Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #1

Easy Route in and out of Canadian Rockies

What would be easy in and out if Canadian Rockies please
Patchesmoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2020, 04:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchesmoma View Post
Good spike. What would be easy in and out of Canadian Rockies please
I believe it was Hwy 3 in Canada, west of Calgary (where we started back) but I don't remember exactly where we came down into the US. It was somewhere in eastern Washington. It didn't bother my wife at all. Quite frankly I don't remember I-90 being all that bad.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:36 PM   #3

Where in the Canadian Rockies? The Canadian Rockies run north from Montana all the way to the Yukon. What are you trying to visit--Banff and Jasper National Parks? Waterton Lakes National Park? And where are you coming from--the West Coast, East Coast, Midwest . . .?
Old 10-24-2020, 10:57 PM   #4

Where are you starting from and where do you want to go?

We've done 93 from Montana to Radium Hot Springs and went up to Jasper and down to Banff. That's with a 40' motorhome.

We've done 97 from Omak, Washington to Golden and to on to Lake Louise.

We crossed from Sumas, WA to Hope to Kamloops and east.

We've crossed from Sumas, WA to Hope to Cache Creek and east to Vernon and on to Golden, etc.

We've crossed from Sumas, WA to Hope and Hwy 5 north to Valemount and east to Jasper.

93 between Banff and Jasper is an easy drive.

We've been to the area often and on to Alaska. We never came in from the east so someone else will have to help with that.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:04 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Isn't the border still closed?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:32 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
If you mean the route through the Rockies, Jasper has the least amount of hills to go up and down. So basically Edmonton to Jasper to Kamloops. Then you can go North, West, or South. All great areas to explore.

I hope that the border opens up for next season's holidayers.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:03 AM   #7

Quote:
You should have mentioned that you're from Ontario . Some of our American friends are concerned that you're trying to cross the border right now .

The Northern Trans Canada , Highway 16 through Jasper has the lesser of the climbs of the major routes .
When are you planning to travel ?
Where do you want to get to in BC?
Forecast for Jasper is -31C tomorrow night , you don't want to be there now.

I've covered every route between BC and Alberta , through the Rockies towing a 5er or driving my coach . Every route is doable with an RV , using the correct amount of caution.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Take the T-Can. Easy drive.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:05 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Border

Is the border closed? How does one find out? Is there a site I can go on to see? Was thinking of this may heading from florida up est cost into canada.. and possibly then to Baniff.....

Also what happens (just a thought) if it is open.... and we go... and still vacationing and for some reason in todays world it closes again....??? Would we be allowed to come back into US? I’m assuming yes... has this happened to anyone and did u just go on and finish your trip?
Thanks
Old 10-25-2020, 08:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
The Northern Trans Canada , Highway 16 through Jasper has the lesser of the climbs of the major routes . :
I guess it might also help to specify what the concern is. It's been a long time since I've been through Jasper (our trip there a few years was short circuited due to CruiseAmerica sending us out in a defective vehicle), so I don't remember it all that well. But I think it does have a lot of slopes beside the road, something that would bother my wife. We were going to take that east to west to make it a bit more tolerable for her.

Hwy 3 didn't have a lot of that, which is why I mentioned it. I also don't recall a lot of climbs and descents, but I probably had other things on my mind just wanting to get home without another major break down.

Also, going through Banff and Jasper is a bit out of the way, but well worth it due to the scenery (something I do remember).
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetseal40 View Post
Is the border closed? How does one find out? Is there a site I can go on to see? Was thinking of this may heading from florida up est cost into canada.. and possibly then to Baniff.....

Also what happens (just a thought) if it is open.... and we go... and still vacationing and for some reason in todays world it closes again....??? Would we be allowed to come back into US? I’m assuming yes... has this happened to anyone and did u just go on and finish your trip?
Thanks
Border closed , to non-essential travel , between Canada and the USA, since March 21 , 2020 , latest extension of the closure is till Nov 21. but rumor is it probably won't open till the new year . Hopefully by May 2021 , it'll be open and tourist travel between the countries will be back to a new normal .
Many threads here in the forums about the subject ; and I'm sure if you Google search Canada / US border closure, you'll come up with days of reading.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetseal40 View Post
Is the border closed? How does one find out? Is there a site I can go on to see?
The Canadian Border web sites have lots of information.

If it closes when you're there you'd probably be considered to be on "non-essential" traveling mode and would need to stop siteseeing and head for the border immediately. That has happened to some. If you try to continue siteseeing you'd be in for some high fines... as has happened, also.

Next summer is a long way off... hopefully things will be much, much better.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:13 PM   #13

The original poster should supply more information about the trip. Time of year, destination or what they want to see in the Rockies, starting point or a midway point before getting to the Rockies, alot more pertinent information could be supplied.
Someone earlier mentioned that they were from Ontario so could eliminate border open/closed concerns.
Destination, The Rockies or Vancouver or??. If it is just to say the Rockies, what part, Fraser River canyon, Yoho NP, Banff NP, Jasper NP Columbia Icefields?
Easiest, mountain driving wise would be By 16 from Edmonton. But the others Hy3 or Hy1 from Calgary would also have advantages but also have steeper climbs/desents but nothing that truckers do everyday.

Ken
We have done three trips out west from Ontario and I would plan on 5 days driving to get to the Foothills.
K
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:40 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Basically there are 3 routes through the Rockies. Trans Canada heading west from Calgary. Hwy 16 heading west from Edmonton, Hwy 3 heading west from Lethbridge. Of the 3, the easiest drive is probably Hwy 16. Trans Canada is okay but traffic tends to be heavy during the tourist season. Hwy 3 is probably the most challenging of the drives and the least direct if you continue to head west. There are a lot of direction changes on that Hwy in BC and none of it is very direct but in my humble opinion that area is probably some of the most scenic and full of lots of little places that can divert with interesting mining history, ghost towns etc.