it. It depends on your mountain experience.

We've also taken 40 across Colorado into Vernal, Utah. No problem there. If you want to continue from Vernal to Flaming Gorge northward, Hwy 191 also has a steep section but again, we've done it as have other RVers.

If you have the 'Mountain Directory for RVers & Truckers' these roads will give you a good description.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:32 AM   #6

Thanks for your advice. I do appreciate it.
lshew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado