Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2018, 09:08 AM   #15

As stated above, if you're coming up the Oregon coast into Washington, continue on 101 in Washington around the Olympic Peninsula. Then stay in Port Townsend - a wonderful, fun little town in summer. Try to get a site at Fort Worden State Park on the water. Then take the Coupeville ferry to Anacortes.

From Port Townsend you can easily drive the towed to Port Angeles for your day trip to Victoria. When we got to Victoria we took the public bus out to Burchart Gardens. It made for a nice day. Another day trip to the drive to Hurricane Ridge, part of Olympic Nat'l Park. Yet another day you can drive south in your towed to Bainbridge Island and take the short ferry to the Seattle waterfront at the Aquarium. Catch the monorail that will whisk you across town to the Olympic Space Needle. Take the monorail back and tour Pike Market before boarding the ferry for your return. Makes for a very nice day.

Whatever you do, don't miss the Olympic Peninsula of Washington!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2018, 05:43 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
As stated above, if you're coming up the Oregon coast into Washington, continue on 101 in Washington around the Olympic Peninsula. Then stay in Port Townsend - a wonderful, fun little town in summer. Try to get a site at Fort Worden State Park on the water. Then take the Coupeville ferry to Anacortes.

From Port Townsend you can easily drive the towed to Port Angeles for your day trip to Victoria. When we got to Victoria we took the public bus out to Burchart Gardens. It made for a nice day. Another day trip to the drive to Hurricane Ridge, part of Olympic Nat'l Park. Yet another day you can drive south in your towed to Bainbridge Island and take the short ferry to the Seattle waterfront at the Aquarium. Catch the monorail that will whisk you across town to the Olympic Space Needle. Take the monorail back and tour Pike Market before boarding the ferry for your return. Makes for a very nice day.

Whatever you do, don't miss the Olympic Peninsula of Washington!
Thanks to all the replies from local ferry users, very useful information. And thanks twogypsies for the extra information. We are now going to take the Port Townsend ferry as our next stop will be Burlington and that works out better missing the heavy traffic near Seattle.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:57 AM   #17

we've had fun with ferries.... and they're ALL different!

The Dawson City's ferry over the Yukon river was easy, and FUN!... all open, and with us onboard, there was little room for but a few cars... nice.

The Haines to Skagway ferry was a different experience all-together!... Fun, but different. We had to BACK DOWN to whole 500' ramp into the 'hull' of the SHIP(not a simple ferry like you might think, but a SHIP!)... and then make a backing turn and all the way to the rear of the interior, where all the vehicles, including motorcycles, park during the travel.
Reaching Skagway, we were then the next-to-last to unload, to the unfortunate aggravation of a motorcycle tour group that took a little too long to get their whole group ready. As we drove out, and up the ramp, the transition at the open dock did not suit motorhomes well, especially longer wheel base varieties, and our 'low stance' XCS chassis didn't help. It took them 30 minutes or more of 'blocking' under our front and rear wheels to inch us along over the transition areas. The motorcycle group was eating our exhaust and miffed the whole time! Oh well.... alls well that ends well. It was beautiful!

Fun !
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #18

well, I said the Port Townsend run option first.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:47 PM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
They run semis on and off all the time.
Semi's have loads of ground clearance compared to long diesel pushers !

I'm on and off ferries all the time. You don't want to board/ unboard on extreme high, or low tides. I'm just glad I have air leveling, and can raise the coach up during slow speed driving.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:38 PM   #20

P-T to Coupeville is affected by very low tides and can be cancelled for one round trip. The channel into Coupeville is a bit tricky for the skipper and helmsman when the tide is low.

If you come that way, be aware that the road from Coupeville to Anacortes is 2-lane. Its really narrow over the bridge at Deception Pass, which was built early in the Depression. An 8' 6" wide rig won't be a big problem unless there's a lot of tractor-trailer rigs coming towards you, then you have to be careful.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:23 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
P-T to Coupeville is affected by very low tides and can be cancelled for one round trip. The channel into Coupeville is a bit tricky for the skipper and helmsman when the tide is low.

If you come that way, be aware that the road from Coupeville to Anacortes is 2-lane. Its really narrow over the bridge at Deception Pass, which was built early in the Depression. An 8' 6" wide rig won't be a big problem unless there's a lot of tractor-trailer rigs coming towards you, then you have to be careful.
I was aware the road was two lane and did some virtual travel via Google maps. It did not seem to be a problem as we have been on many narrow two lane roads with the coach.

You do have me worried about the ferry. Are you saying I should not take the Port Townsend to Coupeville ferry and move down to the Kingston Lynnwood ferry or are you just suggesting we should compare the ferry schedule against the tides?

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:10 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
If you have internet it's easy to find out the tides and just schedule before or after a low tide. Reservations are required.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
First the only Ferry I am aware of from Port Angels goes to Victoria. Kingston is at least and hour from Port Angels. If you are headed South on I5 I would skip the Ferry and head for Olympia on 101 to joint I5. If north bound or east bound then either the Port Townsend Keystone Ferry to Whidbey, then to I5. Or as you stated The Kingston Edmonds Ferry to I5. As stated about look for a medium to higher tide for crossing. But the Ferry landings have adjustable ramps and at most tides are a non problem.

LEN
Old 01-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
I was aware the road was two lane and did some virtual travel via Google maps. It did not seem to be a problem as we have been on many narrow two lane roads with the coach.

You do have me worried about the ferry. Are you saying I should not take the Port Townsend to Coupeville ferry and move down to the Kingston Lynnwood ferry or are you just suggesting we should compare the ferry schedule against the tides?

Bob
We live 6 miles from the ferry on the Whidbey side. There are cancellations due to low tides, but they are predictable and published well in advance. You need a reservation (not absolutely required but highly recommended for your rig) and they won't take a reservation for a trip that will be cancelled by tides.

There also may be wind cancellations, which are unpredictable. As far as loading or unloading during low tides, it would only be a problem if you have a real long overhang.

The roads on Whibey are normal 2 lane with good shoulders except for a narrow stretch soon after you leave the ferry. I've had my class A over the bridge many times. It seems narrow and scary at first, but it really is plenty wide. Just watch your lane alignment and you'll be fine.

While you are on the island, stop and enjoy Coupeville and the Ebey National Historic Reserve (18000 acres of protected town, forests, and farm land).
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #25

Coupeville area is very popular with RVers so many travel on the two-lane road. For the ferry, just look at the tide map and plan accordingly. RVs use that ferry all the time. It's just good to be aware of any issues.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip