Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2015, 07:20 PM   #1

EZ Pass

We are going from FL to CT, we have EZ pass on the MH. We are taking a trailer with 2 axils will there be a problem going through the tolls?

2003 Monico Windsor 370HP
Summerfield, FL.

Toad: Volvo
hshiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2015, 07:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Not if your EZ-Pass is setup for towing. That's how mine is setup, I have one for the RV which "presumes" I'm towing my toad and another transponder for the toad when not being towed.

For your trip, you might be able to get it programmed that way, not sure where your home state is for the EZ-Pass transponder.

If it's not setup that way, you'd be best off going through the cash booths and pay.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #3

Kind of interesting; today I got a violation notice from New York state E-ZPass that I had a violation for using the EZP lane without an EZP. They are correct, I do not have an EZP. I also have never been in New York state and never will be in that state. They even had an Illinois plate number but it does not match any of my plates. So I protested the violation for the reasons I just stated and asked to be reembursed for my postage. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:18 PM   #4

I like your style, Jim!
Old 05-18-2015, 10:33 PM   #5

Nice!!
robertsonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:36 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hshiner....... Call the customer service of your EZ-Pass issuer, and ask if their system will automatically pick up the trailer. We have an IL I-Pass (same network) and that's how ours works. The transponder on my MH sets the system to look and see how many axles are involved. They may need to issue you a different type of transponder, or perhaps they can reprogram it remotely.

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:40 AM   #7

They don't need a different transponder. You can go to their web site and register a trailer or toad for youe existing transponder.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #8

I don't know how other states operate, but here in DELAWARE I have an EZPass transponder for each of my vehicles. If I am pulling a trailer with any vehicle in any state that accepts EZPass, the toll system counts axles and charges my DE account accordingly. If I'm pulling a transponder equipped vehicle with a transponder equipped vehicle I need to put the TOWED vehicle transponder in a shielded plastic bag so the system doesn't get confused.

Just an additional note. Here in the mid-Atlantic area the idiots setting the tolls on a number of bridges seem to think it's OK to screw the RV'ers and truckers. For instance when crossing the Chesapeake Bay bridge the toll for a 3 axle RV pulling a 2 axle toad is $36 whereas a 3 axle RV alone is $12 and a car/pickup alone is $5.40. I disconnect EVERY TIME I CROSS, and reconnect 30 yards beyond the toll booth. It's not a matter of the money, it's the principal. http://www.mdta.maryland.gov/Toll_Ra...dge_Rates.html
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #9

Having a transponder for each of your vehicles may be convenient, but is not required. I have one transponder that I have routinely moved between three different vehicles with absolutely no problem.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
When I got my EZ-PASS transponders for the RV and the toad from Massachusetts, I spent a good deal of time with the counter person asking questions about counting axles and towing etc. They gave me a transponder for the motor home that would always assume we were towing the toad as a dinghy. They also gave me a transponder for the toad alone.

When we are in the RV towing I just keep the toad's transponder in a protective pouch. They said if I am driving the RV or the toad without a trailer (just 2 axles), put the RV transponder in the pouch and just use the toad's transponder in either vehicle.

In other words the RV is treated as a car when it's not towing.
CaptSteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am in the process of getting an ez-pass and just learned that in PA. Any RV over 15000 lbs you must get a commercial account. It is so confusing how all 15 states have totally different guidelines and discounts. The FL Sunpass is a lot easier. Just trying to get a pass mainly for convenience.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:52 AM   #12

Bought my EZ Pass from North Carolina. Covers east coast Maine to Florida n good part of mid-west.
No problem towing in past but let you know more when I get home n go through mail.
Been gone six weeks.
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:23 PM   #13

I live in Michigan and picked up the transponder from Delaware. One time $15 transponder fee. No additional charges unless you want a mostly statement. Set it all up online and tied it into a credit card. Used it earlier this month with no problems. Worked great. Also the weight rating put it into an"special" class but not commercial like PA.

2000 Gulf Stream Conquest, first MH (bought 8/14)
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Unknown Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #14

In Seattle you need a separate transponder for each vehicle.
robertsonr is offline   Reply With Quote