Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2017, 06:06 AM   #15

Crazy to think but we truly are "winging it" lol
We did Colorado last September, just beautiful. Ill look into the locations you mentioned. You seem to be very knowledgeable so how about any suggestions for Wyoming and the Dakotas, which we did 4 years ago. We didn't stay long enough we really want to explore this trip. Also if you know of any fabulous RV parks that would be great also.
Ddcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2017, 06:57 AM   #16

We've never stayed there, but I've had many people recommend Grizzly in West Yellowstone.
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddcouple View Post
Crazy to think but we truly are "winging it" lol

We did Colorado last September, just beautiful.

Ill look into the locations you mentioned.

You seem to be very knowledgeable so how about any suggestions for Wyoming and the Dakotas, which we did 4 years ago.

We didn't stay long enough we really want to explore this trip.

Also if you know of any fabulous RV parks that would be great also.
Guessing this was aimed at me?

My Knowledge of Colorado is mainly due to having 4 granddaughters there, (allowing me to visit often, just not enough) but over the years we have spent a good bit of time in the Rockies and I might suggest a few things for you that we have enjoyed.

Black Hills and Custer - Custer State Park - Sylvan Lake - Needles Highway - Jewel Cave - Mt .Rushmore at dusk for the evening Ceremony - Having Native American Blood in my veins I am usually seeking out local attractions but was not impressed with Crazy Horse. (More of a Canyon de Chelly or Window Rock sort) The drives in the mountains and just the Sheer Beauty of the Black Hills and those Rocks are Impressive. So you could easily spend a Week and still want to come Back. We enjoyed Custer Gulch Campground - Open and relaxing with little noise and nice sites, just outside Custer.

From there - you could catch Devils Tower - Just totally different in the middle of the Plains. (IMHO this is a drive by as I don't climb)

Then take your time driving through the Big Horn Mountains on RT 16 - from there to Shoshoni and Wind River Canyon - little CG right on the River - First drove this in the early 70's and had Dreams about this River that ran Uphill - not to be rediscovered until the early 2000's - just my mind , but the River flows North - the train tracks and the road just give the Illusion of the River flowing UP - Love this drive and the vision of the River flowing Uphill is solved. After a night there, or Thermopolis and the Hot Springs - this gives you the opportunity to see the River driving both ways - LOVE THIS DRIVE. On up to Cody - many options to camp in and around - including Wal*Mart - good time to resupply before entering YNP as things are few and $$$ this late in the season.

From Cody - the drive on Chief Joseph Highway - and the Beartooth would be fun as day trips in the Toad. On some of the Pull outs you can get a Beautiful Picture of the Beartooth mountain for which the range was named. Or you could Find a CG and just spend the better part of a week exploring this rugged part of Yellowstone, I love this area, and have never been able to get enough of it - Snow may come early but will normally melt off quickly, so just be aware to keep an eye on the weather.

While in Cody or Thermopolis - one more good Toad drive is 14/14A across the Big Horns, just a Beautiful drive.

So up to You as to coming into YNP from the North (Cooke City) or the East (Cody)

As the weather will be Cool, and no need for A/C, so you can Dry camp easily - just be sure to have Propane and Good Batteries - I'll leave Yellowstone to you as it is larger than Delaware and Rhode Island combined and has more than you can see in a lifetime.

I'll always suggest trying to get a cancellation in the Old Faithful Inn - as it is IMHO part of Yellowstone that should not be missed.

Not to discourage Glacier and Montana but the fires have been crazy this year and might just not be a good time, also I think I've gotten you well into October now and you will need to be heading South.

If weather has already started to get too Cool you can head out through the Tetons - Jackson - Alpine - Flaming Gorge - Dino NM - and into either Parts of Colorado or Utah. Colorado NM - RT 128 to Moab - all of Utah in October/November and later are great.

Sort of covers most of what you need, will include a few links at the end here.

Map - https://binged.it/2uYjFDZ

https://custerresorts.com/activities...edles-highway/

https://www.google.com/search?q=big+...6!2i579!4f13.1

http://www.travelwyoming.com/listing...h-scenic-byway

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bear...hrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=oldf...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Best of Luck, hope this is of some help, as I am just jealous that I'm not there this year.

Working on the DW to spend the next few years out there.

Let me Know if I can be of more help, as you are traveling the way we always do - just heading out, and seeing America, no firm plan, no reservations.

Busskipper
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:34 PM   #18

Wow this is amazing. Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of these recommendations. Ill check into everything you sent.
Ddcouple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yellowstone