Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 01:56 PM   #15

As mentioned, ship your household and have a leisurely drive in your car.
Best of luck.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 01:58 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
If the 7-9 day forecast looks unseasonably warm, follow the above directions, and substitute I-40 west From Little Rock, AR to Flagstaff, AZ, then I-17 to Phoenix, and I-10 on across to CA. I-40 is mostly a gentle climb going west, though you will have a fairly significant descent on I-17, but downhill is less stress on the engine and transmission than climbing is. It is more scenic, and there are some interest roadside stops that are RV / towing accessible, Meteor Crater, etc. to brake up the drive.
Long climb into Albuquerque on I40 and on I17 near Camp Verde.

Glenn
Old 09-27-2020, 02:43 PM   #17

True, but there is also a bit of a climb on I-10 if you take the Hwy 375 bypass around El Paso, the alternative being the flatter drive through the center of town with an hour+ of city interstate driving to contend with.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:49 AM   #18

We live in New York City therefore don’t own a car lol. We’re looking into our options, thinking of getting a big SUV. Any recommendations?
KulJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:37 AM   #19
YC1

I agree if you have the budget to use a shipper. We had a container dropped at our home in Calif. 1 800 Pack rat. Once filled we called them for a picup.

We took our time getting to Florida and once we decided where to settle or if we had needed we could have selected a storage facility and had them deliver it.

We used a very large one and stored it for about four months. Not a scratch on anything inside.

The cost for the largest one was around 4K. Storage each month was very reasonable.

We moved far more than you could in whatever trailer you could possibly tow with a car. If you are just needing personal stuff of course a small trailer will work and you might consider buying one. I am sure it will sell easily for those leaving Kalifornia.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulJ View Post
We live in New York City therefore don’t own a car lol. We’re looking into our options, thinking of getting a big SUV. Any recommendations?

A big SUV, or better yet a pickup truck might be great for towing on this trip, but how will it be once you get to California with some of the highest gas prices in the US.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:22 AM   #21

Good point! Thank you for your advice!
So much to consider!!!
Now I’m thinking getting a moving service will be best.
It’s my husband and I and the content of our 1 bedroom apartment. We really love our furniture and don’t want to sell it and that’s how we came up with the idea of the road trip.
KulJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
You could rent a moving truck and drive it with your furniture cross country.
Then purchase a car in CA where it is not exposed to road salt.

The advice above on taking I-40 but checking for bad weather and cutting south to I-10 is excellent.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:37 PM   #23

This sounds like the perfect situation to rent a U-Haul, Ryder, etc. truck, even a small 21-22 ft E series van box chassis truck should be plenty big enough. (Uhaul calls them a 10 or 15 ft truck, as that is the length of the box on the back) It will probably cost you a couple of thousand dollars, but driving it would probably be easier than pulling a trailer if you don't have experience with trailers.

About 7 years ago I helped an old friend drive one of these (I think he rented a Pensky truck) from Louisiana to Montana, it was the "16 ft" model and they fit all of their belongings in it from a 2 bedroom apartment in Baton Rouge, though they did trim down the stuff they owned before moving and it was a tight fit. His wife and teenage son drove their car, which was also loaded down. It was such a tight fit that my carry on size duffel bag for the flight home rode inside the clothes dryer.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:42 PM   #24

Then you'd have to buy a car in Calif......no thanks....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:52 PM   #25
YC1

Not worrying about your belongings banging along the wonderful American highways, where to park for the evenings, or maybe taking a side trip along the way would be near impossible with a trailer.

As much as you like your "stuff", it can cost far more to move it than replace it. We were going "full time". Sure we did. But managed to take along enough stuff to fill an apartment. The wife just could not part with some of her stuff. So it has set in storage for the last 7 years. Yep, 7 years at around 1500 a year.

Well momma is happy knowing her Stuff is in an air conditioned place.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:16 PM   #26

If you decide to tow, I'll offer some advice: Don't try to force the vehicle to go faster than it wants to. Be patient, and if you have to drop down into a lower gear for a grade, move over with the trucks and pick a speed where the engine isn't lugging or screaming at high rpms. If the transmission is "hunting" for the right gear, shifting up and down,
when it shifts down, select that gear with the lever to hold it there until the grade improves, or push the overdrive button if you have one, to keep it out of overdrive for the grade. Don't worry about those behind you if they can pass. If you are going up a long grade and you feel the pressure to pull over be aware, it can be tough to get back up to speed should you pull over to let people pass. Yes, some places require it, but I've found it can sometimes backfire when you pull over while climbing in 2nd @40mph, then discover you have to fight like heck to get back up to speed. By then more people have pilled up behind you and you are going slower then before.

Make peace with gravity, respect it and your vehicle's drive train and you'll be just fine. Keep in mind it doesn't matter how fast you are going, it'll still piss off drivers who want to go faster, it's just a fact of towing. Also the rule of thumb is never go down a hill faster than you went up. Learn to keep you downhill speed in check without riding your brakes. Remember stopping distances increase when towing. Listen to what the vehicle is trying to tell you.

When you get near urban areas, watch what the semis do because they know the best lanes to travel in, and where the onramps and "exit only lanes" cause problems. I'm traveling in a 40 foot long motorhome towing a car so I'm almost as long as a semi and there are times I'll get behind one and do what he (or she) is doing even if it means going slower than if I "could" be going otherwise. I've let the semis get me through some tough urban traffic. Plan your lane changes in advance to give time to move over. Sometimes using you signal helps, and people will let you in, and other times it just makes them close the gap because they don't want to be behind you. Don't panic if you can get over and miss a turn, 99% of the time you drive a little ways and turn around. Learn to use "situational awareness" when you drive to keep a mental picture of what's going on around you using your mirrors. It's not only important to know what happening ahead, what's going on behind you is important too especially in traffic when you might need to change lanes. You'll find it'll all start to fall into place as you drive.

Re: U-Haul security concerns. I've found a lot of hotels will help you if you explain your concerns and ask if there's a "secure" place to park your trailer especially if you call ahead.

Ok, there's your lesson in Towing 101. Good luck. Have a safe trip. Focus on the adventure side, not the ordeal side, and your trip will be much better.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:23 PM   #27

This is a very economical way of shipping things cross country:

https://www.move.org/best-moving-container-companies/

Friends did it this way and loved it. They deliver a shipping pod/container to your place. You load it and they come & pick it up and take it to your new place where you unload it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:36 AM   #28

Agree with most responders who say ship it, from those of us who have driven since our pre teen years and towed forever, we think nothing of doing what you plan, however, if you don't currently own a car, how much experience do you have driving? No amount of love for your current possessions or the cost to ship your goods would be should override the desire to be safe, pulling a trailer or driving a box truck take some getting used to. just my .02 worth

Tags
route