Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2018, 07:03 AM   #1

CoPilot RV travel time incorrect

I am new to CoPilot RV. Just entered a trip from central Indiana to Raymond New Hampshire. Route is what I expected but CoPilot says the trip should take over 28 hrs which is clearly incorrect (google maps says 15 hrs). I cannot figure out the problem. Any suggestions??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2018, 07:30 AM   #2

Have you checked your route options or restrictions?

Maybe your program doesn’t allow travel on toll roads, or no highways, or no bridges.....whatever. Do you know how/where changes are?

It’s under different headings for different travel calculators.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Have you checked your route options or restrictions?

Maybe your program doesn’t allow travel on toll roads, or no highways, or no bridges.....whatever. Do you know how/where changes are?

It’s under different headings for different travel calculators.
I would expect this is right. I just went to Google Maps and started at Indianapolis (you didn't say where in central IN) to Raymond and it said about 15 hours. Then I clicked to avoid highways and tolls and it jumped to about 23 and a half hours.
RayDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:51 AM   #4

Copilot figures your trip at 50 mph
russr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatrackRV View Post
I am new to CoPilot RV. Just entered a trip from central Indiana to Raymond New Hampshire. Route is what I expected but CoPilot says the trip should take over 28 hrs which is clearly incorrect (google maps says 15 hrs). I cannot figure out the problem. Any suggestions??
Does it show the recommended route on a map? Like google maps? I've had this issue before on a standalone GPS when there's been an "avoid" setting I left on when plotting the route.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:32 AM   #6

In CoPilot, go to the vehicle profiles in the settings. There, you can set the speed that you will travel on each different type of road.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatrackRV View Post
You likely have CoPilot set to use custom road speeds for various road types. This feature is a disaster in CoPilot because it results in ETAs like you're experiencing. Even if you set those settings very accurately, CoPilot makes no distinction between the speeds you set in rural vs urban areas.

As an extreme example, think about Highway 30. How would you set that in CoPilot? Highway 30 in the middle of rural Iowa would follow the same setting as Highway 30 originating in Chicago. No way are the speed profiles anywhere near the same for those two situations.

CoPilot is just simply inaccurate unless you buy their option traffic package. With the optional traffic package not only do you get real time traffic but the route selection and ETA calculations are build on historical traffic content from Inrix which is road AND time of day specific. The setting is called ActiveRoutes and it's located in your vehicle routing profile.
Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:56 PM   #8

Co-Pilot Problems

We had lots of problems with our Co-Pilot in our 2018 Fleetwood Discovery. Still trying to figure out how to make it update and find us when we are moving. It frequently has us near the road but in some cases the vehicle on the map is in the lake, swamp or forest. Really unusual.

any suggestions?
Fritz0296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz0296 View Post
We had lots of problems with our Co-Pilot in our 2018 Fleetwood Discovery. Still trying to figure out how to make it update and find us when we are moving. It frequently has us near the road but in some cases the vehicle on the map is in the lake, swamp or forest. Really unusual.

any suggestions?
What hardware are you using CoPilot on?
Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel