Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2016, 01:32 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cross country NY to CA and back in 3 months

My wife and I are recently retired and planning a 3 month cross country trip in August starting from NY. Our problem is that we have so many interests especially in the southern states that there is no way we can complete the trip in that time frame. Our plan is to do the northern sections first drive to southern CA and do the southern states back to NY. It will be my wife and I as well as 2 small dogs in a 40 foot diesel pusher and a toad. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like a good trip! Knowing you both are retired, what is the rush - why not take your time, and if you have to leave parts of it for next year because you have to be back to NY in three months, so be it.
Enjoy the journey as well as the destination!
Happy camping.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #3

I don't understand your question? It will be hot along the southern route in Aug, so starting out north and ending south is a good idea. All I can say is stay flexible and try to use some of the 2-lane highways and not just interstates.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:56 PM   #4

I've done it twice from NJ and they were fantastic voyages both times. Used Pass Port America both times and it payed for itself at the first campground. Don't make any long term reservations never know what will happen. Reservs the day before worked fine for us. I would consider myself a professional Wallie World camper stayed in them from coast to coast without ever having a problem. Oh ya the Next Exit book was a great addition, along with a National Park Pass. Good luck
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback. I hoping to find fellow rv'rs that have done this before and can suggest the route along the northern states to California.