Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2019, 07:21 PM   #1

Ferry boat from Mich to Wisc.

Starting my research a little early. Planning a trip to Mich next summer to visit a friend and then go to Wisc to visit my daughter. Instead of going thru Chicago I was told that I could take a ferry across the Lake. Would this be less costly than burning diesel going around thru Chicago, plus tolls?
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2019, 07:27 PM   #2

5 seconds on google:
https://www.ssbadger.com/

$86/foot for RV one way.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Slight correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
5 seconds on google:
https://www.ssbadger.com/

$86/foot for RV one way.
It’s $87 per person plus $7 per foot for the RV. Probably not cheaper, but far less frustrating and faster than driving 94/90 Michigan to Wis. where are you coming from? Done both trips numerous times, but without and RV, prefer the Badger whenever it makes sense.

If you know your travel dates in advance you can take advantage of their pre season pricing to save a few $$$.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:26 PM   #4
WDW

An historic trip on a national treasure of a vessel. Both communities on each side offer fun things to do. Worth the price of admission.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:37 PM   #5

It's $72 for adults;

$67 for Senior 55+;

$7/foot RV

Much better than driving!!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:17 AM   #6

Not a bad price for a four hour ferry ride, and bypassing Chicago traffic!!!!!!!!
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:25 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've looked into it also and it's a time versus cost problem. Even with the poor mileage of my gas coach the cost to drive is much less than the ferry. I can easily manage Chicago traffic by timing my pass thru just the same as I would have to time my arrival at the ferry crossing point. If I was driving a class B rather than a 30' class A maybe. The $350 crossing cost will buy a lot of fuel.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:52 AM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Depending on your start and stop points it's likely much more expensive to use the ferry than to drive. Here's our example:

Every summer we travel from Door County, Wisconsin to Petoskey, Michigan; the distance by road is about 350 miles. I thought the ferry might be an interesting change to our route but, at almost $530 (7x45+67+67+72+6.5), it didn't make sense; I can go 1,500 miles on $530 worth of diesel.

I might still have done it once, but the departure and arrival times from WI to MI weren't conducive to our travel: arriving in MI at 7pm we'd still have to travel 3+ hours to get to Petoskey.

If we were just crossing in a car we'd do it, but not in a big RV and towing; just my opinion.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #9

I think you have to view the ferry trip as a pleasant 'journey'. For a family, yes it could be expensive. For a couple it could be viewed as a relaxing, traffic-free adventure. Chicago traffic is awful!
Old 09-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #10

We did the ferry in a car many years ago and my memory is that it took a very long time from required arrival at the terminal to departure. Something like a 3 - 4 hour wait while they loaded railroad cars & trucks. Maybe things are different now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
Depending on your start and stop points it's likely much more expensive to use the ferry than to drive. Here's our example:

Every summer we travel from Door County, Wisconsin to Petoskey, Michigan; the distance by road is about 350 miles. I thought the ferry might be an interesting change to our route but, at almost $530 (7x45+67+67+72+6.5), it didn't make sense; I can go 1,500 miles on $530 worth of diesel.

I might still have done it once, but the departure and arrival times from WI to MI weren't conducive to our travel: arriving in MI at 7pm we'd still have to travel 3+ hours to get to Petoskey.

If we were just crossing in a car we'd do it, but not in a big RV and towing; just my opinion.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
We did the ferry in a car many years ago and my memory is that it took a very long time from required arrival at the terminal to departure. Something like a 3 - 4 hour wait while they loaded railroad cars & trucks. Maybe things are different now.
They don't carry RR cars and from their FAQ on the website they advise to be there only 1 hr. before departure.

It takes 4 hr. to cross.... better than driving from that point to point.

"The S.S. Badger offers the largest cross-lake passenger service on the Great Lakes and an authentic steamship experience. The relaxing four-hour, 60-mile cruise takes passengers, autos, RVs, tour buses, motorcycles, bicycles, and commercial trucks across Lake Michigan between Ludington, Michigan and Manitowoc, Wisconsin."
Old 09-23-2019, 01:51 PM   #12

https://www.lake-express.com/?gclid=...SAAEgLoxPD_BwE
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Trailers and vehicles can only be 18' long. Very pricey!
Old 09-24-2019, 08:50 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Lake Express out of Milwaukee to Muskegan also has a height limit of 9 foot (if my memory is correct)
The ferry from Manitowoc is much larger.

I used the Lake Express twice this month to pick up vehicles in Michigan from an auction, very fast (2 1/2 hr) and comfortable.

Lake Express is about $100 per car and $100 per person.

Jim