Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2021, 05:03 PM   #1

Current Road Status I-15NB to I-84EB

heading back east next week and looking for reports on I-15NB to I-84EB in SLC. i want to avoid the long climb EB on I-80 so my plan was to head north on I-15 to I-84 and then pickup I-80 east, google maps today is showing significant delays on NB I-15 south of the I-84 junction. that jives with a road construction warning from UT DOT. looking for reports on how bad it is from anyone who has been thru there in the last few days.

is UT193 between I-15 and US89 and then north on US89 to I-84 an appropriate road for us? 193 is north of the construction zone so this is likely not much of an alternate.

i *really* want to avoid the lonnnnnng climb on I-80 so I'd appreciate any info on what to expect running I-15 to I-84.

we're overnighting at the SLC KOA on Tuesday night. we can pull out early Wednesday morning to avoid the rush hour traffic...how early would that have to be? we have a long drive to Laramie, WY that day (400-mi) and i'm the only driver so we were going to get an early start anyway.

and...none of the maps I have including UT DOT maps show a ramp from NB 15 to EB 84. one does exist, right? looks like it should be around MM340.

we're in a 2016 40' ford v-10 gasser towing a jeep suv.

thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2021, 06:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
heading back east next week and looking for reports on I-15NB to I-84EB in SLC. i want to avoid the long climb EB on I-80 so my plan was to head north on I-15 to I-84 and then pickup I-80 east, google maps today is showing significant delays on NB I-15 south of the I-84 junction. that jives with a road construction warning from UT DOT. looking for reports on how bad it is from anyone who has been thru there in the last few days.

is UT193 between I-15 and US89 and then north on US89 to I-84 an appropriate road for us? 193 is north of the construction zone so this is likely not much of an alternate.

i *really* want to avoid the lonnnnnng climb on I-80 so I'd appreciate any info on what to expect running I-15 to I-84.

we're overnighting at the SLC KOA on Tuesday night. we can pull out early Wednesday morning to avoid the rush hour traffic...how early would that have to be? we have a long drive to Laramie, WY that day (400-mi) and i'm the only driver so we were going to get an early start anyway.

and...none of the maps I have including UT DOT maps show a ramp from NB 15 to EB 84. one does exist, right? looks like it should be around MM340.

we're in a 2016 40' ford v-10 gasser towing a jeep suv.

thanks.
I'm not quite sure what you are saying? Are you coming from south of SLC on I15 and wanting to go east on 80?

Going all the way up to the I 15/I84 junction in Ogden is a LONG ways out of your way, but if that's what you want to do, yes, there is an exit from 15 to 84, sort of. 15 and 84 merge for a few miles. It is not really an exit, but a merge onto and off of and follow the signs for 15 or 84. With Semi if we were that far north and wanted to go east we took I15 to US 89 to I84. I actually think when you get to 89 there is signage that directs you to 84 that way. But yes. 15 and 84 merge together and twist and turn and wind around. Personally I would rather climb the hill.

It sounds like your plans are made but if coming from the south on I15, I would get off at Provo and go up US189 to 40. The road up the canyon is a little curvy, but it is brand new road and not much climbing, plus it's beautiful. We used to take it with the trucks but then they shut it down to 18 wheelers. Motorhomes can still use it. A little planning and there are several campgrounds going up the canyon. I've never stayed in one but they look beautiful. Right on the river.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
I'm not quite sure what you are saying? Are you coming from south of SLC on I15 and wanting to go east on 80?

Going all the way up to the I 15/I84 junction in Ogden is a LONG ways out of your way, but if that's what you want to do, yes, there is an exit from 15 to 84, sort of. 15 and 84 merge for a few miles. It is not really an exit, but a merge onto and off of and follow the signs for 15 or 84. With Semi if we were that far north and wanted to go east we took I15 to US 89 to I84. I actually think when you get to 89 there is signage that directs you to 84 that way. But yes. 15 and 84 merge together and twist and turn and wind around. Personally I would rather climb the hill.

It sounds like your plans are made but if coming from the south on I15, I would get off at Provo and go up US189 to 40. The road up the canyon is a little curvy, but it is brand new road and not much climbing, plus it's beautiful. We used to take it with the trucks but then they shut it down to 18 wheelers. Motorhomes can still use it. A little planning and there are several campgrounds going up the canyon. I've never stayed in one but they look beautiful. Right on the river.
we're heading back to IL from CA via I-80. we'll be comimg east on 80 to SLC from Elko,NV, overnighting at the SLC KOA and heading the next morning to Laramie WY. i know i CAN make the EB climb on I-80 i'm just choosing not to unless no other viable option. so my plan is to head north in the morning on I-215/I-15 from the KOA to EB I-84 at Riverdale (~30 miles) and then follow I-84 to EB I-80 at Echo, UT (~40-mi). my concern is the construction and delays on I-15. leaving early in the AM might handle that.

taking US 89 east from I-15 to I-84 could be an option except 89 is closed to thru traffic in two places. taking UT193 east from I-15 to US89 north is another option since the 193/89 junction is north of 89 closures but the 193/I-15 junction is north of the I-15 construction zone.

so my questions are...

- how bad is the road constr. traffic on NB I-215/I-15 in the morning? looking at the UT DOT traffic cams in the morning seem to show it's not that bad.

- what kind of road is UT193 and US89 north of the 193 junction? appropriate for our RV? we're in a 40' gasser towing a jeep suv...~55-ft overall/13-tons.

everything being equal Google says the climb on 80 from the KOA to the I-84/I-80 junction is 63-min. my plan is about 10-min longer. but my speed making the climb will surely be slower than my plan unless the construction zone slows us down considerably. so i'd rather avoid the climb even if it doesn't save any appreciable time.

thanks for the info on the I-15NB exit to I-84EB. none of the maps including the UT DOT map clearly show it. over the years we've occasionally run across instances where there is no exit ramp from one interstate to another.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:46 PM   #4

I'd take I-80 from the KOA to Laramie and just go - 392 miles

You're heading out of Salt Lake City so morning traffic won't be bad. I think you're over-thinking this.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:51 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
we're heading back to IL from CA via I-80. we'll be comimg east on 80 to SLC from Elko,NV, overnighting at the SLC KOA and heading the next morning to Laramie WY. i know i CAN make the EB climb on I-80 i'm just choosing not to unless no other viable option. so my plan is to head north in the morning on I-215/I-15 from the KOA to EB I-84 at Riverdale (~30 miles) and then follow I-84 to EB I-80 at Echo, UT (~40-mi). my concern is the construction and delays on I-15. leaving early in the AM might handle that.

taking US 89 east from I-15 to I-84 could be an option except 89 is closed to thru traffic in two places. taking UT193 east from I-15 to US89 north is another option since the 193/89 junction is north of 89 closures but the 193/I-15 junction is north of the I-15 construction zone.

so my questions are...

- how bad is the road constr. traffic on NB I-215/I-15 in the morning? looking at the UT DOT traffic cams in the morning seem to show it's not that bad.

- what kind of road is UT193 and US89 north of the 193 junction? appropriate for our RV? we're in a 40' gasser towing a jeep suv...~55-ft overall/13-tons.

everything being equal Google says the climb on 80 from the KOA to the I-84/I-80 junction is 63-min. my plan is about 10-min longer. but my speed making the climb will surely be slower than my plan unless the construction zone slows us down considerably. so i'd rather avoid the climb even if it doesn't save any appreciable time.

thanks for the info on the I-15NB exit to I-84EB. none of the maps including the UT DOT map clearly show it. over the years we've occasionally run across instances where there is no exit ramp from one interstate to another.
OK, the fact that you are coming across Northern Nevada into Utah now makes more sense. Leaving the KOA going north on either 215 or 15 is about an equal crap shoot. Keep in mind that 215 is basically a loop to handle 80 - 15 -84 Airport and industrial traffic. 15 is the through route. In the morning 215 can be jammed. I would check google maps in the morning to decide if you want to go around on 215 or north on 15. It will show the traffic.

If you take 215 north past the airport make sure you follow the bypass that takes you over to 15. You do not want to end up on the road that goes past the nature preserve. If you go all the way up 15 to 84, I believe what it does is takes you off 15 onto Utah 26, about 1 mile over to 84. With the trucks we always took 89 off 15. It is pretty much 4 lane but unlike the interstate, you do have some traffic entering and exiting from side roads. Two or three traffic lights but you also have a couple cutting across 26 to 84. The 89/84 interchange is good but slow. From 89 onto 84 you pretty much start uphill, through the canyon. It is as steep as 80 but much much shorter. There are pull offs through there where trucks stop and chain up in the winter. 193 is not an issue. It the feeder to the AF base. It's an interstate type exchange so you won't even know it is there.

84 is good road until you get into the canyon. Then it's a little windy and twisty. It's a beautiful drive through the canyon, unlike 80 where you just climb into nowhere.

No matter which route you decide, just plan some extra time and be patient. SLC can be stop and go or you can blow through it at highway speeds. And there seems to be no hard and fast rule as to why at any given time.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:02 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I'd take I-80 from the KOA to Laramie and just go - 392 miles

You're heading out of Salt Lake City so morning traffic won't be bad. I think you're over-thinking this.
I tend to agree. Coming out of the KOA onto 80 you are just about out of town. Yup. Hill to climb, but going up 15 to 84 and through the canyon, lot of city traffic.

If he wants to do it to save the hill. I did give him what we always felt were the best ways coming out of there with the semi.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:42 PM   #7

Having lived in SLC for 15 years, I have taken all of the routes mentioned.

If it were me, coming up I-15 from the south, I would jump off I-15 at Provo Canyon (189) and take it up to I-80.

189 is a very nice road and easy climb. (Recently repaved and 4 lane most of the way)

There is a very nice RV park in Heber, Mountain Valley RV Park https://mountainvalleyrv.com/

You will skip all the traffic in SLC/Ogden. You would actually enjoy the ride, instead of stressing and fighting traffic.

Good luck.
KF7DAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF7DAJ View Post
Having lived in SLC for 15 years, I have taken all of the routes mentioned.

If it were me, coming up I-15 from the south, I would jump off I-15 at Provo Canyon (189) and take it up to I-80.

189 is a very nice road and easy climb. (Recently repaved and 4 lane most of the way)

There is a very nice RV park in Heber, Mountain Valley RV Park https://mountainvalleyrv.com/

You will skip all the traffic in SLC/Ogden. You would actually enjoy the ride, instead of stressing and fighting traffic.

Good luck.
thanks but we’ll be coming into SLC from the west on 80. staying at the KOA.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:22 PM   #9

Quote:
thanks but we’ll be coming into SLC from the west on 80. staying at the KOA.
Sorry, I thought you were coming up from the south. Personally, I would take my coach up Parleys Canyon (I-80) and skip the long drive up north. (I-15 to I-84) it is a little steep at the summit, but not too bad. I is not any worse than I-80 over Donner Pass. (I believe they are very similar elevation)
KF7DAJ is offline   Reply With Quote