Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2018, 09:53 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
East Bound and Down I-80 Alternatives

Somewhere after Salt Lake City and such I think I might want to drop down and take a off the beaten path yet still head east at a decent pace. Plus avoid Chicago like the plague. Our goal is to wind up in New Hampshire. We will have a full 10 days after leaving Sacramento. So it can't be to far off the beaten path.

Thanks so much for you suggestions..... LeeB

P.S. We will be pulling a 24ft Travel Trailer with a 2017 Silverado (Gas)

If you don't stand behind our TROOPS, Feel Free to stand in front of them
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2018, 10:00 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
If you drop down to I40 you can hit some fun areas and still make good time.

Spend time in Santa Fe Amarillo, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis areas before heading back north thought West Virginia, Western PA and western NY.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:09 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I enjoy traveling on the U.S. highways as an Interstate alternative. US 36, US 6, US 30, are all roads with lots of history and still some evidence of the tourism routes they were before the Interstates. Pick your own roads and don't be afraid to use US highways.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
If you drop down to I40 you can hit some fun areas and still make good time.

Spend time in Santa Fe Amarillo, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis areas before heading back north thought West Virginia, Western PA and western NY.
We have done I-40 many many times and will on our way back until after Tennessee then we are dropping to Houston to visit family. Thanks for your suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I enjoy traveling on the U.S. highways as an Interstate alternative. US 36, US 6, US 30, are all roads with lots of history and still some evidence of the tourism routes they were before the Interstates. Pick your own roads and don't be afraid to use US highways.
Yes I see those routes on my map is one better then another? Thanks

Old 08-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
I've used parts of all of the routes I mentioned in my travels. I suggest you use Google Maps, satellite view, to see the highways and trace the routes. At any part you want a closer view, you can use 'street view' to see actual photos of the roadway and surrounds. I use it all the time when plotting a route.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #6

My suggestion, since time is limited, would be to use interstates where possible and when planning the trip look for places you would like to visit that are not too far from it. That is more or less the way we have done it for the last 40 years or so.

There were also occasions when time was not a consideration when we would travel 2 lane roads, sometimes all the way across the US, and that was enjoyable too.

Whatever you do, have fun!

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:15 AM   #7

Quote:
We have done I-40 many many times and will on our way back until after Tennessee then we are dropping to Houston to visit family. Thanks for your suggestion.

US30 and US6 will take you thru the southern suburbs of Chicago and NW Indiana. depending on time of day those roads can be very congested plus Route 30 will take you thru some neighborhoods on the Illinois side that I’d rather you avoid. US 36 takes you thru central Illinois. much less of a traffic problem.

if you want to avoid Chicago and NW Indiana...and who doesn’t...either:

- scoot thru on I-80 between 10a-2p. other than a wreck, weather or coming thru after midnight this is your best chance at avoiding traffic. no guarantee but best chance.
- route yourself thru WI and MI before dropping back south
- route yourself thru central IL and IN before popping up back north.

good luck
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:20 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I suppose if you drop down to I-40 after Wyoming and Nebraska you could sample some BBQ in Kansas City (many good locations) & visit a Harley Davison plant; then on to St Louis to visit the arch and stop at Pappy's for more BBQ (nice viewing arch from east side of river too). Then Indianapolis and on toward Columbus, OH.

After all that I-70 travel run on up to Cleveland and take in The Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame. the I-90 along Lake Erie and a short stop at Niagara Falls.

Continuing on I-90 gets you over to Albany, NY and then your free to choose how you want to NH (you didn't mention where in NH).

It's a lot of interstate but you said "...at a decent pace..." and"...can't be far off beaten path...".

A lot of times taking secondary roads is nice & casual. But it doesn't lend itself to a decent pace a lot of times. 10 days to get from Sacramento to NH (just over 3,00 miles) is probably 5 to 6 days at 8 hours per day driving (at least for me - and really don't like 8 hours days). So that leaves a few days to stop and sightsee or whatever.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:37 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to all, the route has been plotted. Probably not the best route to avoid the Chicago mess completely but Mama is happy and thus I am also..... I-80 to 39 south to 24 wiggling our way through Fort Wayne and then back to I-80 around Fremont OH...

Thanks again LeeB

Old 08-26-2018, 06:38 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
I suppose if you drop down to I-40 after Wyoming and Nebraska you could sample some BBQ in Kansas City (many good locations) & visit a Harley Davison plant; then on to St Louis to visit the arch and stop at Pappy's for more BBQ (nice viewing arch from east side of river too). Then Indianapolis and on toward Columbus, OH.

After all that I-70 travel run on up to Cleveland and take in The Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame. the I-90 along Lake Erie and a short stop at Niagara Falls.

Continuing on I-90 gets you over to Albany, NY and then your free to choose how you want to NH (you didn't mention where in NH).

It's a lot of interstate but you said "...at a decent pace..." and"...can't be far off beaten path...".

A lot of times taking secondary roads is nice & casual. But it doesn't lend itself to a decent pace a lot of times. 10 days to get from Sacramento to NH (just over 3,00 miles) is probably 5 to 6 days at 8 hours per day driving (at least for me - and really don't like 8 hours days). So that leaves a few days to stop and sightsee or whatever.
Thanks but dropping to I-40 is to far south.....

Old 08-26-2018, 07:23 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Thanks to all, the route has been plotted. Probably not the best route to avoid the Chicago mess completely but Mama is happy and thus I am also..... I-80 to 39 south to 24 wiggling our way through Fort Wayne and then back to I-80 around Fremont OH...

Thanks again LeeB
You'll pay a toll on I-80 from Fremont to the junction of I-80 and I-76. I'd leave Ft. Wayne and get on US 30 to cross Ohio. At I-71 in Mansfield, go N until I-76 E. Follow I-76 until in joins I-80, it's not a toll road at that point. If your intention is to go on I-90, from just E of Mercer take I-79 N until it merges with I-90 at Erie, PA.

If you're going to use the Ohio or NY toll roads, you'll save a lot with an EZ Pass account. EZ Pass works on all toll roads in Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and Kentucky.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-27-2018, 08:29 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You'll pay a toll on I-80 from Fremont to the junction of I-80 and I-76. I'd leave Ft. Wayne and get on US 30 to cross Ohio. At I-71 in Mansfield, go N until I-76 E. Follow I-76 until in joins I-80, it's not a toll road at that point. If your intention is to go on I-90, from just E of Mercer take I-79 N until it merges with I-90 at Erie, PA.

If you're going to use the Ohio or NY toll roads, you'll save a lot with an EZ Pass account. EZ Pass works on all toll roads in Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and Kentucky.
I plan on getting the EZ Pass thanks for the reminder. Thanks for the the route tips I'll for sure check them out. I have a older version 2010 of Streets and Trips I can use. I know not to depend on it but the Wife likes to follow along as we travel....

Thanks again..... LeeB

Old 08-27-2018, 08:40 AM   #13

Avoiding Chicago is your choice, but it's way overrated in traffic concerns. Consider US20 from Chicago to Albany, NY. It takes you through In. Amish country and NY wine country.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote