Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2018, 05:14 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Edmonds-Kingston Ferry?

We have a 40 foot coach and tow a car and would like to use this ferry to travel from Port Angels to pick up North I-5. We have only had one other ferry experience with the motorhome and that was from Skagway to Hanies Alaska. We had to disconnect the car and drive down the ramp and then back the coach into the small bow door turning 90 degrees as we proceeded. That was not a fun experience and one we do not wish to repeat. The photos below will give you a little taste of that experience.

Has anyone used the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry with a 40 foot coach towing? Is it a drive on drive off ferry or must you disconnect the toad and back the coach onto the ferry?

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Not much room to spare.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	189450   Click image for larger version

Name:	They had to adjust the ramp.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	189451  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Our motorhome packed in.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	189452  
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #2

A few years back we took the ferry from Anacortes to Victoria island. It was straight on-straight off, and took 18 wheel trucks. Your intended route is probably also part of the BC ferry system (?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
We have a 40 foot coach and tow a car and would like to use this ferry to travel from Port Angels to pick up North I-5. We have only had one other ferry experience with the motorhome and that was from Skagway to Hanies Alaska. We had to disconnect the car and drive down the ramp and then back the coach into the small bow door turning 90 degrees as we proceeded. That was not a fun experience and one we do not wish to repeat. The photos below will give you a little taste of that experience.

Has anyone used the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry with a 40 foot coach towing? Is it a drive on drive off ferry or must you disconnect the toad and back the coach onto the ferry?

Bob
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:17 AM   #3

When we use the Anderson Island Ferry, and some of the ferries in the San Juans, the ferry's themselves weren't the problem. The problem comes from the loading ramps, especially if you are looking at a minus tide! You will high center for sure. Check the tide schedule, and go for boarding/departing during the highest tide you can find if in doubt.
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We did the E-K ferry with the old rig (1994 34 ft. Airstream) pulling a tandem trailer with a Honda Goldwing and a Kawasaki Concours and had no problems. They run semis on and off all the time.
Happy Glamping.
ps. John Wayne Marina has a little RV area that is nice and quiet close to PA.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:50 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You might want to check the expense prior and also check on making a reservation which is advised since you Are in a big rig.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady puffin View Post
You might want to check the expense prior and also check on making a reservation which is advised since you Are in a big rig.
Agree 100%...several years ago our PU and 32' 5th wheel was $85.00...I elected to go around thru Tacoma.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #7

We used vancouver to swartz bay ferry (Vancouver Island) in our 40' w tag. No issues, we did drop the toad and pay seperate fare. The thing about BC ferries is that in the summer, they have a 'sale' on RVs. Every foot over 20' is charged at 1/2 normal rate. Saved us some bucks! Of course, you have to pick a route and time that is covered under the sale fare, but still convenient times. We've also taken our 21'TT and Grand Cherokee on a couple of Wa state ferries. Our length just made the 40' cutoff! (over 40' extra charges).

Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands are beautiful!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info so far but I must not have made myself clear. We are not taking the coach on any ferry going to British Columbia. The ferry we would use is the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry that crosses over from the Port Angels, WA area to the north Seattle area. Lynnwood to be precise. Here is a Google map showing the ferry location.

https://tinyurl.com/yd6mekfd

I have been to the ferry website and understand the cost and the need for a reservation and would make one well in advance. I was hoping to find someone who could tell me if the ferry was a drive on/drive off type as I have no desire to back into the bow of a ferry ever again. If that particular ferry transports 18 wheelers then it must be a drive on/drive off. Sounds like we should call the ferry company and find out if the tide level is a problem. We have never been any farther west with the coach than Montana so have no experience with the area including Oregon and California. That is the goal of this trip and we hope to visit California, Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. We already have reservations for Salt Lake City, Reno, Yosemite, Sequoia, San Francisco, Avenue of the Giants, Oregon coast, Crater Lake and up to Portland. Working our way north with the planning. Will take a ferry to Victoria but only a day trip without the coach.

Bob
Old 01-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Thanks for the info so far but I must not have made myself clear. We are not taking the coach on any ferry going to British Columbia. The ferry we would use is the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry that crosses over from the Port Angels, WA area to the north Seattle area. Lynnwood to be precise. Here is a Google map showing the ferry location.

https://tinyurl.com/yd6mekfd

I have been to the ferry website and understand the cost and the need for a reservation and would make one well in advance. I was hoping to find someone who could tell me if the ferry was a drive on/drive off type as I have no desire to back into the bow of a ferry ever again. If that particular ferry transports 18 wheelers then it must be a drive on/drive off. Sounds like we should call the ferry company and find out if the tide level is a problem. We have never been any farther west with the coach than Montana so have no experience with the area including Oregon and California. That is the goal of this trip and we hope to visit California, Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. We already have reservations for Salt Lake City, Reno, Yosemite, Sequoia, San Francisco, Avenue of the Giants, Oregon coast, Crater Lake and up to Portland. Working our way north with the planning. Will take a ferry to Victoria but only a day trip without the coach.

Bob
Simple answer is YES, the only Washington Ferry run that could require backing is in the San Juan’s. All others are drive on drive off both in a forward direction.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:23 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Simple answer is YES, the only Washington Ferry run that could require backing is in the San Juan’s. All others are drive on drive off both in a forward direction.
Thanks Russ and Paula, I feel better now.

Bob
Old 01-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #11

You won't have any problem. All the ones I've been on, they put the trucks, semi's, down the middle lanes. I've made maybe a hundred trips over to Vashon, I worked there for about a year and a half and our trucks, King County Solid Waste, went there every day, 18 wheelers. I've been on the Bainbridge run, as well as Anacortes to Victoria. Have you considered the Port Townsend to Coupeville run?? I've been on that one also. Gets you further North of Seattle and all the traffic. All the boats are basically built the same, just different sizes I would call though in case something is weird for whatever reason. Backing up, never seen that unless someone in front of you is broke down. You will be ok.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/pdf/wsfroutemap.pdf
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
They are all drive on-drive off unless you are going to or from one of the smaller Islands that are infrequent travel destinations. Also, an option Port Townsend (directly West of Port Angeles) to Whidbey Island and drive North across Deception Pass to Anacortes and out to I-5. All of the major ferry ports can accommodate large vehicles. Sometimes you can save a little by disconnecting the toad if the combination with tow bar puts you into the next length rate.
We reside in Anacortes but are South for the remainder of the season.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:42 PM   #13

I'll add the no problem on that run. I suggest you check the cost of disconnecting the toad and driving on separately versus staying hooked up. They charge in 10 foot increments over 30 feet, so it's worth doing the math.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:06 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've done the Edmonds - Kingston ferry many times, although not in the coach. But I can assure you all the traffic on said ferry is straight on and straight off, with several MHs or 18-wheelers a regular complement.

We did take our coach (towing) on the Mukilteo-Clinton ferry, and then on the Coupeville-Port Townsend. The latter is one where-- as someone mentioned-- you must stay aware of the state of the tide at boarding/disembarking time, as the ramps can get quite steep. We were blissfully ignorant at the time, but got lucky.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip