Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2021, 01:57 PM   #1
M2D

Colorado state HW 139 Douglas Pass

Have any of you towed your fifth wheel over this Pass? I need to check my Moutain Guide but always value the voices of experience to be found here the most. It starts in Loma, CO and ends in Rangely, CO.

Thank you,

Michele and Mark
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2021, 06:04 PM   #2

We've driven our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep. Does that count? We drove north to south. It just depends how comfortable you are on downhills. Get into low gear before even beginning; not in the midst. Just take it slow.

From the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers': "Northbound descent from the summit is 3 miles of 7-8% grade w/20-30 mph curves. Southbound descent is 6 miles of 6-8% with 25 mph speed limit and numerous 15 mph curves and switchbacks. About 2.5 mi down from the summit there is a 1/10 mi. section of 10 or 12% grade. After the 6 mi. of 6-8% there are several miles of 4% grade".
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:00 PM   #3

Wow, looks like a fun adventure. Maybe warmup first on the "Million Dollar Highway" between Ridgevie and Durango.
BajaFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:15 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
twogypsies forgot to mention that the dirt of the mountain is unstable and there are often places where the road is starting to slip sideways. Sometimes making for one lane sections until it gets repaired.

I've driven it. I would do it again if it were the most expedient way for me to get from where I am to where I want to go but I wouldn't plan on driving it just because it is there.

From Grand Junction I might opt to go to Rifle and through Meeker to get to Rangely. A much more boring drive!
Old 04-15-2021, 09:20 AM   #5
M2D

Route 139 Douglas Pass

Yes, I read online about the dirt slipping and the road going sideways here and there. The main issue is that we will be staying in Durango for a week. We will see the San Juan Skyway and the Million Dollar HW from our truck leaving the trailer in Durango. Then we have set up a few days to spend in Ouray. We plan to go out around to move the trailer to Ouray and not tow it up 550.

After Ouray we were able to get three nights at Colter Bay Village RV in Grand Teton NP. I was studying routes to take between Ouray and GT. I discovered that one route that was suggested by Google maps would take us by way of Flaming Gorge. I became interested in spending a day there before moving on to GT. In studying the suggested route I became aware of route 139 being part of it and realized that it would be an issue. So I am left to figure out a tamer way to perhaps go by way of Flaming Gorge to reach GT.

Dear Husband is a competent driver and our F350 diesel has been good to us in handling upgrades and downgrades. He is pleased with the way the engine and transmission manages the downgrades. Still I have no desire to upset him or put him in a situation he might find difficult. He is not as enthused as I am about seeing our beautiful country towing our trailer. He loves everywhere we have gone when he gets there and he enjoys meeting and talking with the people in the campgrounds. I just do not want to push my luck by putting him on roads he will find difficult for no good reason if decent alternate roads are available.

Many Thanks,

Michele and Mark
Old 04-15-2021, 11:12 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A road where I know what the roads are like is this: Via Craig, Co

This route has decent roads and no big grades.

A closer alternative is this route: Via Vermillion Falls

I don't know much about the highways on this route Between US40 and Rock Springs. It doesn't look like any real grades but the road surface may not be very good. Maybe other people have better info on that.

A route that I didn't show would take you from Meeker through Rangely and Dinosaur to Vernal, UT then US191 north. There is a pretty good mountain pass north of Vernal. You may want to avoid that.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:30 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We did 139 Northbound 6 years ago in our 37' 2004 FR Georgetown (Gas Class A) pulling our Saturn on our way to Vernal, UT and Dinosaur NM. It's a long pull but very doable. Our MH with its 4-speed spent a lot of time in 2nd and 3rd during the climb, but we had no issues getting to the summit. Once at the top, as I recall, there is a very large pullout on the right-hand side of the road where you can pull off and give your tow vehicle a pause if it needs it. Plus, the view South from there is pretty nice as well. But if you've done typical Western US hill climbs without issue, this one won't be any worse.
Mike8253 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:30 PM   #8
M2D

I searched and found a video of it, It does not look as bad as what I was imagining so maybe we will take it after all.

Michele and Mark
Old 04-15-2021, 06:34 PM   #9

From Ouray to Grand Teton you'd be going up 139 and the occasional crumbling is on the downside so it won't affect you. I do remember the crumbling now. If it were truly dangerous they would close it. There's not heavy traffic and as long as you have a clear view ahead you can move over a foot or two. But like I stated - south to north should be an issue unless it's drastically changed. You might want to try calling that area's road dept. and ask.

Hwy 40 west to Vernal is easy and then north on 191 to Flaming Gorge will also be a big climb uphill for you. It's about 10 miles uphill. Uphills are never as bad as downhills.) as long as you have the power. Your truck shouldn't have any issue. Southbound into Vernal is a lot worse, for sure. There are some nice forest campgrounds at Flaming Gorge.

From Ouray it would be an easy drive from I-70 east to Rifle (Rifle Gap State Park is very nice) then 13 and west on 64 to 40 to 191 is certainly very doable. Nothing noted in the 'Mountain Directory' for this route.

191 from Flaming Gorge to Grand Teton Nat'l Park is a very easy drive.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2D View Post
Have any of you towed your fifth wheel over this Pass? I need to check my Moutain Guide but always value the voices of experience to be found here the most. It starts in Loma, CO and ends in Rangely, CO.

Thank you,

Michele and Mark
Drove this route Twice last summer - averaged less than 40 MPH - as the road is pretty close to the worse road I drove last summer in Colorado - Try to, get to Criag and Take RT 40 or RT 191 both are just a better options.

We stayed in Rangely and Vernal last summer - loved the area - just hated the road - when we left we went out through Steamboat and just stayed just east of Rabbit ears - RT 40 is just so much easier.

Hope this Helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado