RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #1

Delaware - Approach from N or S?

We will be camping at the Delaware Seashore State Park in late July. Right now we’re camped almost due west in the middle of West Virginia.

Looking at the map, it appears I have a choice of going through Washington DC to cross Chesapeake Bay or going south and crossing at Norfolk.

I’ve driven these roads before, but years ago and not pulling a 34’ 5th wheel camper.

I’m planning our approach and would appreciate any advice on which way to go. Thanks!

heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
i wouldn’t drive through DC unless I had to. The last few times I’ve driven north on the east coast I’ve headed inland a ways to avoid the major cities along 95. So I’d vote for Norfolk knowing nothing about it.

R.Wold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Heading from Norfolk you'll have the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (toll). Driving 95 thru DC then across the great views from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (toll). If you don't mind tunnels under water, that's much better than DC traffic. Of course, for me, a dull dirty stick in the eye is more enjoyable than DC traffic.
dbircky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:21 AM   #4

You don't need to touch DC on the way to Delaware.

Not sure exactly where you are in WV but you can take I79 north to I68. East to I70 east towards Baltimore. Several options but easiest is to Rt100 east to I97 south to Rt50. East over Bay Bridge to Rt404. East to Delaware.

Probably shortest and quickest route, depending on where you currently are.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:07 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post

Not sure exactly where you are in WV but you can take I79 north to I68. East to I70 east towards Baltimore. Several options but easiest is to Rt100 east to I97 south to Rt50. East over Bay Bridge to Rt404. East to Delaware.

And if you do that you go right by the Vanderwende Farm Creamery and Farmer Gene’s Market I spent some time looking at the Norfolk route and it does look like a lot of extra slow driving. Worth it if you have the time and don’t mind the extra miles, but definitely longer - two hours longer by google maps so maybe no big deal but you never know what you’ll run in to. I’m just really tired of transiting the big east coast cities with their heavy traffic, bad drivers, and beat up road surfaces.
R.Wold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:33 PM   #6

Quote:

I think this is the way to go. It's a long haul to Norfolk, then creeping up route 13 after dealing with the bridge/tunnel complex.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:23 PM   #7

Rt70 to 695 north beltway to I95 north cross Delaware state line 1st exit rt 896 south to rt1 south to Delaware beaches.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:33 PM   #8

Quote:

This is easy and works - have done it often.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:57 PM   #9

Update, I took my rig yesterday down I97 to RT 50, across the Bay Bridge and continued on Rt. 50 past the turnoff for Rt 404 to Delaware. Came back today.

The Sate of Maryland has removed most of the toll booths at the Bay Bridge. This has eliminated most of the traffic delays the Bridge has been know for during the spring and summer travel. Once we got past the outlets on Rt. 50 (near Grasonville), traffic built up significantly. I believe that the Bridge used to spread out traffic. Now that it flows right through, the traffic now bunches up at the traffic lights on Rt. 50. Eastbound traffic was about the same on our return trip this afternoon.

It's still a pretty pleasant drive (in the Land of Pleasant Living). It's about 35 miles shorter than the I95 to Rt. 1 route through northern Delaware and a lot less expensive toll wise.

Will be heading to South Bethany, DE tomorrow by car. If anything significant changes, I'll post another update.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:52 AM   #10

Thanks everyone. We moved from WV back into VA and are currently at Endless Caverns Campground for a week with 2 more weeks to kill before we have to move on to Delaware.

I was looking for a place between where we are now and where we're going, but am coming to the conclusion that maybe we should just stay here for 3 weeks and then make the drive in one day. This is what Google Maps suggests to me. The route with the blue line seems to match some of the advice I'm getting above.

At 5 hours (which we know will probably turn into 7 hours towing) it's at the upper limit of what I like to drive in one day, but it's doable. If anyone has any modifications to suggest, please do.

heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #11

Skippy,

It all depends on what day and time of day you are going to do this. Monday thru Thursday, hitting DC after 10am would, IMO, give you the best trip with least traffic. I would also take the lower route on your map. It's shorter and the northern beltway around DC should not be too bad.

I'm down here in Delaware right now. Starting Friday, all beach bars will be closed again (don't know why it's announced as just beach bars). Too many young folks partying without masks and close up. We just received notice that our local community boat parade for the 4th is now canceled because of concern that, since there is nothing else allowed to happen, everyone would come stand at the end of the canals to watch the parade. Yikes!

There really isn't any place worth stopping at between start and finish but, if needed, there is a Cracker Barrrel just on the eastern side of the Bay Bridge. Probably will be too hot to boondock though.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:48 AM   #12

There are many campgrounds about half way, Williamsburg ,Bethpage, Chesapeake, about 4hr drive then head up to Bay Bridge rt 50 or south to Bay Bridge Tunnel and on to Delaware ,enjoy the trip .
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:05 AM   #13

I am based on the Eastern Shore so dealing with routes & traffic around Baltimore, Washington & Wilmington is an every trip challenge.

Best route is as described by WorldCat25 & displayed by heySkippy. Taking this route you go right past what we consider our 'home' CG, Martinak SP, Denton, MD just off the 404.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle Drifter View Post

Best route is as described by WorldCat25 & displayed by heySkippy. Taking this route you go right past what we consider our 'home' CG, Martinak SP, Denton, MD just off the 404.
Drifter,

I never knew Martinak was so close to Denton (I go by there about 20 times per year.) I notice that there are some spots with 30amp so that would work good for a summer overnight.