Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2020, 01:37 AM   #1

DC to El Paso - fastest route?

Hi There,
Making a trip by car from DC to El Paso and I'd like to do it in the quickest time possible. Which of these routes would you say is the more favorable for speeding i.e. avoiding cops?
1) Highways 66/81/40/30/20/10 or MD, WV, KY, IL, IN, MO, OK, North TX, NM
2) Highways 70/68/79/64/44/40/54 or VA, TN, AR, Middle TX
Thanks!
MGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2020, 07:22 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
interesting question - what are you driving? The only states that stand out in my mind for heavy law enforcement presence are Ohio and Texas. But I never have to worry about that because I’m never the fastest vehicle out there, by far.

If I need to get somewhere fast, I head to the airport. You can also make better time on the road driving more or less around the clock, taking 3-4 hour sleep breaks a couple times each day. Doesn't matter when but most humans do better sleeping at night.

Driving fast will probably wear you out more than driving longer days and it certainly uses a lot more fuel. You can make safety arguments against both. And of course a traffic stop will impact your schedule among other things.

The reason they do that, for the most part, is to maintain safety on the highways. Not to annoy you or pad the budget. So it makes sense to consider that along the way. Witness a few grinders and you might decide it’s better to budget more time for the trip, save the fuel, allow you to pay attention to the road and not where the cops are, and leave law enforcement to concentrate on other things.

Right now there’s a wreck on 81 near Roanoke - wonder how that happened...
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:09 AM   #3

Keep in mind we are going into winter and depending on the weather on your travel dates a more southern route may be needed. Once you get to Texas, my suggestion is get on I-20 until it merges with I-10, this might mean I-30, I-20, I-10 across Texas
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:24 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
And to your benefit, the speed limits outside the metropolitan areas in Texas on the interstates are 75-80mph.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGump View Post
Hi There,
Making a trip by car from DC to El Paso and I'd like to do it in the quickest time possible. Which of these routes would you say is the more favorable for speeding i.e. avoiding cops?
Thanks!
so you want the members of this forum to assist you in breaking the law and putting lives in jeopardy..do i have that right? troll.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Hi There,
Thanks!
Have no real idea as to what will work best for you.

Waze - https://www.waze.com/apps - is the travel system/along with the maps/paper - will give you traffic and legal warnings that will keep you honest - We just drove the Toad back from Joplin, MO with many interstates and generally we used cruise control at 9 over with no issue.

Cities are an Issue along with construction - so plan your timing to avoid - we found that the Truck traffic was generally pegged at 76mph (6 over) and auto was at 9-10 over on all the I's

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:15 PM   #7

Quote:
It seems this is your first post on a RV site. Since you're traveling by car and want to break laws you might want to find another site.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
It seems this is your first post on a RV site. Since you're traveling by car and want to break laws you might want to find another site.
Yup. Because no one with an RV would live contrary to laws because they can afford to do so.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:04 PM   #9

I like route #2. Look at the weather and it may need to start off on 95 and go west at some point further south. That is how I run in bad weather.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route, test