RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2020, 08:59 AM   #1

Denver to Boston - I-70 or 80?

We are heading from Denver to Boston in our Super C - we are looking for input on the conditions of each interstate to make our decision - specifically we would like the smoothest roads as to avoid losing parts of our RV along the route! Our ride in our Super C is not as smooth as our Diesel Pusher was. We would also like to avoid as many tolls as possible - any opinions out there?
ColoradoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 09:36 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
One aspect to keep in consideration about tolls: it's sometimes more expensive to burn the fuel to avoid the tolls than to just pay them to reduce your travel time and distance.

I've done both routes plenty of times including the 80 route last June.

80 and 70 both have their stretches of bad road surface. Seems 80 in OH where you're paying a toll is some on the worst for road joints.

80: have to go through Chicago/Gary area, tolls in IL, IN, OH
70: have to go through KC and ST L areas, about an hour longer in travel

On Google Maps, the 80 route swings you up to Buffalo and then across NY on the Thruway (toll) and Mass Turnpike (toll).

If you take 80 to 81 to 84, I would definitely turn onto 87 (NY Thruway, toll) to right before Albany and cut over to the Mass Turnpike to avoid the traffic on Westchester County NJ and CT.

You should go online and invest in a EZpass to get a toll discount and allow you to quickly go through the tolls. It's good from IL all the way to Mass. Nothing burns fuel like coming to a dead stop at a toll booth and then having to accelerate back to speed.

Safe travels!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Used 70 St Louis to almost Denver in July... road in pretty good condition. 80 also but only to Lincoln NE... good too.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:04 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
80 in IN & OH is expensive and bumpy. I would take 70 to 71 to 80 near the PA line (no tolls) then 80 to 81N to 84 at Scranton. In NY 84 has a toll at the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge (about $10 for our 5 axles) to 90 (MA Pike) the toll on 90 should be around $5 (I never take it all the way to Boston)
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #5

Just drove both last week, 80 there and it was expensive and 70 back. 70 was longer but less stressful. We were in a rented car not the moho.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:04 PM   #6

Thank you!
ColoradoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #7

If you want to avoid the Indiana toll completely and some of the Ohio toll you can shoot up I-94 into Michigan and then take exit 180 I think, US-23 (expressway) south to I-475 in Toledo. It's about 80 to 100 miles out of your way so it may not be worth it but it's your call. I just hate toll roads, especially when they are privately owned like the one in Indiana.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoJohn View Post
We are heading from Denver to Boston in our Super C - we are looking for input on the conditions of each interstate to make our decision - specifically we would like the smoothest roads as to avoid losing parts of our RV along the route! Our ride in our Super C is not as smooth as our Diesel Pusher was. We would also like to avoid as many tolls as possible - any opinions out there?
Let me suggest the route we take - I-70 then we slip up to RT 36 across Kansa and Missouri towards Champaign, NOW you are in trouble - No way from Here to where you want to go that you might enjoy the drive. Honest - the Roads Su*k - Sorry but True. Actually once you cross the Mississippi you are pretty much in for a world of Hurt!!

On our return trip this summer we slipped south into Tennessee and West Virginia - Tennessee was not too Bad and West Virginia I-64 was better than I-I-O interstates.

We have tried Back roads - Country roads - any and everything and have determined that most of the East is just plain and simple - Broke - they raise taxes and who knows what they do with the Money - Look a PA - second highest Gas Tax in the Country - I avoid that state like Covid - - the Roads are the Worst. Well New York is likely worst in the Country.

If there is one thing that this country needs it and Infrastructure Bill that focus's on the Highways - at Every Level - Interstate - State - Local - the highways are in serious trouble.

JMHO,

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote