RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2020, 10:59 AM   #1

Coos Bay to Michigan

Heading from Coos Bay Oregon back to Michigan. Trying to find the best route over the Rockies vs going all the way south to I-10 and going around the Rockies. Most concerned about weather vs the steep grades. Looks like I 80 is most direct but will I be OK with a 40 ft DP and towing a Jeep. Appreciate anyone's input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2020, 11:31 AM   #2

The interstates are supposed to be limited to a 6% grade:

Quote:
Maximum grade: The maximum permissible vertical angle, or grade, along the highway is determined from terrain and design speed,[1] with up to 6% generally allowed in mountainous areas, 5% in rolling terrain, and 4% on level terrain. An additional 1% is allowed in urban areas.
As for the weather, didn't they just have a blizzard up there? The weather hasn't settled yet and I-80 in Wyoming has been closed by snow in every month except August. So watch the weather forecasts, you roll the die you take your chances.

Agesilaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #3

Based on your profile, you're heading to South Haven.

I'm seeing reports of campground closures in IL and IN. Personally I hate driving past Chicago. So a recommendation, once you get past the mountains, take US 2 back and go thru Michigans UP. Parts I've been on were good 2-4 lane roads. You actually pass a number of great places to visit. So far, the states you will pass thru have been listing their facilities as staying open.

Somewhere, there is a U-tube of a guy who took US 2 from Maine all the way to Seattle. Has short snips of his dash cam video of the whole trip.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #4

You might consider heading north and picking up I90 at Ritzville.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
You might consider heading north and picking up I90 at Ritzville.
+1

I90 has the lowest grades, mildest weather, and least sidewind effect (typically). Also, disruptive storms are more probably along more southerly routes. Go through Hermiston and the tri-cities and catch I90 at Ritzville to avoid the Vantage Hill, just east of Ellensburg. That hill is the worst pull on the entire I90, as far as I'm concerned, and I've done it end-to-end. It's literally uphill both ways, all day, with a sidewind, in the desert. It might not be the steepest, but it's a killer.

You drop out of the Rockies onto the Montana plains, with options for routes as you proceed east. You can sort things out more comfortably from there as things develop.

Someone said the interstate system is limited to a 6% grade. Perhaps in theory. It was also designed to move military convoys at 100mph. In the west the mountains didn't get the memo. Some of those grades make my ears pop and neck snap just looking at the map. . . .
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:17 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you end up dropping south into Colorado for any reason, the state's Department of Transportation has web cams on many of its highways and interstates: https://www.cotrip.org/map.htm.

We learned of this through an extremely helpful staff member at the Cabela's in Grand Junction, Colorado. Those live camera shots helped us tremendously when we needed to cross the Rockies at the end of October a couple of years ago. We were able to confirm that, although there was snow in the mountains, the roads were clear.

If something like that would be of interest to you, it may be worth checking to see if any states along your preferred route offer that service.

Safe travels!

Mary

4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote