Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #1

Diesel - Canadian route East

OK, so I've done this trip MANY times:

Winnipeg - Thunder Bay - WaWa - S.S. Marie - North Bay - Ottawa - Montreal - Reverie-du-Loupe - Moncton - Amherst NS.

I think I know most of the skunks and porcupines on the route BUT next year (2018) we will be driving a MUCH larger trailer (34' Fifth) and a diesel truck.

So knowing the limiting factor in refueling is the ridiculously small fuel tank (96 liters / 25 US gallons) and leaving a safety margin my effective range is (1/3 tank as safety margin) 150 - 175 miles (240 - 280 km) at average 10 miles / gallon. (I'm old school and still think in mpg).

SOOOOooooo at last the question(s) .... I have good options within that parameter until I get to

MATTAWA ONTARIO - Basecamp ID's 3 Fuel locations (verified by Google Earth) .... looking at ground level none seem capable of navigating in a 45 foot long rig.

ARNPRIOR ONTARIO - Shell I've used before - but now seems to tight.

RIGAUD QUEBEC - no good options I can see.

ST FLAVIN QUEBEC ** OR AREA - no good options I can see.

St-Alexandre-de-Kamouraska QUEBEC ** OR AREA - no good options I can see.

The rest of the trip seems OK ...... I've checked all resources that I can think of (the best resource is Google Earth), many Truck / Flying J stops when viewed at street level or Google Earth (overhead) seem OK for Semi's but the area for cars / trucks is not usable.

BTW - really ... really ..... really don't want to play with the big boys ....
CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2017, 02:30 PM   #2

Two friends here in the USA , at my winter residence , sent NASTY GRAMS to Ford about the fuel tank size , then opted to have after market fuel tanks installed to cure the issue .
Kind of sad that you need to stop for fuel before your ready for lunch or any other break.
Or shell out the big $$$, to deal with an issue that shouldn't exist in the first place.
Guess Ford needed the small tank to keep their , payload numbers in line with other truck manufacturers .
Old 10-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Is there a future tank upgrade possible? I traded out my ridiculously small 26 gallon to a 51 gallon underbed fuel tank on my 2008 F350 CC SRW short box. Titan tanks. I could only go about 150 mile on the OEM tank, then about 300-350 mile with the larger Titan tank.

Just drove that route with a 135 gallon motorhome, but filled up daily as we were with a couple of diesel trucks/Rvs with a max 250 mile pull. I'm 60 feet with TOAD and we were able to find suitable refuelling, even with 5 rigs and not always at truck stops. Most refuelling along major routes are good these days.

My Garmin has "up-ahead" which picks out fuel along my active route, and can map location relative to active route. I used it often to make sure the fuel was easy in easy out - i.e. right hand off ramp and easy merge back onto route. You can always drive by and continue on the way if refuelling station is too tight.

My thoughts.

You will get good at quickly judging available space. Fortunately with a 5ver you "can" back up if you need to; not so much with a TOAD.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:52 PM   #4

I tow a fifth wheel with a Chevy dually and have a 100 gal aux tank in the truck bed. The aux tank is not cheap, around $1200 new or you might find a used on CL. This gives me a 1200-1400 mile trip range so I rarely need to stop for fuel during any trip. I can also save $20/50 by filling up in cheap fuel areas and blowing past the expensive fuel states. I really like not thinking about fuel on a trip, I still do stop often, but it is where I want to stop rather than looking for a fuel stop.

I have the pump feed system.

https://www.theduallydepot.com/auxiliary-fuel-tanks
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel