Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #1

Eastern Nebraska to Houston TX

We have a wedding to attend in Houston and we have never been in Texas. Map quest shows a route through Dallas via I35E to I45 and on to Houston. From there it stays on I45 through the heart of Houston to the rv park Lake View RV Resort which we are considering staying at. Please give us your thoughts on this route. We will be traveling with our pickup and 34ft. 5th wheel. Give us your thoughts on the RV park as well. Thanks Dan
Dhoman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #2

try to time the travel thru Dallas and Houston at non rush hours. Personally, I would take the 610 loop around Houston but it can be just as bad as going 45 thru Houston. The RV park you are staying at is near the Med Center, I tried to stay there when I had some work done but they were booked full. Be sure you have a reservation.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #3

I was thinking the 610 looked better on the map. We will be arriving on the day before Thanksgiving if that makes a difference. I do plan on driving through between 9 am and 3 pm, if there are any suggestions let met know. Dan
Old 10-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #4

Just make sure you have a reservation to stay in the Houston area. Anything close to the Med Center stays pretty full. driving thru Dallas/Fw or Houston can be a long and stressful dive for each area. OK City not to bad. R U going via KC or straight South from David City?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The two RV parks in the area you are mentioning are very close to the Medical Center. As stated, make sure you get a reservation. The one you have chosen would be my choice because of location. It is somewhat off the I-610 traffic pattern, whereas the other one, South Main, is just off of I-610.

If you don't have reservations and you are looking for a CG, let me know exactly what area the wedding is in and I'll see what is available.

Traveling during non-rush hours is a very good approach, however, the Houston traffic is unpredictable. Any type of incident will slow traffic down considerably, but keep this in mind. Unless it is a major, major accident, travel will only be delayed by about 15 minutes.

You left out one highway that you may wish to take, Hwy-288S. You would pick it up in downtown Houston. As you are coming into Houston on the Pearce Elevated stay in the two right hand lanes for 288. Congestion may be thick there but nothing a city boy can't handle. (Oops! David City is a city, right?) Hwy-288S will lead you to Loop-610, and Loop-610 will take you to S. Main St, just follow the signs.

There will be some congestion around the Beltway 8, I-10, Hwy-288 and Loop-610 interchanges. Just go with the flow and watch the exit signs. You don't want to be caught in an exit only lane, or one lane to far over and miss your turn, although there are alternate ways to get to where you are going.

I'm from this area, 40 miles S of Houston and I don't find that it is that bad of a traffic compared to a lot of other areas I have traveled through. If you need any other information, give a holler via PM.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
I would time your segment through Dallas after 9 AM and before 4 PM.

I would suggest hitting Dallas between 9 and 10 AM and that would put you in Houston before 3 PM.

Good luck. You will be OK.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #7

David City is a city in Butler County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 2,906 at the 2010 census.

Not sure that will measure up to the Houston or Dallas/FW challenge.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #8

Not to worry RSHA although David City is small we have traveled through large metro areas just none of them South into Texas. We are going straight south through Wichita. I did make reservations at Lake View RV resort so that part is all set. Thanks to everyone for the information. Dan
Old 10-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #9

Do you want interstate the whole way or take the more scenic route?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #10

Timing is going to be important so We will be taking the Interstate. Dan
Old 10-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #11

Oh no fun. I was going to say you could come through Tulsa then Longview and it'd be a really nice drive avoiding all the Metroplex's traffic.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote