Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 RVing Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2020, 10:53 PM   #1

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions Crossing Western State Borders

Has anyone been stopped at a police checkpoint where they where they flag vehicles with out-of-state plates and ask COVID-related questions such as where are you coming from, where are you going, are you showing symptoms, or have you had any contact with others who are or might be infected? I know that there were (or perhaps still are) such checkpoints in Florida and New York.

I need to travel in several western states beginning in August, and I’m just trying to get a feel for what to expect when we hit the road. I have each state’s DOT website bookmarked, as well as several other COVID-9 travel-related websites. Still, I’d like to hear from others who have recently traveled between states, and whether or not they’ve encountered border checkpoints (and if so, where?).
Radio Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2020, 11:20 PM   #2

NO...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:24 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TX to WA, nothing to impede. 2nd week June.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:29 AM   #4

NO enjoy your trip.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:33 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Been out since the end of May. Up the east coast, over the north route on 90 to WA and then down through OR to NV, UT and CO. Nothing at all with the exception of a 5 mile backup going INTO Florida in May (Cuomo is still trying to get back at DeSantis for that!)
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:59 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Traveling since June in Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana with no problems.

Safe Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:42 PM   #7

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions Crossing Western State Borders

Some South Dakota highways that run through Indian Reservations (e.g. 212 on the west side of the Missouri) May have checkpoints and may not allow travel into or through the reservation. I live in SD but I have yet to try one of the northern main highways west from where I live in what we call East River (212 and 12). Earlier in the year (April) we passed through a checkpoint on the Pine Ridge Reservation in the southern part of our state and when we told them that we were traveling straight through, we had no problems. But, as they say, that was then . . . Now that cases are going up on the reservations, it may be a different story.
sshephard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:13 PM   #8

Nothing when I drove thru 4 western states a couple of weeks ago, and I'm about to do it again in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:36 PM   #9

Not enough police to stop interstate travel except on major routes. Florida was stopping folks on I-95. Within 30 miles there are 5 other roads that I know of to cross into Florida from Geogia. Not sure how many other roads I haven't ridden across the state lines. But those would not be a road I'd take with my rig because I don't know them outside of motorcycle riding.

The USA has a not setup to stop interstate travel.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:56 PM   #10
WDW

No checkpoints in NY.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #11

Arrow Thanks for the replies!

Thanks for the info, guys. Very reassuring, and good to know. I didn’t really expect any roadblocks, despite the occasional horror story about someone being refused entry solely because of their license plates indicating that they’re from a high-risk state. The last thing I need is to be turned around and forced to miss an appointment just because we have Florida plates.

We’ve been holed up in southern Oregon (Coos County) since mid-March. Luckily, we had long-term reservations at the park we’re at now, because just when we got here the SHTF and the authorities closed down all state parks and imposed radical rules to help control the spread of the virus. Transients were urged to leave the state. Unless you had reservations for 30 days or more, you were not welcome at campgrounds and hotels. In fact, at least here in Bandon, many folks were told to pack up and leave. That happened to my brother and sister-in-law, who had just driven all the way from Phoenix to rendezvous with us for a family event. Two days after they arrived for a 7-day stay they were booted from their hotel. A few weeks later, when folks started to get antsy after being cooped up in their homes, the city council here put out a statement that said (and I’m paraphrasing here) “Take a look at your drivers license. If you have an Oregon address, get out and enjoy the sunshine. Take a walk on the beach. Just be sure to practice social distancing. If you’re not from here, go to the address on your drivers license.”

Well, four months later we’re still here. All things considered, this has been a pretty safe place to be. There have been only a few dozen COVID cases in the entire county since they started counting, and zero deaths. A month from now, we’re scheduled to be back in the Phoenix area, currently a COVID hot zone. I have compelling reasons to go (medical appointments) but at the same time, I’m somewhat concerned about traveling to a high-risk location. We do have several weeks to see how things shake out in Arizona before making the go-no go decision. I’m not particularly thrilled about returning to the east valley during the dog days of summer, so we’re still considering other options.

In the grand scheme of things I feel pretty lucky. Sure, our travel plans have been disrupted, but at least we have our health, and I’m grateful for that. Meanwhile, millions of other Americans have had their lives disrupted much more than ours, and I feel badly for them. Hopefully the virus will have run its course and it’ll all be over soon. I’m cautiously optimistic.
Radio Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:04 AM   #12

Texas had check points set up for people entering from Louisiana back in March and April, nothing since then though.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:42 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Thread Reminder.
Below is a reminder for all threads and post from the Readme at top of COVID-19 forum.
Let’s keep new post and threads with this in mind.
Quote:
All Community Rules will be strictly enforced in this forum. Posts in violation of the rules may be deleted without notification based on the judgment of the moderators. In addition, posts that exhibit fear-mongering or other anti-social behavior may result in the author’s posting privileges being restricted. Please be especially cautious about posting politically charged content and be sure to report problem posts.

There has been a lot of very useful information and perspective shared here on this topic, but unfortunately also a good bit that does not meet our standards. Please respect your fellow members by thinking through this before posting:

- Is it true?
- Is it helpful?
- Is it kind?
Site Staff
Old 07-26-2020, 07:29 PM   #14

Not sure if you're doing Oregon but be aware that some parks are not taking out of state RVers, and the Gov has said she's considering restricting out of state travelers from entering OR. Not sure how she plans to do that, though. Google for latest updates. Seems to happen each week here in Oregon, like this weekend with new mask requirements.
Geofun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel