Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #1

Dallas to Aspen

We will pull our MPG185 with our GMC Sierra 1/2 ton 4x4 this summer and are considering going Independence Pass in Sept. Are there any issues or warnings for this route from Colorado Springs to Aspen?
txswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2013, 12:29 AM   #2

I suggest you read the entry for Independence Pass in Mountain West Directory West for Trucks, RV, or Motorhome Drivers ... available from Amazon.com or the publisher at 1-785-594-4054

I waited too long to buy my copy ... I suggest you order one today.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp
I suggest you read the entry for Independence Pass in Mountain West Directory West for Trucks, RV, or Motorhome Drivers ... available from Amazon.com or the publisher at 1-785-594-4054

I waited too long to buy my copy ... I suggest you order one today.
Yep. And don't fret that the latest edition was published in 2006.The mountains and roads have not changed in many years.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
Community Administrator

I just looked at the Mountain West Directory. That pass Is 12,095' and vehicles over 35' are prohibited. EEK. Full of 15 mph hairpin turns on 6% grade , Westbound. The Eastbound is more fun with 10 mph hairpin turns.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall
I just looked at the Mountain West Directory. That pass Is 12,095' and vehicles over 35' are prohibited. EEK. Full of 15 mph hairpin turns on 6% grade , Westbound. The Eastbound is more fun with 10 mph hairpin turns.
These two guides are invaluable. If you don't have them and do any mountain state traveling you will hopefully live to regret it. They are also fun to read then google earth etc while enjoying the adult beverage of choice. Also - use well ahead of time in planning your travels. You can find yourself backtracking a good ways to a rig appropriate route. Nothing worse than getting part way up or down a route and deciding to turn around and go back. Lots of times that's not possible and you are committed or should be. Spend the time and money. You'll be glad you did.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
As a guy who grew up and learned to drive in the pool table state, better known as the sunshine state, the thought of driving on large, steep HILLS scares the poo outa me. I am big-time leery about actual mountains.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:53 AM   #7

Heartland RV Club
Okay - super brand newbie here...

If you have never towed a TT before, how do you know ahead of time what kind of climb and grade your tow vehicle can handle?

I'm planning to set out this summer from New Orleans to Seattle, and had hoped to include a lot of the mountains west area.

I'll be pulling a MPG 183 with a 2010 5.3L V8 Suburban 2wd 1500 with a 3.08 rear axle
johnmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #8

John ...

There are several factors that make mountain driving tough
  1. the steepness of incline or decline
  2. the length of the incline or decline
  3. sharpness of curves
  4. narrowness of diriving lanes
  5. your fear of "going over the edge"
Going uphill will tax the engine, transmission, and cooling system.

Going downhill is the dangerous part of mountain driving. Keeping your speed under control is the challenge ... at the top manually shift down to the lowest gear that you used going UP ... and when you apply the brakes do it with brief but strong stabs ... DO NOT RIDE YOUR BRAKES

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland