Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2017, 09:52 AM   #1

Driving Arkansas to Washington state

We will be driving our 32 foot class A and a uhaul truck on this trip early May. Any suggestions on best route to avoid big elevation changes? We are new to RVing and going down steep grades is scary to us!
austibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by austibe View Post
We will be driving our 32 foot class A and a uhaul truck on this trip early May. Any suggestions on best route to avoid big elevation changes? We are new to RVing and going down steep grades is scary to us!
I don't know of any route northwest that will avoid major elevation changes. You have the Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, and Nevada mountains to cross. The major interstates will generally have less drastic elevation changes that are not as steep as minor highways might have but will have longer grades. We drove I90 across Wyoming and Idaho a few years ago in our gas rig and it was doable.

When going down the grades, generally use the same gear (manually gear down) that you went up in. Use the engine to keep the speed down and as speed starts building use stab braking (short, hard applications of the brakes) to keep the speed controlled. Do not ride the brakes!!! It's easier to keep the speed down than to let it get away from you then try to slow down.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Least amount of steep driving will be I-70 to Denver, then I-25 to Cheyenne Wy. Then I-80 to Salt Lake city, Then I-15 to I-84. You didn't mention your destination, but this is the least mountainous route.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I-80 thru Wyoming can get reeeaaaally windy, like blow over your motorhome windy. And it's oppressively ugly and boring. I drove it for work from SLC to Cheyenne, and if I ever drive it again, I hope I'm in a coffin, that's the only way it could be enjoyable. However, I 70 thru Colorado is much more scenic. Both 80 and 70 have some big hills, but I believe the only way to minimize the big hills it to go a very southern route to I-5 then head north, and then you got Shasta, which is a really big and beautiful mountain. But then you have to drive the long way thru California, which is a giant mess of poorly maintained roads, horrible signage, and drivers who really should be walking. If I never set foot in California, that would be good. I'd do 70 to Green River, Utah, US-191 to I-15/84 towards the Great NW What part of WA we talking, Seattle or Spokane or somewhere in-between?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
If you take I 84 through Idaho and into Oregon then you have to go down Emigrant Hill or commonly called Cabbage Hill. This can be a bad hill to come down and then into Pendleton, OR. Look up Cabbage Hill on the net and see what they have to say about it. There is just no way you are going to avoid any passes or higher elevation going to the Washington from Arkansas without going down some passes.

I lived in Montana for years (in fact born and raised there) and now live in Arkansas but travel to the NW most years. The main thing is don't start the downhill side with to much speed. When I get to the top I slow down even slower than I came up and gear down then take it easy down and don't let your speed get away from you. Also don't ride your brakes instead let it go up a little in speed and then step on the brakes harder and bring down your speed to lower than you were and then get off the brakes and let them cool back down before repeating this procedure.

There is no reason to be avoid going just take your time. If you every want to go to the western states you are going to be greeted with some steep hills that you have to negotiate on the way.
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I-80 thru Wyoming can get reeeaaaally windy, like blow over your motorhome windy. And it's oppressively ugly and boring. I drove it for work from SLC to Cheyenne, and if I ever drive it again, I hope I'm in a coffin, that's the only way it could be enjoyable. However, I 70 thru Colorado is much more scenic. Both 80 and 70 have some big hills, but I believe the only way to minimize the big hills it to go a very southern route to I-5 then head north, and then you got Shasta, which is a really big and beautiful mountain. But then you have to drive the long way thru California, which is a giant mess of poorly maintained roads, horrible signage, and drivers who really should be walking. If I never set foot in California, that would be good. I'd do 70 to Green River, Utah, US-191 to I-15/84 towards the Great NW What part of WA we talking, Seattle or Spokane or somewhere in-between?

Olympia. Good advice Thanks
Old 04-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch50 View Post
If you take I 84 through Idaho and into Oregon then you have to go down Emigrant Hill or commonly called Cabbage Hill. This can be a bad hill to come down and then into Pendleton, OR. Look up Cabbage Hill on the net and see what they have to say about it. There is just no way you are going to avoid any passes or higher elevation going to the Washington from Arkansas without going down some passes.

