Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2021, 06:31 AM   #1

Arrow Cross Country without Interstates / US20 and US30?

Hello, all. I haven't really found good info on the topic of travel speeds on interstates vs. state/us highways. We are planning a cross country trip with my older teens from Northern Virginia to Black Hills, Yellowstone and Tetons during June/July 2022. Driving an F350 CCSB towing a 37' Keystone TT. All of the mapping apps force travel on interstates vs. US highways and state roads, even when interstates are somewhat longer distances. Even RV Trip Wizard seems to do this when I set it to use my average overland speed (55 mph).

I have to believe that some of the more scenic routes are similar trip times, perhaps even shorter, when I consider that I'll drive a max of about 65mph on an interstate. Many times the US highways are shorter distances than the interstates. I'm particularly thinking of US 30 across Iowa and Nebraska (and maybe Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois), as well as US 20 across Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska to Wyoming. I've done interstate xc drives 4x, so I'd rather make the trip a little nicer. The reality is that I have 3 weeks to take the family out west, and we're not really looking for a midwestern vacation (no offense!) so some good westward progress is necessary.

Can anyone comment on the speed or conditions of these roads?
LJD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2021, 06:38 AM   #2

In TripWizard, Trip Settings>Routing & Driving>Avoid Highways on (will avoid limited access highways unless it’s the only way).
emdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 07:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdoc View Post
In TripWizard, Trip Settings>Routing & Driving>Avoid Highways on (will avoid limited access highways unless it’s the only way).
Thanks - This actually goes too far, since I don't mind some stretches of interstate where necessary, and actually adds 1300mi to my existing 4600mi round trip while still avoiding things like the Lincoln Hwy and US20. I really wish I could simply program a MAX RV speed instead of just telling it to use the average. That way it would not try and "save" me time on an 80mph interstate.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD3 View Post
Hello, all. I haven't really found good info on the topic of travel speeds on interstates vs. state/us highways. We are planning a cross country trip with my older teens from Northern Virginia to Black Hills, Yellowstone and Tetons during June/July 2022. Driving an F350 CCSB towing a 37' Keystone TT. All of the mapping apps force travel on interstates vs. US highways and state roads, even when interstates are somewhat longer distances. Even RV Trip Wizard seems to do this when I set it to use my average overland speed (55 mph).

I have to believe that some of the more scenic routes are similar trip times, perhaps even shorter, when I consider that I'll drive a max of about 65mph on an interstate. Many times the US highways are shorter distances than the interstates. I'm particularly thinking of US 30 across Iowa and Nebraska (and maybe Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois), as well as US 20 across Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska to Wyoming. I've done interstate xc drives 4x, so I'd rather make the trip a little nicer. The reality is that I have 3 weeks to take the family out west, and we're not really looking for a midwestern vacation (no offense!) so some good westward progress is necessary.

Can anyone comment on the speed or conditions of these roads?
With out commenting on your exact route - we generally will use the I's East of the Mississippi River, then for us Route 36, Hannibal, MO, has proven a good alternative and we have generally bounced North as needed. The speed, because of lights and towns In the East are just too many to make time - with three weeks, You will need to Make time, otherwise most of your trip will be Travel Days. (JMHO)

Couple other things to consider, when it comes to making time, We generally will get in 4-6 hours
, leaving right after work, when we leave - used to be right after work on Friday (Retired so not needed but still practiced) - in our case from the Bay Bridge that gets us close to the Ohio Border and just really helps in making time - One year I made 7 trips to, or from Colorado - so I have some Idea (4 Grandaughter's in Colorado) about the travel times, and how critical the route is.

Just to sum it up - Get out of the East/Central states before you look for Alternatives to the I's = Put in as long a day as Possible all the way out to the Rockies, so you will have Time to see and enjoy what you are driving Thousands of Miles to see. You have Bitten off a BIG BITE of the USA so you will need as much time as possible to see the sight's - the WEST is Big Really Big, so get to where you want to be Quickly - then slow down and Enjoy it.

Hope this is of some help.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 08:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Highway 20 from western Chicago to Souix City highway is very good. Scenic in western Illinois and like an interstate across Iowa except no near as many trucks and traffic.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 02:15 PM   #6

Agree that US 20 in Iowa is a good road and 4 lane but you lose the 4 lane shortly into Nebraska. Have to go through a fair number of small towns and would lose some time. Don't get me wrong, I'm from Nebraska and love driving through that area. Family is from the Plainview area. And I love driving through the Sand Hills in late spring. No mountains, just wide open plains. Would remind you of Dances With Wolves. Some very interesting areas to explore like Ft. Robinson, Toadstool State Park, Agate Fossil Beds national monument, canoeing on the Niobrara. But most of these would be out of the way. If the goal is to get to your main destinations so that you can spend more time there I think you would be better off taking interstates, at least once you get to Nebraska. So much to see and do in the Black Hills, Tetons and Yellowstone!
Old 12-18-2021, 08:27 PM   #7

Oh, and just be aware that there are roads in the Black Hills that you don't want to take an RV. Like 16A.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:52 PM   #8

I can tell you from personal experience that US-20 through Ohio and into Chicago will not be any fun. Think of Cleveland, Toledo, and Gary IN and Chicago/Joliet. In those areas I would say you would double your time by staying off of the Interstates. Most US highways have a town about every 25 miles as they were originally stage coach roads and the towns grew up around the stage stops which were about 25 miles apart. Further west they get better and many have been rerouted around the downtown areas where they originally ran. I can testify that US-36 from Hannibal to I-35 is a road where this has been done, but that's a little off of your route. I don't know about US-30 or US-20 out there. I would get one of those old fashioned folding GPSs they have at the rest areas and take a good look at your trip. All of that said, sometimes the trip is the destination. Happy travels.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 09:04 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I feel a lot safer, get there sooner, get better gas mileage, avoid many stops by taking Interstates. Out west it's the same scenery either way. In heavily forested areas you can't see anything but trees.
Now if you want to see a lot of farmland stay on the back roads.
One of the most scenic roads in the US is I-70 thru the Colorado Rockies.
Old 12-18-2021, 09:10 PM   #10

If you run Hwy 20 thru the greater Chicagoland area(Gary IN), you may mistake for Beruit Lebenon, during their civil war.
Old 12-19-2021, 04:58 AM   #11

Three weeks may not be long enough. On top of the travel time being extended you will also see many things that "someone" will want to stop at.
Old 12-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #12

Thanks to everyone for the helpful info. It sounds like staying on the interstates is the way to go east of the Mississippi, but west of there they may be as fast as interstates, or pretty close. I'll drive 65 on a good 60mph road, and 65 on an 80mph road. I can also probably share more of the driving on I20 or I36.

I'd love 4-5 weeks but it's either do it in 3, or don't do it at all. We've had a couple friends do similar trips via car in 2 weeks. Until we get at least to SD, we plan on following the Rule of 3^-1. That is, drive at least 300 miles, until at least 3pm, for 3 days straight