Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2022, 06:27 PM   #1

Cross Country Trip Upstate NY to Grand Canyon

We are looking to take a cross country trip to the Grand Canyon next month (May). We are driving a 34' Class A pulling a dolly with van. We have taken many long trips back and forth to Florida but this is the fist time heading west across the plains and into the Mountains.

I'm looking for any advice on best routes and stops or worst routes and stops. It seems like route 70 is the most direct route out to there.

Thanks!
psearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2022, 06:44 PM   #2

Reasonable timeline for driving from Upstate NY to Grand Canyon

We are driving a 34' Class A with toad. We have done many trips to Florida and back, and have easily driven 8-10 hour days. However going west I know is a different type of driving and I'm trying to get a feel for what would be a reasonable timeline to drive as straight through as possible so we can maximize our time out west?

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2022, 06:48 PM   #3

All I can tell you to try and help you out is that it took me 2 days to get there from Dallas, TX. Drove 12 hrs the 1st day to New Mexico for stop over and then about 6-8 hours on day 2. I will tell you that I remember sitting in traffic in the park for about 90 mins before getting to the rv park in the Grand Canyon on day 2.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:51 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
5 days or so. We did this trip a few seasons ago. The thing about 8 hour drive days is that they build up after awhile. We planned 8 hour drives every day and on the way back stuck to 5 hour drives. A 5 hour drive can quickly turn into an 8 hour day with stops for fuel, stretching, and eating. 8 hour drive days can turn ugly. If you want to enjoy the drive as well as the destination, keep the drives shorter and take breaks throughout the day. Do long days early in the drive if you have to. You’ll enjoy it much more.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:05 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
It's going to be a great trip. While your are that far west stop by Las Vegas, NV and come visit us in California. I figure a month will get it all done.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 07:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
5 days or so. We did this trip a few seasons ago. The thing about 8 hour drive days is that they build up after awhile. We planned 8 hour drives every day and on the way back stuck to 5 hour drives. A 5 hour drive can quickly turn into an 8 hour day with stops for fuel, stretching, and eating. 8 hour drive days can turn ugly. If you want to enjoy the drive as well as the destination, keep the drives shorter and take breaks throughout the day. Do long days early in the drive if you have to. You’ll enjoy it much more.
Agree completely. Break it up with a long then a shorter day or a couple long then a very short would be my preference if only one driver. If two that's another story.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 07:52 PM   #7

when you determine your actual route figure the total mileage and divide that by 50 (average speed when figuring in traffic, construction, gas, food and other stops). that will get you total hours. divide that number by the number of actual hours in your travel day. that will tell you how many travel days you will need. safe trip.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:44 PM   #8

Approx. 5+ days if driving 8-hour days.

Leaving from Endicott, NY via I-86, I-70, I-44, I-40 and going through big cities will be approx. 45 hours on the road.

(2350 mi. @50mph avg. for stops, meals, etc.) 50 is what we always used to figure a trip.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 11:26 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where do you plan to go to see the Grand Canyon?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 04:10 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We've made seven cross-country camping trips (three of them with kids) and countless runs down the east coast to Florida. If you're comfortable traveling to Florida in two full, straight days of driving, then five full days of driving is a reasonable estimate - depending on your definition of "upstate". If you mean Orange County, five days will do it. If you're coming from Clinton County, you'll want to tack on another day.

That being said, I would seriously consider adding a day of R&R after your third day of driving. Take a break and just relax. With that many successive days on the road, fatigue can easily build, and it can become a little more difficult to maintain your enthusiasm for the trip and safe driving practices. Another tip that has made our "commutes" more enjoyable is including a special treat or activity every day on the road. For us, it may be a picnic lunch in a park, stopping for ice cream or stretching our legs by wandering through a Cabela's. If you make the out and back enjoyable, the entire trip will become a happy memory.

Have fun planning and travel safely!

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 04:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
when you determine your actual route figure the total mileage and divide that by 50 (average speed when figuring in traffic, construction, gas, food and other stops). that will get you total hours. divide that number by the number of actual hours in your travel day. that will tell you how many travel days you will need. safe trip.
How long do you plan on being at the Canyon and is it your only destination. Lot of butt pain and expense for a short turn around time.

rk911 has a good formula. But as others have said, plan some short days to recoup.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 04:35 PM   #12

I just love 60 through southern MO, that's a beautiful drive. 40 isn't bad till you get to New Mexico. If you want to get off the freeway, 264 through the Navajo nation is a great drive long as you don't mind being out in the boonies. 53 through Zuni is one of my favorite drives.

We stayed at Circle Pines a couple of times, it's a neat place. Especially if you're dragging kids around.
Old 05-02-2022, 04:41 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do not use I-70 thru Colorado. Big passes (11,000'+) and steep downgrades.
Go south. But not too far, I-20 thru Louisiana and Alabama will shake your coach really bad.
Ask me how I know......

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post
I just love 60 through southern MO, that's a beautiful drive. 40 isn't bad till you get to New Mexico. If you want to get off the freeway, 264 through the Navajo nation is a great drive long as you don't mind being out in the boonies. 53 through Zuni is one of my favorite drives.

We stayed at Circle Pines a couple of times, it's a neat place. Especially if you're dragging kids around.
Thanks for the info. We are staying on the highways going out so we can get there faster. I also don't really like the driving part of the trip, I'm a little stressed out about all the elevations on this trip.

I was planning on 40 through NM, what is bad about it?