I lived in Montana for years (in fact born and raised there) and now live in Arkansas but travel to the NW most years. The main thing is don't start the downhill side with to much speed. When I get to the top I slow down even slower than I came up and gear down then take it easy down and don't let your speed get away from you. Also don't ride your brakes instead let it go up a little in speed and then step on the brakes harder and bring down your speed to lower than you were and then get off the brakes and let them cool back down before repeating this procedure.

There is no reason to be avoid going just take your time. If you every want to go to the western states you are going to be greeted with some steep hills that you have to negotiate on the way.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2017, 05:02 PM   #8

If it were me and it was my first trip out here, and time would allow, I would be looking for all the places I wanted to visit.

As others have said the only way to get there is by going across the Rockies so going up and down is unavoidable. On the other hand many others have done it without incident. We have made 30+ trips between OR (where we live now) and WV (where we grew up) without incident. Again as others have said, use lower gears to manage downhill speed and use brakes sparingly. If you find you are using them too much drop down another gear. Western hills are no different than Eastern hills, some are just higher.

Our fastest way from OR to WV has always been (going East) I-80 to Cheyenne, I-25 to Denver, and I-70 to WV. It is sometimes windy, but has never been a serious problem for us. Denver is a real PITA to drive through when it is busy.

Have a wonderful trip!

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:58 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We did the opposite route last fall ... traveled to Alberta and then returned via Vancouver, Washington and a 2 week visit in Oregon. Same (reverse) route as TonyDi suggested ... certainly the least elevation. Wind on I80 in Wyoming did necessitate an overnight stay (boondocking) in a small town ... wind warnings were "up to 90mph". If your goal is to "get there" rather than sightseeing (to minimize uhaul charges), Tonys route is it.
PeteandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:54 AM   #10

I40 to I5 is the least hilly route. Long way around but nice scenery for a fairly flat trip. Just remember to look for the sign a the California border that says "Welcome to California, Camp grounds Full".
fergy1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:14 AM   #11

We drove From Washington to Florida recently, and last year from Florida to Mi then over to Wa. You cannot avoid the passes, whichever route you take. Just take your time and go easy. I usually follow the truck drivers and do what they do. They drive these routes all the time. For our return trip from Washington to Florida we purchased Mountain Directory for truckers. This gave us a heads up about the grades and what to expect. I do not work for this company, or know them, I just used their product an found it very helpful.
Safe travels!

Mountain Directory for Truckers, RV, and Motorhome Drivers
meddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by austibe View Post
Not much info to give you answers to,

look over this map for options,

https://binged.it/2opH7u3

Routes through the Rockies are shorter but will have up and downs, route through the South and California might have fewer mountains but would be longer and TRAFFIC.

So pick your Poison.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:20 AM   #13

A few years ago we went from OR to Birmingham,AL to visit my sister and daughter on our way to WV. Our route was 80 to Cheyenne, 25 to Denver, 70 to Salina, KS, 135/35 to Oklahoma City, and 40 to Little Rock. That was a good route and I would do it again. For you it would be in the reverse. There are a few hills, mostly in WY, but IMHO not bad. Just slow down, and drop down a gear or two or three?

Instead of going into SLC, I would follow 80 until you get to the intersection of 84 (actually 84/15) between Evanston, WY and SLC. I-80 for several miles before getting to SLC is a serious hill. I-84 will take you to Portland, OR then 205 to I-5 then north to Olympia. I-205 bi-pass will keep you out of much of the Portland traffic. I-84 also goes through the Columbia Gorge which is a scenic area with Multnomah Falls near the interstate on the left. It has been a long time since we traveled 84 beyond The Dalles and Ontario so I don't remember much about that part of it.

There have been a few posts on here about the western end of 40 having potholes, but it's been a good many years since we've traveled that part of it. Also, IMHO, I-5 or 99 through CA are not the smoothest roads in the world. There are some hills between Redding, CA and Roseburg, OR, on 5, but it is a scenic drive.

If you decide to go through Denver, a poster on another thread suggested using hwy 79 N from Bennett and hwy 52 W to get from 70 to 25 and bi-passing much of the Denver traffic. I haven't tried that yet, but will probably do so this Summer.

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:43 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Take a look at this.

You can change the departure point as needed and re-run it. Pretty much as TonyMac suggested but it wants to short cut SW of Cheyanne WO so you can adjust as you wish.

You can also use this site to break down the route into smaller segments and get better "fidelity" for the grade charts.

LIKE THIS
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arkansas