Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2016, 05:00 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Mesa is at 1200', Flagstaff at 7000'---on I-7, there is a long, long steep climb that will work any rig hard, but you don't have a choice on your route.
Hwy 160 from 89 into Cortez is pretty desolate, mostly reservation lands. Winds can get pretty strong at times, we lost an awning near Tuba City once.
Cameron, AZ, has some good-sized stations--one on west side seems to be a must-stop for almost everyone.
Joe

I have to ask, how does one prevent themselves from losing an awning?

I was looking at Google maps last night. I zoomed in on Route 89, not much on there until Cortez. The rest of the drive looks pretty good, never isolated anywhere. Wolf Creek Pass will be a challenge, I think. I've read about the drive over the pass and you just have to take your time, watch the road and your speed coming down the other side.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2016, 06:53 PM   #16

Crossing Colorado from The Four Corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
I have to ask, how does one prevent themselves from losing an awning?

Retract it... :

When you go inside for the night,
When it is windy or high winds are expected,
Before you leave the coach for an extended period of time.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Retract it... :

When you go inside for the night,
When it is windy or high winds are expected,
Before you leave the coach for an extended period of time.
How about when your driving? What can be done to keep it from unfurling?
Old 09-14-2016, 08:29 PM   #18

Oh.

Ours extends and retracts by motor. That has kept the awning retracted. I don't know how manually extended awnings are held in place, but would assume that there is some sort of strap or bracket that tethers them to the side of the coach or trailer.

We were coming across the Mackinaw Bridge last year in some pretty strong wind. A travel trailer approaching us from the other direction had their awning fabric flapping in the breeze as they drove across the bridge. We saw the awning support arms in the roadway some time later.

Hope that you find your solution.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:48 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Oh.

Ours extends and retracts by motor. That has kept the awning retracted. I don't know how manually extended awnings are held in place, but would assume that there is some sort of strap or bracket that tethers them to the side of the coach or trailer.

We were coming across the Mackinaw Bridge last year in some pretty strong wind. A travel trailer approaching us from the other direction had their awning fabric flapping in the breeze as they drove across the bridge. We saw the awning support arms in the roadway some time later.

Hope that you find your solution.
Ours is electric so hopefully the motor will hold tight to the roller and keep it in place.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:15 AM   #20

It was a manual awning on our 2nd TT. Wind got into the fabric roll and opened it out, then it just tore off. After replacing, we used velcro straps around the arms to keep it from opening, and also had one with a weatherguard installed--problem solved.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
It was a manual awning on our 2nd TT. Wind got into the fabric roll and opened it out, then it just tore off. After replacing, we used velcro straps around the arms to keep it from opening, and also had one with a weatherguard installed--problem solved.
Joe
Happened to us also while driving in Texas when we had a 5th wheel. However, the arms stayed attached to the RV wall. 'Just' the roller and awning torpedoed across the highway. We were soooo lucky that no one else was driving by at the time. We were on a secondary highway and had a cornering wind which caught the roller. It wasn't even a particularly windy day. So it can happen at any time, any place.

Velcro would have never made a difference because the arms stayed in place. After that we saw a device on the internet called 'Awning Saver' and we used it thereafter. I'm sure there are many devices out there nowadays. That was over 20 years ago.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado