Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #15

US101 from Astoria OR to Crescent City CA.
Washington Highway 11 from Burlington to Bellingham
WA 20 from Burlington to Winthrop
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 02:34 PM   #16

I 84 through the Columbia River Gore is impressive and the old highway is even more so but not RV friendly. There is an even better view from 14 on the Washington side. Sadly the Gorge where I grew up has just had a major fire at Eagle Creek that did major damage to the Oregon side and even some in Wa, but they did save the Lodge at Multnomah Falls. It will take years to recover.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
While I've driven many of the listed routes, my favorite is still the Going to the Sun road in Glacier National Park. You can't take most RVs (21' length, 10' height & 8' width limits) but driving it each way provides breathtaking views.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #18

Howdy!

We've traveled a few in ten years of fulltiming. I would have to say the Alaskan highway.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:54 AM   #19

We've traveled extensively throughout North America and are just back from 2 wks in Alaska. Beautiful! But gotta say imho the most amazing, scenic drive ever has been on the Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Banff National Parks, Alberta. Beautiful roads, wondrous snow-capped mountains all around you, turquoise glacial lakes and rivers, plus regular sightings of grizzly, black bear, elk, big-horn sheep, bald eagles, osprey, ... Incredible!
TitanCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #20

I know this is an RV forum, but you can't really appreciate the beauty of some of the roads mentioned from an RV, car, or truck.
There is a reason bikers (motorcyclist) refer to cars & trucks as "cages" (if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand).

I have ridden many of the highways already mentioned.
Some of my favorites are the Million Dollar Highway & Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado.
However, while those & others are spectacular, I have also ridden some two-lane back roads in east Texas and Arkansas that are just good for the soul.... gentle sweeping curves with trees canopied over the road... and not another vehicle in sight.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:23 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Haven't had the opportunity to get much further west then K.C. but east of the Mississippi US302 thru the While Mountains of New Hampshire and CN400/69 in Canada along the east shore of Lake Huron have been my most memorable.

US17 thru North and South Carolina and US81 thru eastern Nebraska gave me a greater sense of the small communities, the people and the wide open spaces that fill in the blanks areas on a map.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #22
doc

Appalachian Campers
The Beartooth and Chief Joseph
Going to the Sun from West Glacier to St Marys
Cherohala Skyway from Tellico Plains to The Tail of the Dragon
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanCruiser View Post
We've traveled extensively throughout North America and are just back from 2 wks in Alaska. Beautiful! But gotta say imho the most amazing, scenic drive ever has been on the Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Banff National Parks, Alberta. Beautiful roads, wondrous snow-capped mountains all around you, turquoise glacial lakes and rivers, plus regular sightings of grizzly, black bear, elk, big-horn sheep, bald eagles, osprey, ... Incredible!
beautiful, BUT the op asked about the USA,
Old 09-25-2017, 05:26 PM   #24

OK......all the Western U.S. roads.....y'all have been active, now I'm going to represent one in the Eastern U.S.

Blue Ridge Parkway
Cherohala Skyway (TN and N.C.)....this is OMG beautiful in the fall foliage time of the year. And I agree with a previous poster.....it's a whole different level of beauty on a motorcycle.
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
OK......all the Western U.S. roads.....y'all have been active, now I'm going to represent one in the Eastern U.S.

Blue Ridge Parkway
Cherohala Skyway (TN and N.C.)....this is OMG beautiful in the fall foliage time of the year. And I agree with a previous poster.....it's a whole different level of beauty on a motorcycle.
You are correct the East Coast has a number of drives that will take you Breath Away - Fall of Spring on the way to Upstate NY, hard to imagine so much Beauty has New York City, But even NYC can take your breath away if you get lucky - REALLY LUCKY - and find it with no real Traffic - did it once and it truly took My Breath Away. (You need to be Really LUCKY)

The Mountains around Asheville - RT 64.

To Drive along the Atlantic Coast at Sunrise and see Cotton Candy Clouds with the Sunrise, Hard to beat. - RT 1

Route 7 through Vermont's Green Mountain National Forest, in almost any Season - RT 7

I could go on and on but I think I'll leave a few for the others her on the East Coast.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:05 PM   #26

FM 170 from Lajitas (Big Bend Nat'l Park area) Texas to Presidio TX. I'm not sure if it still is but used to be one of the top 10 rated roads by AAA every year. Best to leave the RV at Maverick Ranch or similar and do it a towed or on a bike. We go up for lunch then back. At that point the Rio Grande is far below in a canyon.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
beautiful, BUT the op asked about the USA,
read the fine print he includes canada
my vote also goes for the ice-field parkway.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
easy...the drive thru Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills
I'll second this.

Also..

Drive from Chamberlain, SD up to Ft. Thompson via SD highways 50 and 34 to get to Left Tailrace Campground, Corp of Eng, in the middle of the river below the Big Bend Dam.

Charles

Tags
alaska, alaska trip