Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2022, 10:38 PM   #57

I was a local Atlanta truck driver. I would use 511 to determine the best route from North of ATL to South of ATL. Dial 511 and follow prompts for I-75s straight through COMPARED to prompts from I-75s to I-285 SOUTH(westside of town) back to I-75s.
wgjr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2022, 04:02 AM   #58

Unfortunately, I lived in ATL for far too long and the traffic was impossible then. Now it seems to have exploded exponentially. I avoid that city like the plague. If I'm going anywhere north or northeast (from Florida) I plan my trip around it. It's that simple. Avoid it.
Danj2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:20 AM   #59

Check the weather for Sunday the 16th, think snowmageddon. Lol. We always go straight through on 75 on North to South trips and 85 on East to West trips. We avoid 285 like the plague, and we travel through on a fairly regular basis.
Andy&Sherrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:44 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeman View Post
I've been searching and reading posts about diving RV's through Atlanta GA for an hour now. Lots of good info and lots of frightened drivers! I have driven I-75 and I-285 through/around Atlanta in a car and on a motorcycle many times and I am familiar with the challenges. This year we will be headed from Michigan to Florida in about a week and for the first time I will be driving a 30' class A motor home towing a car. New challenges. I am not worried enough about the drive to find an alternate route that totally avoids Atlanta, especially in January, so I am committed to I-75 and/or I-285. On our way down we are staying a few nights near Cleveland TN, which is about 2 hours north of Atlanta. We have purposely timed our trip to encounter Atlanta on Sunday morning, which I feel is probably the least worst time to go straight through on I-75. Our departure time from Cleveland on Sunday morning is flexible and I am just asking for any info/suggestions/opinions/ about the timing. We could leave Cleveland at 8am, or 9am, or 10am if it could make a significant difference in Sunday morning traffic in Atlanta. I am thinking it probably won't make much difference, but would like to hear from others on the subject. I am also open to taking I-285 around Atlanta (avoiding those pesky lane changes downtown) if that might make a significant difference in my stress level too. Thanks in advance for any help.
-Ken

PS:Can we legally use HOV lanes with our rig (two of us)? Should we?
Vibeman I live in Atlanta. I haven't searched all five pages of responses but did note you are planning to come through Atlanta this weekend. Absent weather, coming through early Sunday morning is your best bet. Do not take 285 as there is significant construction on both 285 east and west, particularly east at the intersection of 285 and 400. While they won't be working on Sunday, the lanes are narrow and shift back and forth. take 75 straight through downtown and just be patient.

More importantly however is the forecast for this weekend. The forecast this Sunday early morning is for ice and snow. If you know anything about snow in the South it paralyzes this city. Be sure to check the weather before attempting to transit 75 and probably will impact you in Tennessee.

Good luck
rboozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:18 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Been through Atlanta many times as well as Dallas/Ft worth. As in all high traffic areas pick a lane. run about 55 or 60 and and stay there. Stay way behind traffic in front Sing Amazing Grace and listen to your Garmin, no problem.
Aganit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:14 AM   #62

Ford Super Duty Owner
Pensacola to Ahseville, NC

Does anyone have a way around Atlanta coming from the southwest [Pensacola] to the northeast [Asheville, NC]?

The map shows about 50 extra miles to bypass ATL by exiting I-85 north of LaGrange onto GA-16 east bound, then join US-441 at Eatonton & go north to rejoin I-85 at Commerce.

We will be going in a car next week, then with the RV a week later. We've gone through ATL at least 6 times and only once were we able to go straight through. Usually we experienced delays of 1-2 hours.

Thanks for any info.

Dave
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:03 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswelld View Post
Does anyone have a way around Atlanta coming from the southwest [Pensacola] to the northeast [Asheville, NC]?

The map shows about 50 extra miles to bypass ATL by exiting I-85 north of LaGrange onto GA-16 east bound, then join US-441 at Eatonton & go north to rejoin I-85 at Commerce.

We will be going in a car next week, then with the RV a week later. We've gone through ATL at least 6 times and only once were we able to go straight through. Usually we experienced delays of 1-2 hours.

Thanks for any info.

Dave
Just use 285. Either drive 85 mph in the left lane or 55 mph in the right lanes
Razorback 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:08 PM   #64

Lagrange > Newnan South > Eatonton > Commerce is the way I've done it several times. Just a bit slow through the towns. Tremendously saves the nerves. There's Ingles Supermarkets at Monticello and Eatonton with big parking lots good for breaks.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:01 PM   #65

My wife, the navigator and trip planner, always seems to plan so that our travel through the Atlanta area occurs during rush hour. It is never fun but it can be exciting. My take on this, although others may disagree, is that big trucks are your friends. While there are some bad truck drivers, the majority of truck drivers are pretty professional and good at what they do. They understand the challenge of driving a larger vehicle in heavy traffic and for the most part they are willing to help you when you need to change lanes or get around something in traffic. As RV drivers we need to be appreciative of their help and be courteous to them in return when they are trying to maneuver their larger vehicle.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:16 PM   #66

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, thanks everyone for all the advice and info, it really helps to hear what others think. Due to the impending storm this weekend we are staying put in Cleveland TN two more days. We’ll be heading south on Tuesday instead, and probably taking americanrascals Atlanta bypass.
-Ken
Vibeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:22 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeman View Post
I've been searching and reading posts about diving RV's through Atlanta GA for an hour now. Lots of good info and lots of frightened drivers! I have driven I-75 and I-285 through/around Atlanta in a car and on a motorcycle many times and I am familiar with the challenges. This year we will be headed from Michigan to Florida in about a week and for the first time I will be driving a 30' class A motor home towing a car. New challenges. I am not worried enough about the drive to find an alternate route that totally avoids Atlanta, especially in January, so I am committed to I-75 and/or I-285. On our way down we are staying a few nights near Cleveland TN, which is about 2 hours north of Atlanta. We have purposely timed our trip to encounter Atlanta on Sunday morning, which I feel is probably the least worst time to go straight through on I-75. Our departure time from Cleveland on Sunday morning is flexible and I am just asking for any info/suggestions/opinions/ about the timing. We could leave Cleveland at 8am, or 9am, or 10am if it could make a significant difference in Sunday morning traffic in Atlanta. I am thinking it probably won't make much difference, but would like to hear from others on the subject. I am also open to taking I-285 around Atlanta (avoiding those pesky lane changes downtown) if that might make a significant difference in my stress level too. Thanks in advance for any help.
-Ken

PS:Can we legally use HOV lanes with our rig (two of us)? Should we?
I would leave about 5am no later than 6 am to sail through. Good luck
Mgtv53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:54 AM   #68

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Follow-up:
We took the route suggested by Joe a/k/a "Americanrascal” yesterday. It was just like he said, 4 lane, smooth road, and light traffic all the way. Nice scenery most of the way too. We toured the National Infantry Museum when we arrived at Fort Benning then spent the night in Camp David RV resort, only 1/2 mile away. The park was pretty rustic and under construction but was quiet, had full hookups and pull through sites so it was ok for overnight. We are headed to Florida today.
Thanks again Joe!
-Ken
Vibeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:31 AM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So happy you enjoyed the journey Ken! If you use that route again you'll start to find special places along the way that have become favorite stops for us.

Laughingly I sometimes think I ought to keep my mouth shut about the route lest too many folks find out about it and traffic increases. I kinda like riding along by myself on a 4 lane super highway that has grass coming up between the joints! LOL

Hope you didn't connect with any of the frozen stuff along the way. Safe travels.

Joe
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:22 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswelld View Post

Thanks for any info.

Dave
I live south of Newnan off of I-85 and a couple of times a year myself and my travel buddy and his wife take trips to Mt. Pisgah, Balasam Mtn, Cherokee, or Black Rock Mtn in GA. I have ceased using I-285 with the truck and trailer.

Returning from Black Rock Mtn SP on US 23 south of Franklin NC we took US 23 south to Cornelia and had lunch in my trailer and then headed south on US441 toward Commerce, crossing I-85. 441 is a Great road. My buddy lives in Jonesboro so he turned off at Athens and took the Athens bypass to US78 and GA138 home. I took the bypass the other way on 441 to Madison and then took GA83 to Monticello and then GA16 west to Griffin and toward Newnan.

I've never taken the route thru Eatonton as it is longer.

There is a Wal-Mart in Madison with a Chick-fil-A across the street. Good place to stop and eat and get anything you need.

Going up the west side I take US27 or GA100 depending on where I am going.

The only time I would consider going thru ATL is about 2 AM, right thru downtown. Both east and west sides of I285 are way too rough. They have done a bunch of paving on 285 on the east side but alot of it is really bad yet.

This is what my oven door looked like after a trip home via I285S down the east side. I was in the trailer at Clayton GA, again to eat lunch after leaving Balsam Mtn, the oven door was fine. At home I opened the door to this. Yes, the moving quilt is my floor covering. I threw it out with the glass. New door is painted black metal. Stupid to put glass on a door for decoration.