Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2023, 08:09 PM   #1

Cross Country Trip - CA to RI

Taking the grandkids on a cross country trip ALL the way to Rhode Island.

We figured on going up I-15 to Las Vegas to take them to the Hoover Dam and then up to I-70 to hit some of the NP's in Utah etc. Heading East as far as Columbus Ohio, then I just dont know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2023, 08:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjaywalker View Post

We figured on going up I-15 to Las Vegas to take them to the Hoover Dam and then up to I-70 to hit some of the NP's in Utah etc. Heading East as far as Columbus Ohio, then I just dont know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
OK....this was asking too much. I get it.
Old 06-09-2023, 08:31 AM   #3

Columbus Ohio to Providence RI ? Anyone?

Looking for tips or tricks. Routes up and through NY
Old 06-09-2023, 03:59 PM   #4

If you plug in 'New York and north camping' in the Search box there are many posts that appear that may help you. Here is one of many:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/upst...rk-591262.html

You may want to do a Search for other states like Rhode Island, etc.

How long will you have for this trip? It's a biggie with children. What are their ages and interests?

Take advantage of any Kid's Ranger Programs at national and state parks.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 06:41 PM   #5

What are the grandkids interests? Air force musium & Wright Brothers musium is by Columbus OH. Smithsonian air musium by Washington's Dulles Airport, strategic air command musium just west of Omaha NE, Dover AFB musium, they are all great for kids. Finger Lakes area in NY, see Watkins Glenn, grand canyon of the east. Spoil the grandkids and go to see what they want.
daveh5525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 07:00 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hope you have at least 8 weeks for this trip. With put knowing the kids' ages much to be guessed. Generally they don't enjoy long travel days. More so very many link long days without some down time. Allow for some totally unscheduled days for unknown events and weather issues.

We left New Mexico in mid May for a trip to Newfoundland and back across Canada 1 then south. About 12,000 miles. We have 14+ weeks allocated for this trip. We'll be crossing into Canada in three days.

Be aware of the toll roads in many of these states. The fees add up fast. Sometimes the roads are good and other places they are pretty bad.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 07:02 PM   #7

If kids like sports Baseball hall of fame in Ohio.

Basketball hall of fame in Springfield MA

Illinois Sand Dunes

Join harvest hosts and visit farms?
Old 06-09-2023, 09:21 PM   #8

We had a wonderful trip across northern Ohio over to MA down to to CT back to NY. Not so much for kids, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland is great for over the hill rockers. We stayed at Punderson State Park, looked like it had a number of activities for the grands.

If you take I-90 a stop to take a quick peak at Niagara Falls is a great day for all. In the area are forts and light houses. Fun for all ages.

When in New York, take a ride on the Erie Canal and visit the Baseball hall of fame. Catch a ballgame in any of the many cities you will be near.

Boston is full of history, but who can resist Old Ironsides? If you head up the Hudson River Valley, many historic stops and if in the area at the right time, you might see biplanes in flight at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 09:50 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjaywalker View Post

If you go to Bowling Green, Ky. you can see the Corvette Museum and factory tour. In Lexington, Ky is the Kentucky Horse Park, it is really nice there.

Cincinnati, Ohio you have the Cincinnati Reds and Bengals. The Reds Hall of Fame is really good. Cincinnati Zoo is always a nice place to visit. Then there is King's Island in just north of Cincinnati on I-71.

On up I-75 is Dayton, Ohio, that is where the Wright-Patt Air Base is with the US Air Force Museum. Nearby is the Wright brothers bicycle shop and house.
In Canton, Ohio is the Football Hall of Fame, nice stop. Cleveland has the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Over in Chillicothe, Ohio they do an outdoor play called Tecumseh, we have seen it a couple of times. It is a nice play to go to and watch.

https://tecumsehdrama.com/
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 04:23 AM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
Getting ready to leave on a trip from RI to CA!

I would suggest using some sort of trip planning application, I use RV Parky, there are plenty of others. I also joined Harvest Hosts and in my planning have found some really amazing looking Host spots along our route. These, combined with good ol' Google Maps helped me plot my route out and back. I don't know about 8 weeks for CA to RI but I have 4-6 weeks planned for our round trip.

Obviously your route will depend on what you want to stop and see but my recommendation is to try and avoid the I95 corridor from NY through CT if possible. Some of the worst roads and traffic in the area. If you can come in via I84 to Rt 9 to I95 you'll be saving some traffic time and seeing a prettier area.

For our trip, it's 4 adults and a 13 year old so we'll be mixing in some NP's with some adventure stops. We have 5 days planned in the southern Utah area due to the sheer amount of things there are to see there. Not sure how old your grandkids are or what their interests are.

As far as RI, assuming you're familiar with the area if you're coming here. If not, I'll say there are a lot of camping opportunities in the southern part of the state, as well as close by in eastern CT. Plenty to see in this area; Mystic CT, the beaches in southern RI (Westerly and Narragansett areas), Newport RI to name a few. Plenty of camping in the north western part of the state as well, though not as much else to see/do in those areas.

Good luck with your trip and maybe we'll pass each other on the way!
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 04:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaytheDJ View Post
Getting ready to leave on a trip from RI to CA!

I don't know about 8 weeks for CA to RI but I have 4-6 weeks planned for our round trip.

For our trip, it's 4 adults and a 13 year old so we'll be mixing in some NP's with some adventure stops. We have 5 days planned in the southern Utah area due to the sheer amount of things there are to see there. Not sure how old your grandkids are or what their interests are.
If you can swing it I'd surely add some more time to your 4-6 weeks for such a long trip. 5 days in southern Utah isn't enough.... especially with a 13-year-old who would love to explore the national parks and hike some neat trails. For Arches NP try to reserve the Fiery Furnance ranger-led hike. In Bryce go 'down' the Wall Street hike to the bottom of the fairyland. You can come 'up' it also but you might want to come up an easier way. Moab... take an evening boat cruise on the Colorado River. If you have a 4x4 drive some of the neat trails. Also, don't forget Zion, the north rim of the Grand Canyon and Capitol Reef NP, along with Goblin Valley! So much to see.....

Also keep in mind the parks now have timed entries which you'll have to reserve.... or go in later in the day.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 06:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If you plug in 'New York and north camping' in the Search box there are many posts that appear that may help you. Here is one of many:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/upst...rk-591262.html

You may want to do a Search for other states like Rhode Island, etc.

How long will you have for this trip? It's a biggie with children. What are their ages and interests?

Take advantage of any Kid's Ranger Programs at national and state parks.

6 weeks. The 11 yr old is into the Jr Ranger program. Thanks for the links, i will check them out.
Old 06-30-2023, 06:22 PM   #13

Quote:
If you can swing it I'd surely add some more time to your 4-6 weeks for such a long trip. 5 days in southern Utah isn't enough.... especially with a 13-year-old who would love to explore the national parks and hike some neat trails. For Arches NP try to reserve the Fiery Furnance ranger-led hike. In Bryce go 'down' the Wall Street hike to the bottom of the fairyland. You can come 'up' it also but you might want to come up an easier way. Moab... take an evening boat cruise on the Colorado River. If you have a 4x4 drive some of the neat trails. Also, don't forget Zion, the north rim of the Grand Canyon and Capitol Reef NP, along with Goblin Valley! So much to see.....

Also keep in mind the parks now have timed entries which you'll have to reserve.... or go in later in the day.

Wow. Thank you. A lot to do and explore. The kids like hiking, and we do have a Jeep 4x4. Fun times ahead. Thx
Old 07-02-2023, 04:59 AM   #14

Quote:

Thank you, we didnt have but a few days. We will have to do a return trip to spend more time. Love that area. Thank you very much