Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #1

Crescent City CA to Crater Lake OR

How is the highway 199 from Crescent City to Grant's Pass?
Thanks for any info.
Krashqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I live off 199 a few miles north of the CA/OR border. If a person likes the width of a freeway that person will be unhappy on 199. Coming out of Crescent City on 199 you go through some beautiful redwood trees. That portion of the road is narrow and could be cause for concern. Further north on 199 are some sharp corners. The road surface on 199 is very good and most of 199 is easy to drive. Tractor trailers and log trucks use 199 and overall it is a good road - just a few places that are tight. I drive it with my RV towing a car without problem. If you come up 199 I'd suggest you stop at Great Cats of the World on the south end of Cave Junction. Very interesting presentation and worth the few dollars.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #3

I drove it a couple of years ago in a 40' coach towing a GMC Envoy. It's a 2 lane with no shoulder but is certainly doable. There is a fair amount of truck traffic so you have to watch the tight corners & not stray into the on coming lane. It's really a beautiful drive through the Redwoods.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We did that... my friend, a commercisal truck driver, drove our 36 ft gassser, while my wife rode with his wife in thier ford p/u pulling a 5iver...

i had a great time sitting in the pass seat.
my buddy swore a lot in the drivers seat.

In our current DP, i wouldn't hesitate a moment.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #5

done it many time in 40 footer with toad. you won't find a better road from the coast.
it is a well kept state highway. just pay attention and you will have no problem.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I drove 199 last year before asking anyone what they thought of it. Got to my destination no problem and someone asked my what road did I take to get there. When I said 199 he gave me a funny look and said he wouldn't take that route.

This puzzled me until I read some people have a problem with winding 2 lane highways. I found a small section of 199 to be winding and somewhat narrow, but never thought it to be any kind of problem. I was driving a 32' gasser with a toad.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #7

We did it. No problem. It was scary to look out the window a few times. But fine after we got into Oregon .
Krashqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #8

We did a similar trip last fall and traveled 199 from I-5 to the coast and it was a beautiful drive. I have been on many small difficult roads and this road is not even ranked on this list at all. I hope you enjoy your trip, went from Nor Cal to Crescent City (I-5 to 199) stayed there for 3 days at the KOA, then went north on highway 101 to Gold Beach, Oregon was there for 3 days and finally went to Prospect, Oregon (Prospect is about 30 miles from Crater Lake) for our last four days. I absolutely love Oregon and far Northern California.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krashqueen View Post
We did it. No problem. It was scary to look out the window a few times. But fine after we got into Oregon .

Yep! We did it last year and did not ask anyone about it. Since I was driving I was on the inside, but DW used a double adjective of "frighteningly scary." Of course she was sitting on the "no shoulder" side looking at the tops of trees. I just called it interesting. There was one turn that I hit the air horn as I was going around. I sure am glad an 18 wheeler was not coming from the other direction at that time. I did meet two 18 wheelers but just kept it on my side of the road and them on their side.

I'd do it again.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #10

One thing to remember about 199 it is a California restricted Highway... no motorhomes over 40'

45' Bus & Motorhome Map
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOHOO, what a ride!"
HohoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm 39' 3" according to my specifications, but when I attach the TOAD it adds another 20' more or less. Looking at the information in the link I'm okay to travel that road as they do not mention towing vehicles. Any information on that?

Thanks.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I'm 39' 3" according to my specifications, but when I attach the TOAD it adds another 20' more or less. Looking at the information in the link I'm okay to travel that road as they do not mention towing vehicles. Any information on that?

Thanks.
Wayne, You are good to go....

Over-Length Motorhome: An over-length motorhome is a single-unit motorhome that is longer than 40 feet but not more than 45 feet. (Note: A vehicle combination, e.g. a motorhome towing a vehicle or trailer, may be up to 65 feet length. If the single-unit motorhome is 40 feet or less in length, the combination is not subject to the route restrictions for the over-length motorhome.)

45' Motorhomes
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOHOO, what a ride!"
HohoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Yep! We did it last year and did not ask anyone about it. Since I was driving I was on the inside, but DW used a double adjective of "frighteningly scary." Of course she was sitting on the "no shoulder" side looking at the tops of trees. I just called it interesting. There was one turn that I hit the air horn as I was going around. I sure am glad an 18 wheeler was not coming from the other direction at that time. I did meet two 18 wheelers but just kept it on my side of the road and them on their side.

I'd do it again.
My wife gets really terrified in situations where she's looking over a cliff, dropoff, etc. I'm planning a trip from Olympia, WA to the Redwoods the end of September, and I was planning on going this route, but (1) I'm still somewhat of a novice driving my 10 1/2 ft. wide motorhome pulling my smart car on a dolly, with total combined length around 45 1/2 ft, and (2) from your description my wife would be totally terrified on sections of this road. Can anyone tell me whether just coming down Hwy. 101 along the coast would be a better choice as far as cliffs, no shoulders, etc?? Trying to firm up plans, but I want my DW to be comfortable. She actually gets really anxious if it's a twisty, narrow road with cliffs on her side. :>(
bigcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:19 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We came south on that road three weeks ago from Grant's pass to Crescent city.

Beautiful scenery and good road surface.

You'll do fine.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote