RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2020, 07:28 PM   #1

El Paso to Flagstaff

Weíre headed west from Texas. One of our target locations is Flagstaff. Originally, I was planning a pretty simple route - I10 to I17 north to Flagstaff. With the Arizona fires and recent (short) I17 closure due to the fire, Iím thinking of a different route. Google gave me this alternative -

I10 west out of El Paso
I25 north
60 west at Socorro
191 north at Springerville
180 north at St Johns
I40 at Holbrook

My biggest concern, we travel in a 40í diesel pusher...pulling a car. Iím very comfortable just taking my time and going slow. What I donít like are super twisty/curvey roads (like Hwy 1 on the west coast). I donít mind steep climbs/decent - our engine brakes really handle steep decent really well...again, I just go slow.

Any advice on that route given my driving equipment?

Thanks, Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2020, 09:28 PM   #2

I drove from Flagstaff through El Paso and on to Louisiana by way of the Hill Country at the end of October.

My route was somewhat different, but one you may wish to consider in reverse. My route was I-40 from Flagstaff with stops at Meteor Crater, to Holbrook, then Hwy 180 to the Petrified Forest NP south entrance where I spent the night at the free campground, and on to Saint Johns, AZ (a surprisingly scenic little town), south on US 191 to Springerville where I spent another night, then on south to Alpine, where I turned onto US 180, spending 3 or 4 nights in the Gila National Forest area, and on south through Silver City to Deming.

The vast majority of this route was good road, with the exception of a few miles of rough pavement just outside Holbrook, not bad road, just roughly finished pavement. There was also a few miles of sub par highway in the Gila national forest, from the NM state line down to around the intersection with NM 12. The section throughout the the Gila National Forest is scenic, a bit winding with a speed limit of about 50 mph. Just be aware there are limited pull off spots for big rigs between Alpine and Silver city, and no good fuel stops, so make sure you have a full tank of fuel before entering this stretch.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:09 PM   #3

Your planned route is an easy one. If you're ready to call it a day .... on 180 at the entrance road to Petrified Forest there's a rock shop to stay - Rainbow Forest Museum, I believe ... a few hookups or dry camping. You could disconnect your toad and take the road through Petrified Forest for a look see.

ON EDIT: Oops... I see Isaac-1 told you about the camping.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:00 AM   #4

This is a very useful website:

inciweb.nwcg.gov

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:16 AM   #5

Thank you for the feedback/ideas.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:43 PM   #6

From Phoenix on I-17 North to Flagstaff you will find some serious up hill driving. Check some maps for topography. We always use I25 to Albequerque the went to Flag. Then we go So. on I-17 to our destination (Camp Verde). Then on departure we head So. on I-17 to PHX.
Of course we have an old long winded girl with Cat 330.

connlonn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ags