Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Driving in North Georgia without going into the hills

We found a way to get into some very nice RV areas in North Georgia, without having to drive over the North Georgia hills on the two roads. Checkout your map or Google Maps and you will find a four lane I-575 North out of Atlanta, GA. This will take you through Blairsville, GA into young Harris and then into Hiawassee this is four lane open roadway. But after Hiawassee on 76 I DO NOT know how open and safe that part of the road is. Just outside of Young Harris you will find an RV parts center. Nice to know should have a need for a part, you can then find a nice RV park not far off I-575 main road. Then once your RV is parked you can take the car and explorer the North Georida back roads and hills. Like Brasstown Bald the highest point in North Georgia. Now one very importent point DO NOT DRIVE YOUR RV (MOTORHOME) onto 76, 129, 180 unless you have checked out that part of the roadway first or east past Hiawassee. I do not know how open that part of the roadway (76) is. But I-575 will get you into some wonderful hill country safely, But after Hiawassee heading east I am not sure how open that part of the road is.
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
Dog, are you talking about 129 from Gainesville, Ga to Blairsville? (up through Cleveland?) That is not a problem - tractor trailers do it all the time. We have done it numerous times. It is a little curvy going up Blood Mountain to the AT crossing, but doable none-the-less. Down the other side by Vogel and into Blairsville is OK as well, again a few curves is all.
From Blairsville over to Hiawassee it a piece of cake. Same with road from Hiawassee back over to Clayton.
Now 129 in NC across the Dragon is a no-no, but the other part of US 129 is fine. You have just been used to the flat roads and love bugs in Florida too long.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
180 is a sure no go, it's tight on my sportbike!

60 isn't bad if necessary. While in the area take 5 north a bit and stop in at Merciers Orchard. Best fried pie you'll put in your mouth.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote