Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #1

Cross Country trip with zigs and zags

Hello to All, I am hoping some full time RV'ers have answers for me. I have just spent 2 weeks at the computer planning a trip with stops of interest. We are leaving WA state going to: ID, UT, Grand Canyon N rim AZ, Slide Rock/Carlsbad Caverns NM, Abilene,Waco & College Station TX, Bossier MS, Murphreesboro AR, Memphis & Nashville TN, Waleska GA, Abbeeville SC, Jacksonville, NC. We are planning this route the last 2 weeks of September/ October starting our return about end of October/November. As I was printing out our wonderful itinerary it struck me like a bolt of lightening!!! TORNADOES!!!!!! Here is my questions???? Will we likely run into a tornado this time of year and if we do what are the roads like (ice, snow??) if we had to head into IN, IL, IA, NB, WY, ID in order to get home. I hope there are experienced people that can help me with this, also what in the H--- do you do if all of a sudden you see a tornado and you are driving with a toad and 4 dogs, I have no problem canceling this trip if it might be too dangerous, "just say'n".:
lotzopets42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #2

I wouldn't worry about tornado's in the fall too much. Just make sure your weather apps will send you warnings.

I am more concerned about how much you want to see in such a short time. You are going to wear yourself driving and not smelling the roses.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:39 PM   #3

Not really the time of year for big thunderstorms. If you want to cross in the prime time for them think spring. We are westbound in April. Some thought has been given to storms. Basically if a storm is to the SW of us we plan to turn NW & let it pass behind us. Had one following us when we were eastbound. We made a turn north for about 10 miles, stopped, watched the storm go by, went back south & followed behind the storm.

Sort of like stepping out of the way of a train. Get off its track.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:43 PM   #4

Don't leave so late if you want to see things in Idaho and Utah. Grand Canyon North Rim will be closed... better head to the South Rim.

Oct/Nov isn't the time to do those northern parks except until perhaps mid-October.

With the current weather patterns - who knows if you'll travel in any tornado areas? All you can do is monitor the weather as you travel and if you see a front moving in the direction you're heading then just hunker down until it passes. Tornados begin in spring/early summer but it's not a given. One just happened.... in February.

I sure wouldn't put off doing a whole trip because of weather! Don't live in fear. Go and enjoy your trip. I think the 4 dogs will be more relaxed about the trip than you will.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:44 PM   #5

Really! I have a total of 21 stops and I figure no more than 4-6 hours of driving per day, I hope I didn't do my math wrong, YIKES!! I am new to this and it looks good on paper , what would you recommend. Thank you for saying not to worry about tornadoes so much, I think I would just about die from fright if I saw one coming at me. Thank you again for the info
Old 03-01-2018, 03:48 PM   #6

Thank you for the great info! I know fear is a sin, it really just "creeps" up on me sometimes
Old 03-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #7

4-6 hours of driving equates to 200-250 miles per day with stops, meals etc. By the time you set up camp and break down camp iadd another 2 hours.

Then you have food shopping, dumping the tanks and whatever goes wrong on the trip.

Snow comes to the north anytime from Sept onwards.

Remember you will be at altitude so snow and cold comes early. Be very cautious with the weather and be prepared to hunder down for a few days if the weather is bad and to pull over if it deteriorates.

Don't push your luck.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 03-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #8

OIYVEH! Was so worried about tornadoes didn't think about snow in the N, I have a lot of learning to do before this trip! Thank you so much
Old 03-01-2018, 04:11 PM   #9

Generally I plan at least two nights wherever we are stopping to look at something. That gives us time to go look and appreciate it instead of hurrying though because we got there an hour before closing...
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #10

Also, don't fret with minor hiccups along the way, just roll with them. They become fire ring tales as the years go by.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 03-05-2018, 07:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotzopets42 View Post
Hello to All, I am hoping some full time RV'ers have answers for me. I have just spent 2 weeks at the computer planning a trip with stops of interest. We are leaving WA state going to: ID, UT, Grand Canyon N rim AZ, Slide Rock/Carlsbad Caverns NM, Abilene,Waco & College Station TX, Bossier MS, Murphreesboro AR, Memphis & Nashville TN, Waleska GA, Abbeeville SC, Jacksonville, NC. We are planning this route the last 2 weeks of September/ October starting our return about end of October/November. As I was printing out our wonderful itinerary it struck me like a bolt of lightening!!! TORNADOES!!!!!! Here is my questions???? Will we likely run into a tornado this time of year and if we do what are the roads like (ice, snow??) if we had to head into IN, IL, IA, NB, WY, ID in order to get home. I hope there are experienced people that can help me with this, also what in the H--- do you do if all of a sudden you see a tornado and you are driving with a toad and 4 dogs, I have no problem canceling this trip if it might be too dangerous, "just say'n".:
Start earlier - as the Snow does not wait for you.

North Rim info

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Get a good map and go don't over plan - you are working in the shoulder season, so the crowds will be lighter (Less need for Reservations - I don't plan so this is when we try to travel) but the weather is closer to Winter in the Mountains than the Freak tornado - Storm chasers have a hard time finding them, likely you will too.

Weather will dictate more of your trip in the Fall/Winter so IMHO, start on September 1st and work your way down, south and elevation as both will dictate the weather and the Temperature - Look for these in the third week of September - https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Hook yourself up to a weather App and just go with the temperatures that suit you.

Keep your Propane or Hydra Hot working as Heat is likely to be needed on much of this trip.

Lat break it down into sections - plan - then move to next area, IMHO, makes it easier to think about.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote